UIL Girls State Basketball Tournament on NFHS

regaleagle

Okay......so BallySports is not televising all the tournament games this season at the Alamodome.  They will televise the 4A and 6A Finals on Saturday afternoon and evening.  So I went ahead and spent my $10.99 to see this weeks action and the Boys State Tournament next week......it's cheap for good action.  Winnsboro is playing Bishop right now in a 3A Semifinal. 

Well.....NFHS managed to do it again......for the umpteeth zillionth time.  They lost the sound with about a 1:25 left, then stuck a 30 second ad right in the middle of live action....all right at the most critical part of the game.  Then they did not return the sound until at least 45 secs. or one minute after the finish.  Just unbelievable how shoddy they run their Network.  Any school with a half-TobinFrost broadcast network does it better.  BTW......Winnsboro won 62-52.....but during this ordeal they had cut it down to 6.  Congrats to Winnsboro on the big win......and a Big Fart goes out to NFHS......for the umpteenth zillionth and one time.

• Thanks 1

In the earlier 3A Semifinal it was Fairfield vs Idalou.  Fairfield's full court pressure defense the whole game basically stifled Idalou and took them out of their offense.  Idalou had a pretty good defense as well, but Fairfield was able to  get the ball inside, get more rebounds, and sink more 3's.  Fairfield dominated the pace and time of possession.  They forced a ton of turnovers also.

Fairfield  54

Idalou    35

Final

It will be Fairfield(39-1) vs Winnsboro(34-5) in the Finals Saturday morning at 10 am for the State Title in 3A.  Winnsboro looks like they may be able to give heavily-favored Fairfield a game.  But it all comes down to matchups and defense in these games. And sometimes you can get a hot shooter that just goes off, and then if that happens it usually leaves somebody else open under the rim or close in to the basket.  I noticed that Winnsboro does have a couple of 3 point swishers on their team.

24 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

It will be Fairfield(39-1) vs Winnsboro(34-5) in the Finals Saturday morning at 10 am for the State Title in 3A.  Winnsboro looks like they may be able to give heavily-favored Fairfield a game.  But it all comes down to matchups and defense in these games. And sometimes you can get a hot shooter that just goes off, and then if that happens it usually leaves somebody else open under the rim or close in to the basket.  I noticed that Winnsboro does have a couple of 3 point swishers on their team.

TBH, after watching both teams I didn’t see many matchups that favors Winnsboro on Saturday.Fairfield D limited Idalou’s outside shooting and to me that was the key to the game for Idalou to have a chance to win. 

I watched 3 games this afternoon on NFHS......and all 3 had problems with the broadcast.  I don't have a very good feeling about the rest of the games on NFHS this weekend and even next weekend.  Now they are up to their umpteenth zillion and three messed up broadcast.  What will it take for those guys to get it right, Huh?  I guess they are under the gun financially and just don't have the equipment for all the broadcasts they do.  Under-funded or without good techs.....one or the other or both.  I'm not a tech kind of guy......so I really have no idea what is involved.  But I don't think it would be rocket science to pull off a "clean" broadcast consistently.

2 hours ago, regaleagle said:

I watched 3 games this afternoon on NFHS......and all 3 had problems with the broadcast.  I don't have a very good feeling about the rest of the games on NFHS this weekend and even next weekend.  Now they are up to their umpteenth zillion and three messed up broadcast.  What will it take for those guys to get it right, Huh?  I guess they are under the gun financially and just don't have the equipment for all the broadcasts they do.  Under-funded or without good techs.....one or the other or both.  I'm not a tech kind of guy......so I really have no idea what is involved.  But I don't think it would be rocket science to pull off a "clean" broadcast consistently.

I had zero problems with the one and a half games I watched

11 hours ago, player73 said:

TBH, after watching both teams I didn’t see many matchups that favors Winnsboro on Saturday.Fairfield D limited Idalou’s outside shooting and to me that was the key to the game for Idalou to have a chance to win. 

The difference will be Winnsboro is not afraid to drive to the basket from the outside.  Layups, short jumpers, or shooting fouls will be key early to collapse Fairfield’s half court D.  They have 5-6 that will if given the chance.

Wow......Stamford was leading by 30 pts at one point in the game, but Martins Mill slowly chipped it back down to 20 at the end of the 3rd.  The 4th was a heckuva game as Martin's Mill got it to within 4 pts right there with less than a minute left.  Stamford hit a few crucial shots and free throws to maintain just enough to get out with the W.  It turned out to go from a one-sided game to a very exciting finish.  You really have to tip your hat to Martin's Mill for never giving up and putting up alot of points in the 4th.  They finally hit a string of 3's and forced some turnovers into immediate points.  One of the premier basketball programs in the State, MM did not disappoint.  But Stamford showed why they have only lost 2 games all season.....they were very impressive. 

Stamford  68           Martin's Mill   64

Final

Stamford will face Gruver Saturday at 1:30 for the Class 2A title.  Gruver defeated San Saba 69-29 in the early game this morning.  Gruver was in the groove for sure.

The next game tipping off at 1:30 will be one of the more highly anticipated matchups of this season's Girls State Tournament action.  It will be Class 4A #1 Argyle(37-0) vs #2 Sour Lake Hardin-Jefferson(33-4) in the first 4A Semifinal.  Both teams have stars......McDonald All-American and Duke recruit Ashlon Jackson for H-J, and MacDonald All-American nominee Caroline Lyles of Argyle.  Lyles has not committed yet, but the offers are coming in......Houston, SMU, Tulsa, and Dayton to name a few.....but she is betting on herself other big names will come her way.  It will be an interesting game and should be a good one......definitely worth the watch.  

