Gunter gets a prize transfer at QB

Hawkball7

Not to be picky, but did the athlete transfer or move into the district.  It makes a big difference because transfer students are ineligible for varsity for one calendar year from the time they enroll....so I'm guessing the family moved into GISD's district.

5 hours ago, Hawkball7 said:

3A-D2 Gunter fills their hole at QB with Phoenix Grant, a starter at nearby 5A-D1 Sherman. Physically everything you want in a QB and the perfect player to replace Hud Graham. Gunter is Gunter and definitely seem like the favorites in 3A-D2. 

From Jason Della Rosa: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.heralddemocrat.com/amp/6966643001

We should tap the brakes a little bit - Gunter already has 3 very good QB prospects with experience running the pistol offense.  Whoever starts will have to win the job.  Looks like this kid can play at safety too.

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

14 minutes ago, THEHARDWAY said:

LOL. Yep.

they already have a couple of young studies. Think one of them is going to nationals in 7 v 7. 

curious how this dynamic will affect the locker room.

Also, just to make it clear, I’m not knocking them. If you have the means to get your kid a better shot/in better schools, go for it!

Grant completed 154-of-295 passes for 2,031 yards and 15 touchdowns with 10 interceptions.

Not exactly setting the world on fire as a passer ... barely 50% completion rate and almost as many interceptions as TD passes ....

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

Grant completed 154-of-295 passes for 2,031 yards and 15 touchdowns with 10 interceptions.

Not exactly setting the world on fire as a passer ... barely 50% completion rate and almost as many interceptions as TD passes ....

Oh! So now you throw stats into the narrative?!!! That is going to kill some folks buzz!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Oh! So now you throw stats into the narrative?!!! That is going to kill some folks buzz!

Just quoted the article, of course he could possibly put up better numberd in 3A , if Gunter wants to start throwing more .... I'm sure he will be a plus no matter how they use him ...

1 hour ago, KirtFalcon said:

Sounds like he was the best runner Sherman had too.  This will be as beneficial at Gunter as his throwing abilities.

He also ended up being the Bearcats’ leading rushing with 657 yards and nine touchdowns on 155 carries. Grant’s production on the ground almost matched the combined total of Caleb Thompson, Kane Bowen and Collins Muriithi, which was 159 carries for 667 yards and nine TDs.

13 minutes ago, ObiOne said:

Sounds like he was the best runner Sherman had too.  This will be as beneficial at Gunter as his throwing abilities.

He also ended up being the Bearcats’ leading rushing with 657 yards and nine touchdowns on 155 carries. Grant’s production on the ground almost matched the combined total of Caleb Thompson, Kane Bowen and Collins Muriithi, which was 159 carries for 667 yards and nine TDs.

Sounds like Gunter was really needing a Special Teams Coordinator pretty bad ... just kidding .....

• Like 1
  • LOL! 2

13 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

Sounds like Gunter was really needing a Special Teams Coordinator pretty bad ... just kidding .....

For sure.  Very convenient lol.  Your 3 year move in starter that takes you to a couple trips to Jerry World  leaves for Texas Tech and you get the starter from the 5A D1 school down the road.  Reminds me of OU a few years ago.  2 Heisman winning QB's transferred right after each other.  Then they got the national championship winning qb from Alabama the next season.  Sometimes the rich just get richer.

1 hour ago, ObiOne said:

His legs made him for sure.

When we say he had no one around him...he literally didn't. He was the only one on that team that kept them from an 0-10/1-9 type season imo.

I believe their starting back was a freshman when they played us (if I remember correctly).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, blueflu said:

Yes. and i believe Canadian has had their share of move ins.  Which is fine.

🙄. Not many, but a few. Please see second post. Hiring coaches with athletic kids has gone on forever. Most of the time, they are good coaches and athletes themselves. 

as a parent, if it’s on the up and up and you are afforded the opportunity to put your kids in a better academic environment, and it gives them a better chance to succeed, you should do it. 

as for move ins, I believe our last state championship had 2. One was in 1st grade, the other in 3rd or 4th. 

I'm sure the young man from Sherman is a great athlete.  Stats look good.  Framing this as Gunter receiving a "prize athlete" is terribly misleading and a little pathetic.  In my opinion, he won't even win the starting QB job.  Obviously, I could be wrong, and maybe he will - but to present this as some kind of windfall is careless.....at best.  It's sickening - for both the Gunter program, and the kid involved.  It's all in terribly bad taste.  The thing that is trying to be implied (and we all know what it is) just isn't the case.  It's just an easy target.  It's an easy storyline in the interim.  At the very best, commenting on this as if you have any inkling of knowledge about the situation hurts the kid and his family more than anything else.  If that's OK with you, keep commenting. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • LOL! 1

1 minute ago, Pax said:

I'm sure the young man from Sherman is a great athlete.  Stats look good.  Framing this as Gunter receiving a "prize athlete" is terribly misleading and a little pathetic.  In my opinion, he won't even win the starting QB job.  Obviously, I could be wrong, and maybe he will - but to present this as some kind of windfall is careless.....at best.  It's sickening - for both the Gunter program, and the kid involved.  It's all in terribly bad taste.  The thing that is trying to be implied (and we all know what it is) just isn't the case.  It's just an easy target.  It's an easy storyline in the interim.  At the very best, commenting on this as if you have any inkling of knowledge about the situation hurts the kid and his family more than anything else.  If that's OK with you, keep commenting. 

Agree @pax. This is a normal occurrence. Dodd is a good looking QB, and so is the Freshman/Sophmore behind them. 

My original LOL response was to the fact that Graham being a transfer was one of the first things brought up.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, THEHARDWAY said:

Agree @pax. This is a normal occurrence. Dodd is a good looking QB, and so is the Freshman/Sophmore behind them. 

My original LOL response was to the fact that Graham being a transfer was one of the first things brought up.

I'm impressed that you know about Dodd!  I believe he is on a 7v7 team that made some waves this year.  I can't figure out which team he was on, but he was either part of a team that lost in Atlanta....or one that won and is going on to nationals in Miami.  Someone else could probably clarify this.  But the Dodd kid (who Grant would be competing with) is not a transfer.  His mom moved to Gunter in first grade.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Pax said:

I hear what you are saying Pax.  But lets be real.  Gunter wasn't out shopping for an assistant special teams coach......and then he just happened to have a son that is the best athlete in Sherman (per a couple of the Longview guys on this thread).  It is legal per UIL and I hope it is a good fit for the coach and his kid.  But it isn't exactly just some organic situation that happened because GT needed a coach.  Some people work inside the rules better than others.  More power to them.

• Like 2