Gunter gets a prize transfer at QB

Hawkball7

Sherman checked the box on the PAPF that says leaving for Athletic Purposes.

If this box is checked by the previous school, then the DEC has to deny.

Then the UIL gets involved if there is an appeal.

Based on the testimony from all the parties involved, the UIL denied the appeal.

Really, this is all on Sherman and their HFC and AD. They are punishing the kid for the dad leaving and taking him with him.

Now, there are obviously custody issues as well if Grant was denied, but his step-brother was approved. Grant's mom could very well have full legal custody and the father/coach not have any. This would be an issue as well. The father/step-dad/coach is remarried and the woman he is married to has custody of the freshman so there is no custody issues there and as he didn't play varsity sports last year he is not leaving for athletic purposes. 

45 minutes ago, playactionpass39 said:

Based on the testimony from all the parties involved, the UIL denied the appeal.

Really, this is all on Sherman and their HFC and AD. They are punishing the kid for the dad leaving and taking him with him.

Now, there are obviously custody issues as well if Grant was denied, but his step-brother was approved. Grant's mom could very well have full legal custody and the father/coach not have any. This would be an issue as well. The father/step-dad/coach is remarried and the woman he is married to has custody of the freshman so there is no custody issues there and as he didn't play varsity sports last year he is not leaving for athletic purposes. 

If they do check the box for "leaving for athletic purposes", isn't there a burden of proof that SISD would need to prove? Seems like you would need to substantiate that claim with hard evidence.

4 hours ago, Bulldogbacker78 said:

Sounds like the rest of the district agreed. Reckon Gunter has a buyer remorse clause in the new coach’s contract?

I'm shocked that the rest of the district agreed with the UIL.  I'm sure there are lots of emails and texts beween coaches and ADs in our district and the Sherman AD and coaches.   Sherman stating that the move was for sports reasons is really objective evidence.

2 hours ago, playactionpass39 said:

So let me get this straight.  A team has  a player that moves to another school, much smaller so they will never meet head to head.  They are butt hurt for losing the kid so they decide if he doesn't want to go to school at Sherman and leaves, they can just check a box that they read the kid's mind (and his dad) and know for a fact that he left for athletic reasons.  Says a lot for what Sherman thinks about their own football teams that they would say basically he left to be on a better team.   That all they have to do to ruin the  kid's life is check a box and the DEC HAS to decline eligibility?  I find that hard to believe.  So why did the chairman of the DEC even need to show up at the meeting unless it was to offer reasons to deny the appeal?  Chairman is the Blue Ridge superintendent. BR  head coach is former Gunter OC who reportedly promised that they would beat Gunter in 2 years when he met with the players, and that is not exactly the words he used.

There was a similar transfer from Denison to Pottsboro a few years ago.  Denison, with the class they have, they didn't fight it as far as I know.  I know the kid started at QB for Pottsboro.  Somebody can shed some light on this.  Why did that kid get to play  and Grant doesn't?  The rules are that the DEC and the UIL and pick and choose who gets to play and who doesn't - there IS no rule when it comes down to it.  Probably who you know.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GTAlumnus said:

Special teams coordinator.  ST is 1/3 of the game at Gunter.

It is so important that they hired Sherman's receiver coach.  Who was st coordinator last year in Gunter?  

6 minutes ago, GTAlumnus said:

So let me get this straight.  A team has  a player that moves to another school, much smaller so they will never meet head to head.  They are butt hurt for losing the kid so they decide if he doesn't want to go to school at Sherman and leaves, they can just check a box that they read the kid's mind (and his dad) and know for a fact that he left for athletic reasons.  Says a lot for what Sherman thinks about their own football teams that they would say basically he left to be on a better team.   That all they have to do to ruin the  kid's life is check a box and the DEC HAS to decline eligibility?  I find that hard to believe.  So why did the chairman of the DEC even need to show up at the meeting unless it was to offer reasons to deny the appeal?  Chairman is the Blue Ridge superintendent. BR  head coach is former Gunter OC who reportedly promised that they would beat Gunter in 2 years when he met with the players, and that is not exactly the words he used.

