Gunter gets a prize transfer at QB

Hawkball7

8 minutes ago, ObiOne said:

I hear what you are saying Pax.  But lets be real.  Gunter wasn't out shopping for an assistant special teams coach......and then he just happened to have a son that is the best athlete in Sherman (per a couple of the Longview guys on this thread).  It is legal per UIL and I hope it is a good fit for the coach and his kid.  But it isn't exactly just some organic situation that happened because GT needed a coach.  Some people work inside the rules better than others.  More power to them.

All I can say is :

You've made your opinion clear.

Gunter wasn't shopping for QBs either, but that's not important........

• Like 2

When you hire a coach and his son is coming to your school and has been a starting QB/ best player on his team in the past, then there is not a question of who is going to be the starting quarterback. No way the dad takes the job if all parties involved don't believe he will start at QB. Could you imagine the drama if they hired his dad, kid transferred in and then didn't start. I will admit though, I have no clue of anything inside the gunter program. Just speaking on a general coaching hire move.

1 hour ago, ObiOne said:

I hear what you are saying Pax.  But lets be real.  Gunter wasn't out shopping for an assistant special teams coach......and then he just happened to have a son that is the best athlete in Sherman (per a couple of the Longview guys on this thread).  It is legal per UIL and I hope it is a good fit for the coach and his kid.  But it isn't exactly just some organic situation that happened because GT needed a coach.  Some people work inside the rules better than others.  More power to them.

Special teams is huge to coach F.  We have executed extremely well in ST  since coach came.  We did have a muffed snap from our own 13 against Franklin that really killed us.  But for the most part ST was great.  I can guarantee you that we need someone in that phase otherwise coach would not have hired him.   He is also the WR coach

At the risk of being at all critical of a 17 year old or the Sherman Bearcats, he will have a better team around him at Gunter even 4 divisions down.  And we have been watching this Dodd kid come along for quite a while. I think he is good, maybe as good as Graham. Graham was sub 4.5 so neither QB is quite as fast as Graham but both probably fast enough.

Comments about this kind of situation to me are the best form of flattery for a program. But I hope the player is not going to regret the move.  I've seen film, I would take Graham hands down.  But we won't know until they go at in practice and don't think they are going to let Graham come back and play another year.  I didn't think Graham would get the job as a sophomore but he proved himself.  We run quite a bit of WR screens and the ball has to get there in a hurry.  Not sure if Grant has enough arm for that, Graham certainly did.  Pilot Point picked one off that went for a pic6 and he really started zinging it out there after that.  This is big.

Our quarterbacks usually play very little defense.  I am more excited about this young man as a safety - we had an all state one graduate.

• Like 2
  • LOL! 1

6 minutes ago, hsfootball21 said:

When you hire a coach and his son is coming to your school and has been a starting QB/ best player on his team in the past, then there is not a question of who is going to be the starting quarterback. No way the dad takes the job if all parties involved don't believe he will start at QB. Could you imagine the drama if they hired his dad, kid transferred in and then didn't start. I will admit though, I have no clue of anything inside the gunter program. Just speaking on a general coaching hire move.

"Best player on his team" maybe - he most likely won't be the best player on Gunter's team.

Coach F will play the better QB whoever that turns out to be. Grant says himself he will be a safety at the next level and he looks really good in that role, a role he won't be able to play much if he is QB1.  And maybe he wants a chance at a ring.  If coach promised him the job I would be shocked.

The pistol option + passing game is way different from anything he has run before, I'm sure.  And there is no way Gunter is going to the spread.

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

4 minutes ago, GTAlumnus said:

Special teams is huge to coach F.  We have executed extremely well in ST  since coach came.  We did have a muffed snap from our own 13 against Franklin that really killed us.  But for the most part ST was great.  I can guarantee you that we need someone in that phase otherwise coach would not have hired him.   He is also the WR coach

At the risk of being at all critical of a 17 year old or the Sherman Bearcats, he will have a better team around him at Gunter even 4 divisions down.  And we have been watching this Dodd kid come along for quite a while. I think he is good, maybe as good as Graham. Graham was sub 4.5 so neither QB is quite as fast as Graham but both probably fast enough.

