Gunter gets a prize transfer at QB

Hawkball7

57 minutes ago, MoCo said:

So his only options now are to go back to Sherman, go to a private school, or go out of state? Obviously aside from not playing his senior year.

Maybe he could move in with his grandmother in another small town with Gunter connections if he's looking to dominate at the lower levels 😉

• LOL! 1

21 minutes ago, Ballboy23 said:

UIL approved his brother but not him...wow!

If I'm Grant, I'm not going back to Sherman. 

UIL approved step brother.  It may have something to do with custody issues.

15 minutes ago, supermaroon said:

Very interested to see what evidence they have to say no. No chance he goes back to Sherman after this either could he?  Seems like Gunter needs to get in touch with a certain school in the Sherman area that are going to build a compound of trailers for families with athletes to move inside the school district so they can avoid this. 

I thought it was ironic that the Sherman coach (former OC) who is freely leaving to go to Leonard spoke at the meeting.  I also don't understand why one kid in the same household would be OK and the other not. 

6 minutes ago, GTAlumnus said:

I thought it was ironic that the Sherman coach (former OC) who is freely leaving to go to Leonard spoke at the meeting.  I also don't understand why one kid in the same household would be OK and the other not. 

You sure they are in the same household?  Mom and coach-dad are divorced.  Step brother allowed into Gunter.  Coach's son denied.  

15 minutes ago, GTAlumnus said:

It's crazy to me as well if one is approved then both should be if they are living together. I don't know if he lives with dad or mom that could be the only reason I see if he doesn't live in the same house. 

16 minutes ago, supermaroon said:

And if you're the new Leonard coach do you really want to upset Gunter? Didn't ever work for fletcher no matter how many $1 cheeseburgers he brought to the meetings. 

Good point. Gunter may score 100 on them.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GraysonFan said:

He’s been living with his mother and not his dad.   Grant’s mother wasn’t involved in any of this, just dad and stepmother.

At risk of getting into  private people's lives one more thing.   If they are divorced and the step brothers don't live in the same household I wonder why both of them decided to transfer to Gunter coincidentally at the same time.  If one of them transferred to be in a better football program then both of them did.

I think Sherman comes out looking pretty petty in this whole deal.   But that's just me.

19 minutes ago, GraysonFan said:

He’s been living with his mother and not his dad.   Grant’s mother wasn’t involved in any of this, just dad and stepmother.

IF this is true, his dad still works at Gunter. 

I've known kids that lived in X but could still go to school at Y because of their parents' job status. Wonder why it didn't work this time...does the dad not have ANY custody?

1 minute ago, GTAlumnus said:

I think Sherman comes out looking pretty petty in this whole deal.   But that's just me.

Cory Cain should be ashamed of himself for sure.

I cannot for the life of me find a motive in why Sherman would try to sabotage Grant's career, outside of pure pettiness.

Gunter was no threat to Sherman....kids dad had a job there. Cain and co sure did have fun accepting transfers left and right while at Allen though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Cory Cain should be ashamed of himself for sure.

I cannot for the life of me find a motive in why Sherman would try to sabotage Grant's career, outside of pure pettiness.

Gunter was no threat to Sherman....kids dad had a job there. Cain and co sure did have fun accepting transfers left and right while at Allen though.

Agreed. Not a good look Sherman.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ANTI said:

I'm imagining a scenario where new coach is hired and assistant dad coach is kept on the staff.   Plans are made and assurances given.  Next thing you know dad coach is leaving you high and dry with no good options at qb.

32 minutes ago, 2Punks said:

Agreed. Not a good look Sherman.

Don't blame Sherman. Scouting department dropped the ball on this one.  Everyone knows that you have to clear it with legal guardian first.

1 hour ago, ObiOne said:

I'm imagining a scenario where new coach is hired and assistant dad coach is kept on the staff.   Plans are made and assurances given.  Next thing you know dad coach is leaving you high and dry with no good options at qb.

Best explanation I've seen so far.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ObiOne said:

Don't blame Sherman. Scouting department dropped the ball on this one.  Everyone knows that you have to clear it with legal guardian first.

Sounds like you know this family personally. If not, you’ve spent an inordinate amount of time poking around in their divorce decrees and  living arrangements. The fact that you even use the term scouting department demonstrates that you are as jealous as Sherman is. And the fact that some fictional ball was dropped would indicate to any reasonable observer that there was no recruiting going on at all, otherwise GT would have five outstanding QBs to choose from. As it stands GT still has four outstanding QBs and a new special teams coach. The only one hurt is Phoenix, and I hate even using the word “hurt”. From everything I’ve heard from Sherman people and from Gunter people is that he’s a great kid aside from sports. He’ll figure it out with his family and he’ll do just fine I’m sure. Sherman’s just petty. I’m wondering if this head fb coach will break four seasons. I’m betting he won’t unless he wins the Axe back and soon. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ANTI said:

IF this is true, his dad still works at Gunter. 

I've known kids that lived in X but could still go to school at Y because of their parents' job status. Wonder why it didn't work this time...does the dad not have ANY custody?

No idea, I don’t know if the family moved to Gunter ISD and maybe the son didn’t or what the status is.  All of what I hear could totally be just rumor/gossip, but hearing others talking about some communication got provided that didn’t go over too well that was from coach-dad and Gunter coach.  Who knows, but for UIL to deny it there has to be some sort of basis for it.

1 hour ago, 2Punks said:

Sounds like you know this family personally. If not, you’ve spent an inordinate amount of time poking around in their divorce decrees and  living arrangements. The fact that you even use the term scouting department demonstrates that you are as jealous as Sherman is. And the fact that some fictional ball was dropped would indicate to any reasonable observer that there was no recruiting going on at all, otherwise GT would have five outstanding QBs to choose from. As it stands GT still has four outstanding QBs and a new special teams coach. The only one hurt is Phoenix, and I hate even using the word “hurt”. From everything I’ve heard from Sherman people and from Gunter people is that he’s a great kid aside from sports. He’ll figure it out with his family and he’ll do just fine I’m sure. Sherman’s just petty. I’m wondering if this head fb coach will break four seasons. I’m betting he won’t unless he wins the Axe back and soon. 

Sorry, probably not the best choice of words.   I do not know the family.  Just things I've heard on this thread and other places. I do feel bad for the kid.  I hear he is a really good kid.  I wish him the best.  I know Gunter will not miss a beat.  

7 hours ago, ObiOne said:

Sorry, probably not the best choice of words.   I do not know the family.  Just things I've heard on this thread and other places. I do feel bad for the kid.  I hear he is a really good kid.  I wish him the best.  I know Gunter will not miss a beat.  

I understand. I probably reacted a little harshly. Just feel bad that this family’s private business is under the microscope. Blending families is difficult even without public scrutiny. 

• Like 1

not fair to kid or dad..... was dad supposed to turn down a coordinator title???????? the nature of the coaching buisness should be taken into account by uil........... Shame on Sherman shame on UIL.....

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Rowebot said:

not fair to kid or dad..... was dad supposed to turn down a coordinator title???????? the nature of the coaching buisness should be taken into account by uil........... Shame on Sherman shame on UIL.....

Coordinator?  You mean special teams coach at a much smaller school.