Since it's not much chatter...

TrumpisDump

On 5/5/2022 at 12:37 PM, KirtFalcon said:

Garrison 2001 - 2003 .....

Garrison 2003 was something else.

And like Alto in 1995, Garrison in 2001 probably wins state against ANY team other than Celina. Heck, if those teams had played five times, Garrison might've won four of 'em, they were that good.

1 hour ago, d0tc0m said:

And like Alto in 1995, Garrison in 2001 probably wins state against ANY team other than Celina. Heck, if those teams had played five times, Garrison might've won four of 'em, they were that good.

And had the other 2003 State Champion in the same district. 

Garrison / 94-95 year man they were just as good as alto.Alto I believe beat us 6 to 2 and garrison dropped two touchdown passes on one drive but that backfield of Vicky tutt  mark woodard and Chad Henderson was tough with Sed Harton o defense man it was something to see d line and o line were mean big and nasty

• 1 year later...

I know it’s been awhile on this thread but heard the sad news the great Johnny Hurndon had passed away. “Johnny B” played in 3 State Championships. 
As a sophomore, he was part of the 1983 team that I have written about. He was a member of a 6 deep running back squad who shined in the Semi-final and State Games showcasing his speed and lateral movement. 
He played with his brother Ed “A Team” Hurndon, who played left tackle on offense. 

I enjoyed my several interviews with Johnny B, he was always entertaining, had a great memory, and was a kind man. He had a hard life after his accident but always kept his attitude positive and no one who saw him run will ever forget him.  

IMG_1426.png

• Like 2

On 4/22/2022 at 9:02 AM, d0tc0m said:

Since '83 D-Field is off limits, here are some of the better ones I've seen in person:

2008 Carthage

2014 Gilmer

2020 Carthage

Underrated pick: 1995 Alto. That state title game against Celina was an all-time classic. Jackets probably win state if it was against anyone but that Celina team.

And 2014 Gilmer shouldn’t have even played for the title. Daylon Mack got that first down 👀

• Like 1

On 5/6/2022 at 1:36 PM, d0tc0m said:

Against what other teams are you saying?   All classifications?   Surely that’s not what you’re saying. 

54 minutes ago, EastTexasKnowItAll said:

Against what other teams are you saying?   All classifications?   Surely that’s not what you’re saying. 

No, that’s not what I said last year lol.

I meant Garrison could have and probably WOULD have beaten every other team in 2A. Just ran into an historic team on an historic streak, and luck was a bit on the Bobcats side.

• Like 1

Another wild card team is the 2013 Corrigan team. First and only 10-0 team ran through the playoffs and lost to waskom by 2 on a botched 2 point conversion in the 4th round. I do strongly say that team goes on to beat Refugio and then give Cisco and good run in the state game. Team was full of athletes and big mean dudes. Johnson and Mitchell rushed for however many yards they wanted a game I don’t know how many they racked up that season. Plus a 2 headed monster duo at fullback that also toted the load. 

19 hours ago, Brandon R. Sanders said:

I know it’s been awhile on this thread but heard the sad news the great Johnny Hurndon had passed away. “Johnny B” played in 3 State Championships. 
As a sophomore, he was part of the 1983 team that I have written about. He was a member of a 6 deep running back squad who shined in the Semi-final and State Games showcasing his speed and lateral movement. 
He played with his brother Ed “A Team” Hurndon, who played left tackle on offense. 

I enjoyed my several interviews with Johnny B, he was always entertaining, had a great memory, and was a kind man. He had a hard life after his accident but always kept his attitude positive and no one who saw him run will ever forget him.  

IMG_1426.png

RIP Johnnie B. Great high school legend. 

10 hours ago, dawgs.swarm said:

Another wild card team is the 2013 Corrigan team. First and only 10-0 team ran through the playoffs and lost to waskom by 2 on a botched 2 point conversion in the 4th round. I do strongly say that team goes on to beat Refugio and then give Cisco and good run in the state game. Team was full of athletes and big mean dudes. Johnson and Mitchell rushed for however many yards they wanted a game I don’t know how many they racked up that season. Plus a 2 headed monster duo at fullback that also toted the load. 

Seriously, that Refugio team beat Waskom by 30 that year. I could certainly understand if the Refugio/ Waskom game was close but to assume that they would have beaten Refugio is reaching.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, wooderson said:

Seriously, that Refugio team beat Waskom by 30 that year. I could certainly understand if the Refugio/ Waskom game was close but to assume that they would have beaten Refugio is reaching.

That was a good Waskom team no doubt. But the 2013 CC team was 10x more physical than them we slapped them around like no one else could that year just tough luck for the dogs that night. CC would have matched up a lot better against Refugio than waskom did imo just on the basis of physicality not to mention the however many thousand yards of rushing the backfield had.  Just one of those what if scenarios though…

On 7/16/2023 at 1:58 PM, dawgs.swarm said:

Glad to see this thread back! D field no doubt 83-85. A few sleepers tho…

1988 Corrigan 

1989 Groveton 

2017 newton

2002 corrigan 

2003 garrison just to name a few 

1989 Groveton was certainly a fine team, but Rodney was the stud that took them all the way. 

On 5/5/2022 at 8:14 AM, GoBigBlue said:

Johnnie H played for East Texas State I believe but that was 30 years ago.  I do know that Johnnie H. was nfl talent but a car wreck damaged his eye really bad.  I had the fortune of watching Johnnie clear 6'+ in parachute pants at track practice once after our track coach got on to him about giving his jumpers a hard time.  I don't remember how tall Johnnie was but he was clearly shy of 6'.  

Johnie Hurndon's grandson, Jaden Hurndon is on track to be the next great Longview WR.

'28 class, already 6'0 and when I say that he can play....kid is a monster.

Edited by ANTI
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Mr. P said:

1989 Groveton was certainly a fine team, but Rodney was the stud that took them all the way. 

Definitely I believe they knocked CC out in the playoffs in 89 not entirely sure but I believe that was the case. Another state caliber CC team that season the Indians were just too much with Rodney to handle though. One of many great 80s Groveton teams 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dawgs.swarm said:

Definitely I believe they knocked CC out in the playoffs in 89 not entirely sure but I believe that was the case. Another state caliber CC team that season the Indians were just too much with Rodney to handle though. One of many great 80s Groveton teams 

88 and 89 were two of our best teams, but ran into an absolute buzzsaw named Rodney Thomas. 

1 hour ago, Mr. P said:

88 and 89 were two of our best teams, but ran into an absolute buzzsaw named Rodney Thomas. 

Definitely. Still puzzles me how the 88 state team didint go 16-0….

they went 15-0-1 tied San Augustine who wasn’t even a playoff team that season 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, dawgs.swarm said:

Definitely. Still puzzles me how the 88 state team didint go 16-0….

they went 15-0-1 tied San Augustine who wasn’t even a playoff team that season 

Oops, sorry, I mean Overton...  88 and 89 were two of *our* best teams too.  ;)