Playoff history

darktower

2 hours ago, darktower said:

Does anybody remember the years that Texas went to 2 teams in Playoffs?    Three teams in Playoffs    4 Teams in playoffs

5A (now 6A..soon to be 7A) wise..

4 teams came in 2006.

3 teams came in 1990.

2 teams came in 1982.

23 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

Might as well let all teams in the playoffs ... it's so watered down ....

Meh....It's only watered down for a week.  Most of those 3rd and 4th place teams will lose in the first round.  Those that win....good on them for beating a district champion who must have come from a weak district. 

One more week of football.  I just don't get the argument against it.  It's like complaining about about more ice cream... more cake.... more sex.  If we all claim to love it......

The undeserving are gone in one weekend and we all got to have another week of games, stadium food, halftime shows, smack talk online...etc etc...

And we've seen a few 3rd and 4th place teams make it to Jerry's World......and win.  

• Like 6

I never understood the watered down argument personally.

As Mavchamp said, if a top seed can't beat a 4th seed, then I mean...that just says everything about that team.

Some districts are stronger than others, some are much weaker than others. No way to get around that. And I don't think anyone should be complaining about more football when we only get 16 weeks as it is.

We have close if not more than 1,500 schools in this state. 4 teams isn't hurting anyone anywhere. The state is growing by a crazy amount so much that we're about to add 7A.

Only thing I would change is just to change the name of how things actually are (1A-14A once 7A is added).

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

I never understood the watered down argument personally.

As Mavchamp said, if a top seed can't beat a 4th seed, then I mean...that just says everything about that team.

Some districts are stronger than others, some are much weaker than others. No way to get around that. And I don't think anyone should be complaining about more football when we only get 16 weeks as it is.

We have close if not more than 1,500 schools in this state. 4 teams isn't hurting anyone anywhere. The state is growing by a crazy amount so much that we're about to add 7A.

Only thing I would change is just to change the name of how things actually are (1A-14A once 7A is added).

The split divisions allows for schools to maintain the same classification in sports where the enrollment disparity doesn’t matter as much. It would be strange for a school to be 4A in football and 3A in baseball and basketball. 

3 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

The split divisions allows for schools to maintain the same classification in sports where the enrollment disparity doesn’t matter as much. It would be strange for a school to be 4A in football and 3A in baseball and basketball. 

Why? It's just a number.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

Might as well let all teams in the playoffs ... it's so watered down ....

While I tend to agree in most cases.....you do have the rarity of the occasional 4 seed upsetting a 1 seed that is overlooking them. Might consider it a trap game in that sense lol.

I can think of times in the past when 4 were deserving but only 3 went. Back in 2006 Tatum, EF, Arp, Troup were all in the same district. All tight ball games in district. Tatum, EF, Arp were the last 3 teams standing in the region with Tatum in D1 and EF in D2 eventually each playing for a Title. Troup would have been a top 3 team in any other district. 

Back when they only took 1.....some monsters got left at home. Even when they took 2 some studs missed out. 

44 minutes ago, Eagle8 said:

While I tend to agree in most cases.....you do have the rarity of the occasional 4 seed upsetting a 1 seed that is overlooking them. Might consider it a trap game in that sense lol.

I can think of times in the past when 4 were deserving but only 3 went. Back in 2006 Tatum, EF, Arp, Troup were all in the same district. All tight ball games in district. Tatum, EF, Arp were the last 3 teams standing in the region with Tatum in D1 and EF in D2 eventually each playing for a Title. Troup would have been a top 3 team in any other district. 

Back when they only took 1.....some monsters got left at home. Even when they took 2 some studs missed out. 

We went 4 rounds deep as the 4 seed in 2013.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, GWBears01 said:

It's rare but it does happen. For the most part there's a bunch of 1st round slaughters but sometimes that underdog digs in and peaks at the right time. 

On 2/23/2022 at 7:02 AM, GWBears01 said:

And in 1978, the Bears sat home from the playoffs as an undefeated team, only tying West Rusk 7-7, who then advanced into the playoffs by having more penetrations I believe.

31 minutes ago, DieHardCubFan said:

And in 1978, the Bears sat home from the playoffs as an undefeated team, only tying West Rusk 7-7, who then advanced into the playoffs by having more penetrations I believe.

Or in the mid 70's when the Bears had 1 loss in district and it ended in a 3 way tie. Coin flip determined who advanced to playoffs. I believe it was my senior year in '74.

On 2/25/2022 at 11:23 AM, Golfingnut said:

Or in the mid 70's when the Bears had 1 loss in district and it ended in a 3 way tie. Coin flip determined who advanced to playoffs. I believe it was my senior year in '74.

The year after Carthage's first state title appearance in 91, they ended district in a 3 way tie in 92 with Kilgore and Henderson.  Missed the playoffs as a result of the coin flip.

• 1 month later...
On 2/25/2022 at 9:28 AM, Jerryhawk111 said:

I remember when only 1 team went, and penetrations was how they determined a tie. No overtime

Don't remind Gladewater fans of those tie games where penetrations or first downs determined the winner.  I remember 1984 vividly.  I always told people that '84 Bear team would've won a title had they gotten by Daingerfield that year.  I think that was definitely the closest they came to a title.  I think it was the best team they've ever had in my lifetime, although you could make an argument about the 2014 team.

2 hours ago, blackflag79 said:

Don't remind Gladewater fans of those tie games where penetrations or first downs determined the winner.  I remember 1984 vividly.  I always told people that '84 Bear team would've won a title had they gotten by Daingerfield that year.  I think that was definitely the closest they came to a title.  I think it was the best team they've ever had in my lifetime, although you could make an argument about the 2014 team.

If that defense tackle for Gladewater didn't take plays off, no way they don't win it all in 2014