Bipartisan Postal Service Bill Passes

BarryLaverty

Would like to see more and more of this, as some common sense decisions were made to stabilize the USPS. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/senate-passes-sweeping-overhaul-u-005927758.html

Senate passes sweeping overhaul of U.S. Postal Service

9f57e57c9eb3b866139fe282df424c64

Ivana Saric

The Senate voted 79-19 on Tuesday evening to pass a sweeping $107 billion plan to overhaul the U.S. Postal Service.

Why it matters: Advocates argue that the bill will provide the beleaguered USPS with financial relief and help it modernize its operations, per the Washington Post.

Get market news worthy of your time with Axios Markets. Subscribe for free.

• It will be the largest reform of the postal service in nearly two decades, the New York Times notes.

What's next: The bill passed with large bipartisan support and now heads to President Biden's desk to be signed.

Details: The Postal Service Reform Act, passed by the House last month, would require retired postal service employees to enroll in Medicare, develop an online dashboard with local and national delivery time data, and do away with a requirement for the USPS to fund employee retirement benefits 75 years in advance.

• The requirements to enroll workers in Medicare and not require USPS to fund retirement benefits decades ahead of time alone will save the USPS almost $50 billion over the next 10 years, CNN reports.

What they're saying: Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) tweeted Tuesday night that the act's passage would "improve service for the millions who rely on the USPS for medicines, voting, essential goods, and their livelihoods."

• "It's the most significant step we’ve taken in the 21st century to strengthen the USPS," he added.

While I understand that this a constitutional situation, the post office situation is one reason to NEVER allow the government to run our healthcare system. We are throwing another $107 Billion at a government run program that SHOULD be running with a profit or at least balanced, yearly. But as long as we continue to pay for high prices and terrible service, we deserve what we get. But this is what you get when you can't fire civil servants for not doing a good job. But hey, the senate worked together. Whoopie. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

Yeah, far be it that anything positive actually gets done. What a couple of cork up your rears cranks! :rofl:

I’m positive that the USPS will be back in a few years begging for another hand out to avoid bankruptcy….let the people at Chick-Fil-A run it….get a sandwich and your mail all at one time 

Just now, gamewatcher63 said:

I’m positive that the USPS will be back in a few years begging for another hand out to avoid bankruptcy….let the people at Chick-Fil-A run it….get a sandwich and your mail all at one time 

Great idea! .... The feds couldn't run a port-a-potty with free exlax ....

• LOL! 1

On 3/10/2022 at 8:28 AM, Youngcoach123 said:

They should have let it die 

Unfortunately they can't, because it's in the Constitution to have a post office.  I still think they can do that with only having one post office.  

I don't think this will put the USPS in the black anytime soon if at all.  They can't compete with UPS or Fed Ex.  I saw that they were now going to require post offices to open on Saturday.  I didn't even know they closed down on Saturday.  Then again about the only time I go to the post office now is maybe once every 10 years to buy what little stamps I need to get me through the next decade.  I bought 20 stamps for one letter three years ago, and I still have 19 stamps.  

I used to use them alot. USPS hiked rates 3 times in the last 5 years and a couple of seasonal temporary hikes on top of that. I gave up my Ebay store I had ran as a side-hussle since 2014 cause they had to be making more money than I was on certain items.