El Chico is nasty…

Coach Rab

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

Except the one in Rockwall, TX.  

thats all

Every single one that I ate at the food was good.  That would include all three that used to be in Longview, the two in Tyler, Shreveport, Richardson, Huntsville, and even Marshall was good in 1987.  I think all of the locations have closed.  I always liked the sour cream chicken enchiladas, and I can't find any that match them anywhere now.  Gonzalos was close in Longview, but even they're closed now.  

20 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

Every single one that I ate at the food was good.  That would include all three that used to be in Longview, the two in Tyler, Shreveport, Richardson, Huntsville, and even Marshall was good in 1987.  I think all of the locations have closed.  I always liked the sour cream chicken enchiladas, and I can't find any that match them anywhere now.  Gonzalos was close in Longview, but even they're closed now.  

I ate at the one in Marshall, not my choice,  a few times in the mid to late 90 .... I was not impressed, very bland .....

The Nicky's chain in Shreveport is very good.  My wife loves their sour cream enchiladas  .... I'm a Chili Relleno guy ....

Edited by KirtFalcon
yo mama

2 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

I have had better frozen Mexican dinners than anything I ever ate at any El Chicos .....

You're crazy then.  I've tried every Mexican TV dinner known to man.  If you like Chile Rellenos try Goya's chile relleneos.  You get 2 for about $6.  I have to have mine covered in queso (Pancho's thing), but I get my queso from La Esperanza here in Houston.  I bought some El Charrito TV dinners a couple of years ago, because I thought they tasted good in the early 80's, those ended up as dog food.  I haven't seen them on freezer shelves in awhile.  I bet it's because most people couldn't stomach them either.  There's some new brand at Wal Mart that has some enchiladas that are okay, but they're not worth the price they charge for them.  Those don't come with rice and beans either like the El Charrito's did.  I just looked that brand up, and they were created by El Chico and they sold them to Don Miguel Mexican Foods.  It's probably why they went down hill.

I also like Cantina Laredo which is also an offshoot of El Chico.  I know they have one in Tyler.  

1 hour ago, DaveTV1 said:

They closed bc they were nasty and poorly run

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

They closed bc they were nasty and poorly run

I know the one's in Longview, Tyler, Richardson, and Huntsville were always good when I went there.  I can't say the same for Marshall or Shreveport.  

Uncle Julio's is okay, but they are over priced.  I've eaten at the one north of Addison, TX off the Dallas North Tollway and in Atlanta in the Buckhead district.  I only went there, because good Mexican food was hard to find.  Superior Grill that started in Shreveport was the best Mexican food in Birmingham, AL so we drove to Atlanta for some.  Abuelo's is my third favorite Tex Mex restaurant.  

15 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

I really like the Uncle Julio's in DFW .... my wife likes Abuelo's in Tyler .... we used to eat at Papacitas in Lv, it was really good ...

Uncle Julio’s is basically 4* Mexican food in the middle restaurant cost range.  Worth the price.  All of their food is top notch 

14 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

I know the one's in Longview, Tyler, Richardson, and Huntsville were always good when I went there.  I can't say the same for Marshall or Shreveport.  

Uncle Julio's is okay, but they are over priced.  I've eaten at the one north of Addison, TX off the Dallas North Tollway and in Atlanta in the Buckhead district.  I only went there, because good Mexican food was hard to find.  Superior Grill that started in Shreveport was the best Mexican food in Birmingham, AL so we drove to Atlanta for some.  Abuelo's is my third favorite Tex Mex restaurant.  

Uncle J’s in Buckhead was just alright.  They just don’t know good texmex in the ATL

8 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

Uncle J’s in Buckhead was just alright.  They just don’t know good texmex in the ATL

It was the same that I found at the North Dallas Tollway location.  It's all right Tex Mex, but not true Tex Mex.  

8 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

My wife thinks Pancho's is the worst Meskin Restaurant on the planet ... she wouldnt eat there if it was free and they had top tier entertainment  ......

I think some get that perception, because of word of mouth, and they start to believe it.  I've reintroduced it to several people since moving to Houston, and they all liked it.  They had just bought into the hype that it was terrible.  I never did, but I eat there anytime I have a craving for it which is at least once if not more than once a month.  

49 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

I think some get that perception, because of word of mouth, and they start to believe it.  I've reintroduced it to several people since moving to Houston, and they all liked it.  They had just bought into the hype that it was terrible.  I never did, but I eat there anytime I have a craving for it which is at least once if not more than once a month.  

The last one we are at was in Bossier City back in the late 70s   ...  it was pretty bad .... it's a big joke she brings up every time she sees one .... lol

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2022 at 5:47 PM, DaveTV1 said:

I loved the Panchos in Longview. Still my favorite cheese enchiladas and chile rellanos. Ate at the one in Bossier probably 20 years ago and it was just not the same. 

On 3/20/2022 at 6:39 PM, KirtFalcon said:

The last one we are at was in Bossier City back in the late 70s   ...  it was pretty bad .... it's a big joke she brings up every time she sees one .... lol

I ate at the one in Bossier in 2009 across from Posada's and in between the Army/Navy/Marines/Air Force recruiting building and Kacoo's, and the food was good, but the service was very poor.  I love Kacoo's, but hadn't had as good Mexican food at Superior Grill in Birmingham compared to Pancho's in Bossier.  I still eat at the Pancho's in Humble.  

4 hours ago, EnjoyLife said:

I loved the Panchos in Longview. Still my favorite cheese enchiladas and chile rellanos. Ate at the one in Bossier probably 20 years ago and it was just not the same. 

That's the one I grew up with.  Before it was Pancho's it was the Spanish Galleon before it became Pancho's according to those that were born before me.  They had seafood on the menu.  In addition to what you liked the flautas that didn't come out until the 80's, guacamole salad, tacos, and the sopapillas were good.  I can remember when they would make nacho's for you too in the late 70's.  They were far better than you could find at any ball park.  

1 hour ago, DaveTV1 said:

I ate at the one in Bossier in 2009 across from Posada's and in between the Army/Navy/Marines/Air Force recruiting building and Kacoo's, and the food was good, but the service was very poor.  I love Kacoo's, but hadn't had as good Mexican food at Superior Grill in Birmingham compared to Pancho's in Bossier.  I still eat at the Pancho's in Humble.  

Kacoos is over priced and over rated in my opinion  ....

On 3/29/2022 at 7:32 PM, KirtFalcon said:

Kacoos is over priced and over rated in my opinion  ....

I agree. Wife and I went there for our 15th anniversary (2005). Bill was almost $100 and the food was mediocre...but still better than Red Lobster.

6 minutes ago, EnjoyLife said:

I agree. Wife and I went there for our 15th anniversary (2005). Bill was almost $100 and the food was mediocre...but still better than Red Lobster.

I'll take Red Lobster  🦞  over Kacoo's any day ....

On 3/19/2022 at 5:52 PM, DaveTV1 said:

I bought some El Charrito TV dinners a couple of years ago, because I thought they tasted good in the early 80's,

Yeah...in the early 80s I thought those cheap frozen burritos heated in the microwave with a slice of American cheese melted on top and some picante sauce poured over them were really good. I think it had more to do with us being young back then (and not knowing any better) than the actual quality of the food lol.

• Like 1