Comments about this kind of situation to me are the best form of flattery for a program. But I hope the player is not going to regret the move.  I've seen film, I would take Graham hands down.  But we won't know until they go at in practice and don't think they are going to let Graham come back and play another year.  I didn't think Graham would get the job as a sophomore but he proved himself.  We run quite a bit of WR screens and the ball has to get there in a hurry.  Not sure if Grant has enough arm for that, Graham certainly did.  Pilot Point picked one off that went for a pic6 and he really started zinging it out there after that.  This is big.

Our quarterbacks usually play very little defense.  I am more excited about this young man as a safety - we had an all state one graduate.

I'm not knocking you guys.  Just a little jelly lol.  Miss moving up by a handful of kids and get a high quality transfer and good coach within a couple of months.  I had a teacher that used to say "The harder I work, the luckier I get".  Y'all definitely work hard.  Respect brother.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

Grant completed 154-of-295 passes for 2,031 yards and 15 touchdowns with 10 interceptions.

Not exactly setting the world on fire as a passer ... barely 50% completion rate and almost as many interceptions as TD passes ....

Thats is what I noticed also.  He does look better on video than those stats would indicate.  Quite a few throws over the middle 6" over the linebacker's head - I imagine that is where alot of those picks came from. Those are tough throws and the ones that make the highlight tape look good.

2 hours ago, Pax said:

I'm sure the young man from Sherman is a great athlete.  Stats look good.  Framing this as Gunter receiving a "prize athlete" is terribly misleading and a little pathetic.  In my opinion, he won't even win the starting QB job.  Obviously, I could be wrong, and maybe he will - but to present this as some kind of windfall is careless.....at best.  It's sickening - for both the Gunter program, and the kid involved.  It's all in terribly bad taste.  The thing that is trying to be implied (and we all know what it is) just isn't the case.  It's just an easy target.  It's an easy storyline in the interim.  At the very best, commenting on this as if you have any inkling of knowledge about the situation hurts the kid and his family more than anything else.  If that's OK with you, keep commenting. 

Only thing I'm implying is what the article already stated. I think the Dodd kid has a great shot at QB1 but let's not act like this wasn't a move to get a great football player on your team, at the most important position. It's a great fit for all parties involved and I see nothing wrong it at all. Others in the community/team might not feel the same as Dodd has waited for this opportunity. Either way GT will have a great QB leading them next year and feelings don't matter once your lifting that trophy at Jerry's World. 

5 hours ago, Hawkball7 said:

Only thing I'm implying is what the article already stated. I think the Dodd kid has a great shot at QB1 but let's not act like this wasn't a move to get a great football player on your team, at the most important position. It's a great fit for all parties involved and I see nothing wrong it at all. Others in the community/team might not feel the same as Dodd has waited for this opportunity. Either way GT will have a great QB leading them next year and feelings don't matter once your lifting that trophy at Jerry's World. 

I'll go ahead and act like it wasn't that.  You do whatever you want.  I think it was about someone moving from one town to another.  I think it was about someone getting a job in a different town.  It really never fails.  If you have a successful program, kids that play football aren't allowed to move to your town because this is what happens. And if you're a quarterback....good Lord, watch out because the baseless accusations will fly out of the mouths of the utterly uninformed.  It is inevitable.  I guess it just goes with the territory. It means other people think you are so good, you must be cheating.

Nothing here is based on anything.  It's only convenient.  The fact that this thread even exists is pathetic.  Gunter is 88-6 over the past 6 seasons.  I'm not gonna pretend they finally found a QB to put them over the top.  It undermines the talent of kids already here eyeing the QB position, and it undermines the talent of the KID whose family moved to Gunter for reasons none of you people know.  None of you.  It is pure bullsh

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pax said:

I'll go ahead and act like it wasn't that.  You do whatever you want.  I think it was about someone moving from one town to another.  I think it was about someone getting a job in a different town.  It really never fails.  If you have a successful program, kids that play football aren't allowed to move to your town because this is what happens. And if you're a quarterback....good Lord, watch out because the baseless accusations will fly out of the mouths of the utterly uninformed.  It is inevitable.  I guess it just goes with the territory. It means other people think you are so good, you must be cheating.

