Cowboys Player Cuts

Cowboys are expected to release Amari Cooper, before the new year starts on March 16. They will first try and trade him, but will release him if they cannot find a trade. The move will save the team $16M against the cap. 

I fear DLaw is next. 

As much as I don't want to lose Cooper, and believe this will be a big blow to the offense, this is also yet another example of an argument I've made for years....You cannot tie up most of your money in a handful of players and expect to build a solid team. The Cowboys currently have 65% of their cap tied into 7 players. 

• Like 3

I hate losing Cooper. I hate paying $20m to a WR. I really really really hate paying a RB big money in today’s game. This whole situation makes you realize that Stephen Jones has no clue what he’s doing as GM. Stephen’s running the team. Jerry might sign checks but this is all on Jerry. Stephen is saying stuff like this. 

Zeke’s heading into his age 27 season with close to 2,000 touches. A torn PCL. Stephen’s letting leaks out that Amari was injury prone, didn’t step up to be a WR1. It’s a frustrating situation. Now you have to pay Gallup who’s coming off an ACL. Don’t even get me started on the Tank contract. That’s an albatross they’ll have to get real creative to fix.

Is CeeDee ready to be "the man" at WR? I dont think so. Sometimes he just disappears and he has to many drops. Maybe Im wrong but I also do not think todays players (generally speaking) are the competitors that players used to be. It is just about the money. How many of them "get paid" and then are never the same player again.

I’m not sure if Ceedee can do what the Cowboys and Kellen Moore want him to do. Phenomenal athlete. Can make incredible catches. I’m not sure the route running is there for him to be a slot threat. So you stick him on the outside. Gallup is an outside guy. You’re wanting to get rid of a guy in Cooper who can be a outside or inside guy. Then you’re wanting to tag Dalton Schultz. If you want a Dalton Schultz or an upgrade, this TE draft class can do that. We can find you a Dalton Schultz. You don’t pay Dalton Schultz.

• Like 1

We can all say shoulda, woulda, coulda, but Jerruh has always over paid for players.  If Dak was going to be "the dude" after his rookie season they should have brokered the contract then and put Zeke's butt on the trading block when he held out.

With Cooper's price tag and Lawrence's price tag a contender won't trade for them and a team rebuilding won't use them as corner stones because that makes no sense.  I hope they end up parting ways with Zeke after next year.