The second 4A Semifinal will follow at a 3 pm tipoff with #3 Brownboro(38-2) taking on Fredericksburg(36-3)......another highly anticipated matchup. Fredericksburg lost to Argyle in a Final Four appearance in 2020 in this Semifinal Game.

To read more about Caroline Lyles and her move from Fayetteville Arkansas High to Argyle, and all the reasons why.....today's Denton Record Chronicle has the article online.  Just google Denton Record Chronicle, click sports, and then High School sports.  You should find the article.  In fact, it would behoove you to read BOTH of the articles on this season's Lady Eagles team.

Hardin-Jefferson has been able to keep Argyle from penetrating inside, and has gotten more rebounds.  Argyle has not been able to keep H-J from taking more than one shot on their end......so in that regard Argyle is losing that battle.  But Argyle has made a very high percentage of its shots from 3-point land as they usually do, but have missed many shots under the rim that they usually convert.  Then they are not getting those missed-shot rebounds. Jackson for H-J went off in the first half and kept them close.

The refs have lost control in this game.....calling everything on Argyle and letting H-J literally maim Argyle to death.  It's just too obvious.  Go watch the replay of this game.  It so one-sided on the calls and so obvious that the fix is in.  They have literally taken Caroline Lyles and put her on the bench for the whole 2nd half.  Did the same thing to her in the first half, yet allow H-J to beat up and maim the Argyle girls without calling any fouls. It is disgraceful.

Hardin Jefferson  is gonna win it......you cannot beat the refs for the entire game.  They got what they wanted.....to erase Argyle's lead and call anything they could while allowing H-J to maul Argyle's players without a whistle at all.  It was ridiculous.  

Hardin Jefferson   49       Argyle  42

Final

Ashlon Jackson had 26 pts.    All to make sure the Duke recruit could take her team to the final.   She was the reason they won, but it was one-sided by the refs......just too obvious.  Argyle loses Caroline Lyles, but the rest of the starters and all but one on the bench will return.  I'm really pissed off at what I just saw, and I am normally not this way.  Politics......my Dad used to say...."It's a political thing".

5 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Hardin Jefferson  is gonna win it......you cannot beat the refs for the entire game.  They got what they wanted.....to erase Argyle's lead and call anything they could while allowing H-J to maul Argyle's players without a whistle at all.  It was ridiculous.  

Final

Ashlon Jackson had 26 pts.    All to make sure the Duke recruit could take her team to the final.   She was the reason they won, but it was one-sided by the refs......just too obvious.  Argyle loses Caroline Lyles, but the rest of the starters and all but one on the bench will return.  I'm really pissed off at what I just saw, and I am normally not this way.  Politics......my Dad used to say...."It's a political thing".

Do the refs get a ring since they won? Lol

• LOL! 1

7 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Final

Unless Argyle shot 100% from the field & FT line and had zero turnovers I’m sure there were some other things that lead to the loss.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, regaleagle said:

Final

I understand your an Argyle supporter, but your being disrespectful to the Hardin Jefferson girls. Maybe, just maybe they were were the better team. Congratulations to them. Also congratulations to Argyle on another great season. They will still be nails in 5A. 

By the way, I think this should have been the championship game

Edited by slyone
Add comment

1 hour ago, slyone said:

I understand your an Argyle supporter, but your being disrespectful to the Hardin Jefferson girls. Maybe, just maybe they were were the better team. Congratulations to them. Also congratulations to Argyle on another great season. They will still be nails in 5A. 

By the way, I think this should have been the championship game

I went back and watched the Argyle / Hardin Jefferson game last night.  Argyle missed 5-7 layups in the 2nd half and had multiple untimely turnovers.  They had their chances to win and didn’t execute.  HJ one the other hand started off a little slow in the first half but dialed up the pressure and executed in the second half when it counted.  Were there some tic tac calls made - yes.  Is that the difference in the game - no.

• Like 1

Fairfield up on Winnsboro 34-28 at half.  Anyone who thought Winnsboro couldn’t run with Fairfield should be commenting shortly about how they were wrong.  Fairfield was starting to get winded at the end of 1st half while Winnsboro was still grinding.  Winnsboro decided to be who they are and apply full court pressure.  Have only created a couple of turnovers but every rep eats into those Fairfield legs.  Winnsboro has played 10-11 players so far.  Fairfield maybe 7.  Winnsboro Acker has no match inside and could be the difference in the second half.  However, Fairfield is who we all thought they were.  They have created multiple turnovers and have been deadly with the 10 ft jumper from the free throw line.  Clean game so far in both sides.  Very few fouls called.  Great 1st half of the Championship game!

1 hour ago, PantherNation2015 said:

I went back and watched the Argyle / Hardin Jefferson game last night.  Argyle missed 5-7 layups in the 2nd half and had multiple untimely turnovers.  They had their chances to win and didn’t execute.  HJ one the other hand started off a little slow in the first half but dialed up the pressure and executed in the second half when it counted.  Were there some tic tac calls made - yes.  Is that the difference in the game - no.

Nope......they were mauled on those shots and no fouls were called, but at the least touch by the Argyle defense a foul was called.  And then every time one of Fairfield's girls bullied her way inside and charged, they called a foul on the Argyle girl when she had position waaay before the ball got there.  And everytime Lyles went inside they called a charging foul on her.  They callled 3 charging fouls on Lyles and she sat on the bench almost half the game.  That is how Fairfield won.....they took out Argyle's main and best player.  That is what I am talking about .  Congrats to H-J on the win.....they are a very good basketball team, and they needed the help to win this one.....end of story. And the worst part......they got it from the tipoff to the finish.

For those charges called on Lyles.....Ashlon Jackson had three worse than that and those were all called against Argyle......just not fairly called game. I could expound further, but I'm going to keep my mouth shut.  I've said my peace.....now let the games continue.