There was a similar transfer from Denison to Pottsboro a few years ago.  Denison, with the class they have, they didn't fight it as far as I know.  I know the kid started at QB for Pottsboro.  Somebody can shed some light on this.  Why did that kid get to play  and Grant doesn't?  The rules are that the DEC and the UIL and pick and choose who gets to play and who doesn't - there IS no rule when it comes down to it.  Probably who you know.

Yes, Sherman was petty with the decision to check the box.

Yes, the DEC Chairman will propose to deny on those grounds every time.

No, all members of the DEC do not have to vote to deny, but they usually do.

At this point the player/parents/new school appeal to the UIL. There is a  hearing where the UIL hears all sides of the story. Then the UIL makes a ruling. In this case they ruled against Gunter/the player/the new coach.

If you are really in this business for the kids, then you NEVER check that box, IMHO.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BigWhoop said:

If they do check the box for "leaving for athletic purposes", isn't there a burden of proof that SISD would need to prove? Seems like you would need to substantiate that claim with hard evidence.

Evidently Sherman did that yesterday as the UIL upheld the ruling of "moving for athletic purposes."

Really asking… how many other Sherman kids move away and are signed off on? At the very least this is a message to the current and future Sherman players that leaving will not be easy. This one is obviously getting some more attention.

3 hours ago, playactionpass39 said:

As bad as it is for the kid, your last paragraph is what I have wondered the whole time. I would think It had to have come down to a “legal” custody issue. 

I like to think of GT as our biggest rival, and I wish the kid could have played. Is he an impact player, appears so. Would him playing this year potentially have been the “missing piece” for Gunter, I guess but who knows. Plenty of talent on the team as a whole. Does him not playing give anyone who voted no a chance to beat Gunter, that is laughable. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ObiOne said:

It is so important that they hired Sherman's receiver coach.  Who was st coordinator last year in Gunter?  

I don't know but the new coach is also the receivers coach at Gunter.  Not sure what is sinister about Gunter having one of their coaches be the special teams coordinator in addition to their position coach job.  Seems to work.

• Like 2

I say it all the time these coaches don’t care about the kids point blank period. I would never stop a kid if he doesn’t wanna play at my school or whatever the case. Im tired of hearing that coaches have so much integrity when stuff like this happens.

• Like 6

If there were grounds for the student/athlete to be eligible why didn’t the UIL allow the transfer? In my times as a coach I have seen it go both ways. Usually the UIL and their legal team gets it right. Not saying this was right or wrong, I don’t know all the mitigating circumstances.

18 hours ago, ObiOne said:

so you wouldnt take the job and the title and have a chance at winning a state champioship at a storied program or are you just trying to be a jerk about a kid and his dad?????? sounds petty to me big fella.......... 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Rowebot said:

so you wouldnt take the job and the title and have a chance at winning a state champioship at a storied program or are you just trying to be a jerk about a kid and his dad?????? sounds petty to me big fella.......... 

Forgive me.  I just don't have a lot of sympathy for the best team in 3AD2 over the last 6ish years not being able to add the best kid, from the biggest school in their county, for his senior year.  It would be one thing if they hired some top notch coach who just happened to have a talented kid.  Nobody was beating down the door to  hire the Sherman receiver coach.  I don't blame them for trying.  Can only stay within single digits of the 3Ad2 cutoff for so long.  I do feel bad for the kid.  Seems some of the adults should have done a little more research before the deals were made.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, ObiOne said:

Forgive me.  I just don't have a lot of sympathy for the best team in 3AD2 over the last 6ish years not being able to add the best kid, from the biggest school in their county, for his senior year.  It would be one thing if they hired some top notch coach who just happened to have a talented kid.  Nobody was beating down the door to  hire the Sherman receiver coach.  I don't blame them for trying.  Can only stay within single digits of the 3Ad2 cutoff for so long.  I do feel bad for the kid.  Seems some of the adults should have done a little more research before the deals were made.  

