Gunter gets a prize transfer at QB

Hawkball7

On 3/1/2022 at 11:24 AM, THEHARDWAY said:

🙄. Not many, but a few. Please see second post. Hiring coaches with athletic kids has gone on forever. Most of the time, they are good coaches and athletes themselves. 

as a parent, if it’s on the up and up and you are afforded the opportunity to put your kids in a better academic environment, and it gives them a better chance to succeed, you should do it. 

as for move ins, I believe our last state championship had 2. One was in 1st grade, the other in 3rd or 4th. 

Listen, If you are a coach, and you have an athletic kid, we will surely have some openings this summer on our staff.  Our pay for a 10 year vet will start somewhere around $70k.  Move to Mineral Wells.  We want you!  I will help pick up the slack coaching if you don't really want to coach as long as your kid runs close to a 4.4 and can read a hole.

2 hours ago, GTAlumnus said:

I don't suppose there could be any sour grapes there.  If the man can't coach he is not going to be hired by Gunter.  Excellent staff all the way.

We don't need a QB, we have 3.  And we don't have a Buddy Garrity either.

Nobody "went after" anybody.

"Friends of the program" ----Blue Chips

• LOL! 1

I’ve seen a lot if good players make avg coaches look like geniuses…..Can’t coach 4.4 speed and size…. Mostly all God given…. You can coach scheme and effort but if ya have the size and speed to match it then you have a special team….Location is evthing. Smaller school with great programs will attract any athlete. If parents choose a profession that grants them options for their kids then kudos to the parents for thinking ahead and planning for the future that sets up the best future for the family….. Seen Gunter play several times and I love their approach to the game and offensive scheme

• Like 2

On 3/1/2022 at 11:41 AM, Pax said:

I'm sure the young man from Sherman is a great athlete.  Stats look good.  Framing this as Gunter receiving a "prize athlete" is terribly misleading and a little pathetic.  In my opinion, he won't even win the starting QB job.  Obviously, I could be wrong, and maybe he will - but to present this as some kind of windfall is careless.....at best.  It's sickening - for both the Gunter program, and the kid involved.  It's all in terribly bad taste.  The thing that is trying to be implied (and we all know what it is) just isn't the case.  It's just an easy target.  It's an easy storyline in the interim.  At the very best, commenting on this as if you have any inkling of knowledge about the situation hurts the kid and his family more than anything else.  If that's OK with you, keep commenting. 

LOL! That's what these sites do. Let me guess, your Boy was the projected starter before the 5A move in came to town

7 hours ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Are you ok? Mentally stable? You lucky I can't say wth I really wanna say. I really don't give a #### wth yall got. You made it your business to come after me for something that came from somewhere else so imma make it my business to ride your ### rest of 2022. You're welcome. Smh. 

This went over my head.  Not sure how I came after you.  If you want to ride us all year be my guest.  Thankfully this is a free board.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eagle34 said:

LOL! That's what these sites do. Let me guess, your Boy was the projected starter before the 5A move in came to town

Lol right?.....This stud QB was the best player on a competing 5A squad and we get "I dont think he wins the job." Lol.....yall got a regular ole Joe Montainya over there taking the snaps? Rest assured Mr. Pax.....the flashy move in.....he gone start lol. 

• Like 1
  • SMH 1

11 hours ago, GTAlumnus said:

I don't suppose there could be any sour grapes there.  If the man can't coach he is not going to be hired by Gunter.  Excellent staff all the way.

We don't need a QB, we have 3.  And we don't have a Buddy Garrity either.

Nobody "went after" anybody.

You had 3......now you got 1 and 3 back ups lol

• Like 1

10 hours ago, eagle34 said:

Incorrect.  You also won't find the actual parents of any of the other kids complaining if the Sherman kid earns the starting job.  

I've also been defending the 5A kid in these threads.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Eagle8 said:

Lol right?.....This stud QB was the best player on a competing 5A squad and we get "I dont think he wins the job." Lol.....yall got a regular ole Joe Montainya over there taking the snaps? Rest assured Mr. Pax.....the flashy move in.....he gone start lol. 

Maybe.  Maybe not.  He looks good from what I've seen.  I wouldn't characterize Sherman as a competing 5A squad though.  4-6, 2-4 in district, missed the playoffs.  Doesn't mean the QB isn't good.  He is probably responsible for the 4 wins they managed.  This idea that 5A is universally superior to 3A is nonsense.  These are all high school kids.  There is a TON of overlap among the classifications.  Only at the extremes is there a real difference.  Namely at the top. Pigskin for example (at the end of last season), would have #2 ranked Gunter in 3A favored over the #79 ranked Sherman in 5A by 30 points.

