BOYS STATE BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT

Eagleborn

16 hours ago, t-dub said:

I was wondering if LaPoyners “captain “ was able to question every call that went against them. I know in the Beckville game, he went to an official every time. 

He tried, but was ignored. Officials allowed some physical play and they didn’t like it. Especially after watching the Timpson and Beckville where there were multiple calls that were very weak and some not making any sense whatsoever.

Congrats to Graford for finally winning it all......they have been to the Final Four and Final quite a few times.  But today was their breakthrough day against Texline......last season's Champ that was also favored again this season.  Texline looked like they had the team to win it, but great defense and quality shots by Graford at the end was the difference.  Good game.

4 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Texas A&M 17 pts up on Arkie in a SEC Semi on TV now.  They are the #5 Seed in that conference tournament.  Arkansas made it as the #4 Seed.  

A&M is the 8 seed in that tournament. And there's a college basketball thread in the college forum, lots of talk there. 

#2 LaMarques Pfenninger went off for 41 pts.....most in the 2nd half to break this tight game open in the 3rd quarter for Clarendon(39-1) to go back to back in Class 2A State Basketball Championships. Congrats to Clarendon.  He put on a clinic of shooting the ball.....end of story.

Clarendon 65

Lipan 51

Final

The Houston Cougars are favored in their semifinal match today against #5 Seed Tulane.....they lead at halftime 37-29.  Houston is the #1 Seed in the American Athletic Conference(AAC). The winner will face the winner of the other semifinal of #2 Seed Memphis vs #3 Seed SMU.......that should be a very competitive game for sure.  SMU is on the bubble and needs a win badly to get in to the NCAA March Madness Tournament.

The Cougars(27-5) lost their top two players for the season back in January and were then rated #2 in the nation.  Coach Kelvin Sampson had to retool their starting lineup as they dropped down to #14 with 4 more losses.   Now they appear to back in the groove again, but at the time were blowing out every opponent by 40 pts.  I'm keeping an eye on them to still do well in the NCAA Tournament.

1 hour ago, regaleagle said:

Coming up next is the Class 5A Final:  Beaumont United vs Mansfield Timberview at 3:30 PM

In a thriller......Beaumont United repeats as back to back Class 5A Champs.  It was back and forth all the way......at the very end Timberview just could not convert and was forced to send United to the line.....they knocked down those free throws and got up by 5.  Timberview could not cut the lead on missed shots.

2 hours ago, regaleagle said:

The Cougars(27-5) lost their top two players for the season back in January and were then rated #2 in the nation.  Coach Kelvin Sampson had to retool their starting lineup as they dropped down to #14 with 4 more losses.   Now they appear to back in the groove again, but at the time were blowing out every opponent by 40 pts.  I'm keeping an eye on them to still do well in the NCAA Tournament.

Sampson should be national coach of the year for what he has done this season.   Losing those 2 were a killer but Sampson found a way to win the AAC and now play in the finals of the AAC tourney.   Should be a 4 or 5 seed for the big dance.   

2 minutes ago, BlackShirtD said:

Sampson should be national coach of the year for what he has done this season.   Losing those 2 were a killer but Sampson found a way to win the AAC and now play in the finals of the AAC tourney.   Should be a 4 or 5 seed for the big dance.   

I think they will get a #3 Seed.....maybe a #4.  

7 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Is your role here just to complain since it's no longer football season.....or do you have something more worthy to contribute???

What does what Houston and Aggy done have to do with todays games in SA?

8 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Is your role here just to complain since it's no longer football season.....or do you have something more worthy to contribute???

Nope. I also don’t quote myself in 100% of the topics I post in so carry on.