Sounds like the greed of Gunter and Sherman have led to difficulties for the student/athlete. Sounds like the old days of Gordon Wood and GA Moore. I wish nothing but the best for the young man. I am sure he will play somewhere. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Rowebot said:

I wouldn't and here is why.  If my son had a real chance to play next level the best place for him would be a higher division.  College coaches prefer recruits compete against other next level athletes.  I don't want to take anything away from the hard work the kids put in(and it's obvious in Gunter), but the talent in 3A and 5A isn't close.  No doubt Gunter transfers  have a better chance to win a championship in 3A, but "storied" or not that's not as big a deal when you engineer it.    More than once,  I've heard Gunter fans comment (almost complain) about how the competition is weak until they meet up with certain teams.  Well no kidding, you're in 3A!!!!   Are there exceptional athletes yes, but not nearly as many.  For example(only because it's measurable), the top two 100m runners in 3A(exceptional) are the only ones that would make the top 30 in 5A this year.  The majority of 3A towns have kids with great great grandparents from the town(and wouldn't change a thing) not move in's from bigger surrounding towns.  Just my opinion, but beating up on those type of teams does not make you "storied" and it certainly doesn't develop next level athletes.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SBDAD said:

I wouldn't and here is why.  If my son had a real chance to play next level the best place for him would be a higher division.  College coaches prefer recruits compete against other next level athletes.  I don't want to take anything away from the hard work the kids put in(and it's obvious in Gunter), but the talent in 3A and 5A isn't close.  No doubt Gunter transfers  have a better chance to win a championship in 3A, but "storied" or not that's not as big a deal when you engineer it.    More than once,  I've heard Gunter fans comment (almost complain) about how the competition is weak until they meet up with certain teams.  Well no kidding, you're in 3A!!!!   Are there exceptional athletes yes, but not nearly as many.  For example(only because it's measurable), the top two 100m runners in 3A(exceptional) are the only ones that would make the top 30 in 5A this year.  The majority of 3A towns have kids with great great grandparents from the town(and wouldn't change a thing) not move in's from bigger surrounding towns.  Just my opinion, but beating up on those type of teams does not make you "storied" and it certainly doesn't develop next level athletes.

You are a straight running idiot. Gunter's QB is going to Tech. How is that not a next level athlete?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

1 hour ago, Bulldogbacker78 said:

Sounds like the greed of Gunter and Sherman have led to difficulties for the student/athlete. Sounds like the old days of Gordon Wood and GA Moore. I wish nothing but the best for the young man. I am sure he will play somewhere. 

Well said!  I hate it when they act like their decisions are pro kid when everyone knows it's greed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StaphClown said:

You are a straight running idiot. Gunter's QB is going to Tech. How is that not a next level athlete?

And the top 100m kid is going to Texas.  Did I say there isn't any next level athletes in 3A?  As a matter of fact I've seen 6 man players go D1.   I would think the straight running idiot would be the one that can't read.

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

11 minutes ago, StaphClown said:

Plenty of examples of great D1 kids that play smaller divisions, especially when they are vested in their hometown and don't move out for athletic reasons.  To me a kid putting in the work(or gifted enough) to play at the next is a special thing at all levels.   I'm just not impressed with players moving to lower divisions to beat up on lesser competition and that what was implied.  I quote "so you wouldn't take the job and the title and have a chance at winning a state champioship at a storied program".    Sorry, but to me it's like putting your better players on JV to go undefeated.  Did anyone really get better, or is it just bragging rights for the JV?  Before you throw me under the bus for being a straight running idiot, maybe you should know I'm more about competing than wins and it seems to work(for me).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ObiOne said:

I didn't figure on Bells crying about it one way or another.   Or any other member of our district frankly.  Other than  0-14 Leonard.  Thought we all got along pretty well.  Good luck, it should be competitive this fall.

You just accused Gunter of cheating on the alignment.  Back when we went to the old 2A from 1A by 0.5 students.  We were the smallest team in our class for several years. 

I guess if you can't beat us you can accuse us of cheating.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, GTAlumnus said:

I didn't figure on Bells crying about it one way or another.   Or any other member of our district frankly.  Other than  0-14 Leonard.  Thought we all got along pretty well.  Good luck, it should be competitive this fall.

You just accused Gunter of cheating on the alignment.  Back when we went to the old 2A from 1A by 0.5 students.  We were the smallest team in our class for several years. 

I guess if you can't beat us you can accuse us of cheating.

You should re-read my post.

I didn't accuse anyone of cheating.  But I guess you would know better than most.