El Chico is nasty…

Coach Rab

Most of Red Lobster's fish, if not all of it, is delivered FROZEN.  You are not getting fresh seafood.  It is bought in bulk, you aren't even getting the best ingredients.  You are getting whatever they could purchase the cheapest, but you are paying top dollar fresh seafood prices on it.  I realize that growing up in ETX, we aren't exposed to the variety that you get in more populated areas, but next trip down to Galveston, please pop in a real seafood restaurant and eat real fresh seafood for the same price.  You will understand.

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

Most of Red Lobster's fish, if not all of it, is delivered FROZEN.  You are not getting fresh seafood.  It is bought in bulk, you aren't even getting the best ingredients.  You are getting whatever they could purchase the cheapest, but you are paying top dollar fresh seafood prices on it.  I realize that growing up in ETX, we aren't exposed to the variety that you get in more populated areas, but next trip down to Galveston, please pop in a real seafood restaurant and eat real fresh seafood for the same price.  You will understand.

There are probably some really good sea food restaurants there but I ate at Joes Crab Shack in Galveston and was not impressed.

28 minutes ago, EnjoyLife said:

There are probably some really good sea food restaurants there but I ate at Joes Crab Shack in Galveston and was not impressed.

JCS is my least favorite place to eat of all time .... way over rated!!! ....

1 hour ago, EnjoyLife said:

JOES CRAB SHACK IS NOT REAL SEAFOOD.  THAT :poop: is nasty and that place is poorly run.  Next time you go, try Willie G's, Fisherman's Wharf or Gaido's.  They are at the port, not on the sea wall.  The best spot to eat on the sea wall is "The Spot."  It has something for everyone, a great view, and they keep it very basic. 

9 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

JOES CRAB SHACK IS NOT REAL SEAFOOD.  THAT :poop: is nasty and that place is poorly run.  Next time you go, try Willie G's, Fisherman's Wharf or Gaido's.  They are at the port, not on the sea wall.  The best spot to eat on the sea wall is "The Spot."  It has something for everyone, a great view, and they keep it very basic. 

Papadeauxs.......

• Like 1

On 3/29/2022 at 7:32 PM, KirtFalcon said:

Kacoos is over priced and over rated in my opinion  ....

I've only ate at the one in Bossier City, and they were always good.  I love the gator tail, shrimp, and oysters.  I don't eat fish unless it's Orange Roughy or Chilean Sea Bass.  I do like Long John Silver's/Captain D's fried fish because of the batter.  It doesn't have that fishy taste that most fish places have.  

4 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

Red Lobster is a poor man's seafood.

If you want poor man's seafood that is better than most go to Captain Tom's Seafood on 1960 or Cypress Creek Pkwy. in Houston.  The restaurant itself isn't much to speak of, but the seafood is fresh off the boat and it is prepared at what you would pay $$$ for at most places.  They have great gumbo at $3.95 for a bowl, a dozen oysters on the half shell were last $8.95 compared to $16.95 at Pappadeuxs, I always get the Fried Special which is 3 butterfly shrimp and 6 oysters with fries and hush puppies for $11.95.  You can't beat those prices anywhere, especially with the quality of the seafood they serve.  Don't get the flounder which is cooked Mexican style with cuts in it.   A friend of mine says it dries out the meat, plus the head is still on it.  I won't eat anything with the head still own it.  I don't want that thing looking at me.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

Actually Red Lobster has suppliers for all their food products.  They set a price with the vendor even before the market changes so that they can set their prices to hit their food cost goals.  That might have changed when Darden sold them off.  That's how Olive Garden does it.  I know they get their fish from Norway and their shrimp from Vietnam, but yes it does come in frozen.  

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

I agree with Gaido's and Willie G's.  I never liked The Spot.  I used to like the place cattycorner to the east from it that had the pier where you could sit over the Gulf, but it closed down several years ago for some reason.  

22 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

I agree with Gaido's and Willie G's.  I never liked The Spot.  I used to like the place cattycorner to the east from it that had the pier where you could sit over the Gulf, but it closed down several years ago for some reason.  

The pandemic shutdowns killed a lot of restaurants in Galveston 

23 hours ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

Eagles Nest in Zavalla has a great catfish plate......

Catfish is the nastiest fish to eat in my opinion.  It's a bottom feeder, and it tastes like dirt.  Even farm raised catfish is terrible.  When I used to sell pizza at the Tulsa Oilers home games there was a caterer there that served food for their diamond club, and he used crushed Dorito's for the batter.  It took away the dirt taste, and I could actually eat it.  When I cook oysters at home I crush up saltine crackers dip the oysters in egg then the cracker crumbs repeat and fry.  They taste better that way than with corn meal.  

Love me some oysters.  Raw, boiled, fried, My sister's crawdad boil is the last weekend of April in Covington, La .... It's a 3 day wing ding with Golf on Thursday  ....  Crawfish, shrimp, BBQ, jambalaya, boudan, and every side dish and desert 🏜  imaginable.... I always buy a sack of oysters and 30 pounds of shrimp .... heeeeell, yes!!!! ... I tell you for true!!!!  The one week a year I do most of my drinking  .....  will take a week to recover ....

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...