Nothing here is based on anything.  It's only convenient.  The fact that this thread even exists is pathetic.  Gunter is 88-6 over the past 6 seasons.  I'm not gonna pretend they finally found a QB to put them over the top.  It undermines the talent of kids already here eyeing the QB position, and it undermines the talent of the KID whose family moved to Gunter for reasons none of you people know.  None of you.  It is pure bullsh

Yesh it ain't that serious Pax. This ain't "cheating", lol it's a lil bending of the rule that plenty of great programs around the state do. What father/coach wouldn't be okay with  moving down the road to play for a program like Gunter. Kid gets the best opportunity to actually be a winner while giving him the best shot to play D1 ball. I don't blame him! Get beat up at Sherman or join a powerhouse like Gunter?

8 hours ago, Hawkball7 said:

Yesh it ain't that serious Pax. This ain't "cheating", lol it's a lil bending of the rule that plenty of great programs around the state do. What father/coach wouldn't be okay with  moving down the road to play for a program like Gunter. Kid gets the best opportunity to actually be a winner while giving him the best shot to play D1 ball. I don't blame him! Get beat up at Sherman or join a powerhouse like Gunter?

There isn't anything wrong with what you just described.  

14 hours ago, Pax said:

I don't think it is cheating at all! I think it's a great hire. I have no problem with it. You want the kid, hire the parents. Most of the time the parents are damn good coaches, which is why the kids turn out to be damn good players. 

• Love 1

19 hours ago, GTAlumnus said:

The dad isn't a very good coach at all.... There is a reason Gunter hired him. Very below average coach. They hired him for his kid. 

33 minutes ago, TXHSGOD said:

The dad isn't a very good coach at all.... There is a reason Gunter hired him. Very below average coach. They hired him for his kid. 

I'm fairly certain that it is not the case that a prerequisite to a high school student playing on your team is that their father is a coach.  Someone can correct me on this.

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

2 hours ago, TXHSGOD said:

This is what i got from a coach at Sherman. I personally asked him. Good get for Gunter. 🤷🏾‍♂️

• LOL! 1

2 hours ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

This is what i got from a coach at Sherman. I personally asked him. Good get for Gunter. 🤷🏾‍♂️

I don't suppose there could be any sour grapes there.  If the man can't coach he is not going to be hired by Gunter.  Excellent staff all the way.

We don't need a QB, we have 3.  And we don't have a Buddy Garrity either.

Nobody "went after" anybody.

• Love 1

29 minutes ago, GTAlumnus said:

I don't suppose there could be any sour grapes there.  If the man can't coach he is not going to be hired by Gunter.  Excellent staff all the way.

We don't need a QB, we have 3.  And we don't have a Buddy Garrity either.

Nobody "went after" anybody.

Are you ok? Mentally stable? You lucky I can't say wth I really wanna say. I really don't give a #### wth yall got. You made it your business to come after me for something that came from somewhere else so imma make it my business to ride your ### rest of 2022. You're welcome. Smh. 

• LOL! 2

43 minutes ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Are you ok? Mentally stable? You lucky I can't say wth I really wanna say. I really don't give a #### wth yall got. You made it your business to come after me for something that came from somewhere else so imma make it my business to ride your ### rest of 2022. You're welcome. Smh. 

K

1 hour ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Anyway. Good luck to Gunter. Heard nothing but good things about that QB. I know the Sherman bball coach. 

Same here.  The only bad things I've heard about the young man have been from people like you.  Ironically in this very thread with the subtle, and sometimes not so subtle innuendos without any real reason. How about we try to preserve that good reputation you yourself acknowledge by not participating in propagating this nonsense? What'd ya say?

• Like 1