Over the past 5 seasons, 3A teams are 14-5 against 5A teams.  These are mostly above average 3A teams vs below average 5A (relatively speaking).  Gunter vs Sherman would be an elite 3A program against a below average 5A team. Gunter would dominate that game.  There were 17 3A teams ranked ahead of Sherman last year, so Sherman would have been ranked #18 in 3AD2 (doesn't even include 3AD1 where Sherman would be ranked #27) Again - nothing at all against the Sherman kid; just pointing out the absurdity of assuming that just because he is coming from a 5A school means he is superior to 3A athletes.  Gunter has some pretty dang good prospects as well. I'm not rooting against him by any means.  I'm just tired of this notion that he has won the job already merely by being from all mighty 5A.  He will have to earn it against what I think is stiff competition, and if he does, he will have an entire town behind him.....and then some.

One thing I wouldn't overlook is his defensive ability.  

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Pax said:

Maybe.  Maybe not.  He looks good from what I've seen.  I wouldn't characterize Sherman as a competing 5A squad though.  4-6, 2-4 in district, missed the playoffs.  Doesn't mean the QB isn't good.  He is probably responsible for the 4 wins they managed.  This idea that 5A is universally superior to 3A is nonsense.  These are all high school kids.  There is a TON of overlap among the classifications.  Only at the extremes is there are real difference.  Namely at the top. Pigskin for example (at the end of last season), would have #2 ranked Gunter in 3A favored over the #79 ranked Sherman in 5A by 30 points.

Over the past 5 seasons, 3A teams are 14-5 against 5A teams.  These are mostly above average 3A teams vs below average 5A (relatively speaking).  Gunter vs Sherman would be an elite 3A program against a below average 5A team. Gunter would dominate that game.  There were 17 3A teams ranked ahead of Sherman last year, so Sherman would have been ranked #18 in 3AD2 (doesn't even include 3AD1 where Sherman would be ranked #27) Again - nothing at all against the Sherman kid; just pointing out the absurdity of assuming that just because he is coming from a 5A school means he is superior to 3A athletes.  Gunter has some pretty dang good prospects as well. I'm not rooting against him by any means.  I'm just tired of this notion that he has won the job already merely by being from all mighty 5A.  He will have to earn it against what I think is stiff competition, and if he does, he will have an entire town behind him.....and then some.

One thing I wouldn't overlook is his defensive ability.  

Hopefully 15-5 after this year. Only local team we could pick up is 5A Amarillo Randall 😆

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, THEHARDWAY said:

Hopefully 15-5 after this year. Only local team we could pick up is 5A Amarillo Randall 😆

I feel like you guys got this.  I can't imagine how hard it is for you guys to find games....and the traveling you have to do.  Didn't you play a team from Kansas recently?  

My guess is Gunter is moving up to D1 next realignment.  Another couple of Gunter v Canadian Semis would be nice if we can make it there.  Good luck to you guys.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pax said:

I feel like you guys got this.  I can't imagine how hard it is for you guys to find games....and the traveling you have to do.  Didn't you play a team from Kansas recently?  

My guess is Gunter is moving up to D1 next realignment.  Another couple of Gunter v Canadian Semis would be nice if we can make it there.  Good luck to you guys.

We played Mead Kansas for 2 years a few years back. They beat us once, we beat them once. They were #1 is state that year. 2 years ago we played another one to keep from having 4 weeks off due to Covid.

Our closest game is Perryton at 45 min. Downside of living in Gods Country

childess is 1:45

tulia 2:15

friona 2:30

Randall 1:45

Bushland 1:45

Seminole, OK is 3:30

elk City, OK is 1:30

perryton, is 45min

Dimmit is 2:30

• Wow 1

3 minutes ago, THEHARDWAY said:

We played Mead Kansas for 2 years a few years back. They beat us once, we beat them once. They were #1 is state that year. 2 years ago we played another one to keep from having 4 weeks off due to Covid.

Our closest game is Perryton at 45 min. Downside of living in Gods Country

childess is 1:45

tulia 2:15

friona 2:30

Randall 1:45

Bushland 1:45

Seminole, OK is 3:30

elk City, OK is 1:30

perryton, is 45min

Dimmit is 2:30

Good Lord.  I won't complain anymore!

Thats a lie, I'll still complain.  We are playing Bishop from far south Texas week 1 this year.  Not sure how/why we got the game.  We are playing at a neutral location near Austin.  That's like an average drive for you guys.  

50 minutes ago, Pax said:

Thats a lie, I'll still complain.  We are playing Bishop from far south Texas week 1 this year.  Not sure how/why we got the game.  We are playing at a neutral location near Austin.  That's like an average drive for you guys.  

At least it’s neutral field! Enjoy some BBQ!

5 hours ago, Pax said:

You know exactly how/why that game was gotten. And I will give a little inside baseball, for that opening game specifically, Gunter had two teams agree to play, then back out before it ended up having to hook up with Bishop.