UPDATE: Spring Hill hires Shawn Copeland (AD) and Brandon Joslin (HFC)

Valhalla

3 hours ago, Nacwagons said:

Out of that group only Robert Bero had a better season record than 5-5. Bero went 8-4 in 04, 6-5 in 06, 7-4 in 07. His last season there in 2012 was 2-8. Spring Hill has been a revolving door of no better that 5-5 since. 

Fun fact about Bero. I believe he retired from coaching after that 2-8 2012 season, Jeff Traylor lured him out of retirement in 2014 and Bero got a state championship with Gilmer that year and immediately retired again! Lol! 

1 hour ago, WinstonsStolenCrabLegs said:

Spring Hill’s district is stronger that PT’s district is. 

its kinda comparable though seeing how in most years both districts are a battle for third. 5A T-High & Marshall then everyone else 4A Gilmer & PG then everyone else.

2 minutes ago, Lucyanaballcoach68 said:

In Texas ,what's the usual turn around time for a head job opening to completion of hire?

Job has to be posted for I believe 2 weeks (state law). Now whether they already have a guy in mind or not is to be determined. The hiring committee normally starts to together when they get word of the opening and then go from there as far as narrowing down candidates. 

1 minute ago, MattStepp said:

It can be as quick as two weeks if the ISD has their act together...but it can also take 3-4 months lol

In my parish I have seen it take an entire semester- even seen where a head coach had to "volunteer " through spring before publicly accepting the job at end of semester. (RED-Tape) ...Puts the kids and the program in a bind. 

18 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

It can be as quick as two weeks if the ISD has their act together...but it can also take 3-4 months lol

It only taking two weeks doesn't mean they have their act together.  It could mean that they are lazy and just hire someone quick because they don't want to go through the process of doing an exhaustive search.  It could also mean they do have their act together.  Taking 3-4 months could also mean they are doing their due diligence to find the right guy for them. Every situation is different.  

On 2/23/2022 at 7:28 AM, PantherNation2015 said:

I’m sure someone with an inclination to do so could look up the salary of current SH AD/HC and compare to expected salary of position coach with given experience at GISD.  They would probably find not much difference in $ for a whole lot less headache and more W’s.  

So the message to SH Admin & Board should be we can’t keep doing the same thing over and over again and expect different results (7 AD/HC in 12 years).  Acknowledge the previous strategy (or lack there of) was flawed, correct it, and go hire a proven AD/HC with a track record of success in all sports who will invest 4-5 years minimum to build something to be proud of.  Give him the support he asks for, but hold him accountable for results.  Last but not least, do NOT separate the AD & HFC roles into two positions!

Why did Spring Hill just promote the Interim Superintendent and not bring a quality and experienced Sup.. This is what happens when administration places no value on Athletics. SH will have trouble finding a good HC with the administration in place 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, SHillBuckeye said:

Fun fact about Bero. I believe he retired from coaching after that 2-8 2012 season, Jeff Traylor lured him out of retirement in 2014 and Bero got a state championship with Gilmer that year and immediately retired again! Lol! 

Bero decided he had had enough after the 2009 season.  He went to work in Gilmer in 2010....Spring Hill board members felt they had a mini Southlake Carrol(some still do) and brought in Bill Poe to coach them to a state championship.  After a 6-14 campaign, and realizing the real athletes sported a rocking L on their helmet, he split...And how can you forget the Chadwick experiment?

2 hours ago, chubbychecker said:

It only taking two weeks doesn't mean they have their act together.  It could mean that they are lazy and just hire someone quick because they don't want to go through the process of doing an exhaustive search.  It could also mean they do have their act together.  Taking 3-4 months could also mean they are doing their due diligence to find the right guy for them. Every situation is different.  

I've been involved in coaching searches and in zero instances does it take 3-4 months to find a new HFC/AD...there's no excuse for that and reflects mismanagement and a lack of accountability inside of the district

• Like 2
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, eagle34 said:

Why did Spring Hill just promote the Interim Superintendent and not bring a quality and experienced Sup.. This is what happens when administration places no value on Athletics. SH will have trouble finding a good HC with the administration in place 

That is above my pay grade.  However, I’d argue the current Supt was qualified when promoted.  See bio below.  

Fleet has 37 years of service in education, which includes ten years as a classroom teacher and COACH, 12 years in administration, and 15 years at Spring Hill working in curriculum and special programs. She received her Bachelor of Science from Centenary College of Louisiana, and her Masters in Administrative Education and Superintendent Certification from Stephen F. Austin State University.”  

From what I can tell, the AD/HC isn’t leaving because of issues with Mrs Fleet.   Her current salary is $165k which should give her & the Board plenty of room to raise the salary expectations on the AD/HC position and bring in a quality candidate.  The question is will they?

1 hour ago, MattStepp said:

I've been involved in coaching searches and in zero instances does it take 3-4 months to find a new HFC/AD...there's no excuse for that and reflects mismanagement and a lack of accountability inside of the district

Well I am not a reporter, I'm just a person that was in education for 35 years.  What do I know.....

1 hour ago, MattStepp said:

This statement almost reminds me of policy created by the TEA that came from people that have never taught in a classroom........

• Mr. P changed the title to UPDATE: Spring Hill hires Shawn Copeland (AD) and Brandon Joslin (HFC)