These Iconic Fast Food Chains No Longer Exist

RETIREDFAN1

I've thought about many of the places I used to love to eat that aren't around anymore.  Who knows how the younger generation swings, but they're not being helped by teachers.  

Some that I didn't see from the list were.  1.  Kn Root Beer with the frosty mugs and gallons of Root Beer in brown bottles that you would always keep 1 to save pennies in. 2. Swensen's Ice Cream (they're popular in Southeast Asia, but have risky commercials) 3. Wyatt's Cafeteria 4. Top Burger (Maybe they were just a Longview burger joint, but they were better than Dairy Queen, but not as good as Whataburger) 5. Western Sizzlin' (I haven't seen one of those in years) 6.  Have you ever sucked on a chili dog outside a Tastee Freeze ?  I haven't either, but John Cougar Mellenhead sang about it in "Jack and Diane".  I haven't seen one since I was in Tulsa in 1996. 7. Southern Maid Donuts (sure we have Shipley's, but Elvis even used to advertise for Southern Maid) 8. Mickey Mantle Restaurants, yes we had one in Longview, and he appeared at the Longview Mall opening. Speaking of the Mall.  9.  Morrow's Nut House with their famous Tiger Butter that made the food court smell really good.  10.  Corn Dog 7 11. Alvin Ord's 12. Old San Francisco Steak House  

• Like 1

On 4/21/2022 at 9:37 PM, DaveTV1 said:

they were better than Dairy Queen, but not as good as Whataburger

I realize that in Texas this is blaspheme...and might get me banned from Smoaky for saying it lol...but a Hunger Buster from the DQ is a lot better burger than a Whataburger.

imo

On 4/26/2022 at 8:55 AM, EnjoyLife said:

I realize that in Texas this is blaspheme...and might get me banned from Smoaky for saying it lol...but a Hunger Buster from the DQ is a lot better burger than a Whataburger.

imo

Since Waterburger sold out to Yankees I’m going to agree with you. DQ tacos ain’t bad neither.

On 5/3/2022 at 6:15 PM, DB2point0 said:

Southern Maid Donuts is alive and well

Ain’t seen one in awhile. Gilmer had one for a little while. I think there was one in Tyler off of Gentry.

On 4/21/2022 at 9:37 PM, DaveTV1 said:

I've thought about many of the places I used to love to eat that aren't around anymore.  Who knows how the younger generation swings, but they're not being helped by teachers.  

Some that I didn't see from the list were.  1.  Kn Root Beer with the frosty mugs and gallons of Root Beer in brown bottles that you would always keep 1 to save pennies in. 2. Swensen's Ice Cream (they're popular in Southeast Asia, but have risky commercials) 3. Wyatt's Cafeteria 4. Top Burger (Maybe they were just a Longview burger joint, but they were better than Dairy Queen, but not as good as Whataburger) 5. Western Sizzlin' (I haven't seen one of those in years) 6.  Have you ever sucked on a chili dog outside a Tastee Freeze ?  I haven't either, but John Cougar Mellenhead sang about it in "Jack and Diane".  I haven't seen one since I was in Tulsa in 1996. 7. Southern Maid Donuts (sure we have Shipley's, but Elvis even used to advertise for Southern Maid) 8. Mickey Mantle Restaurants, yes we had one in Longview, and he appeared at the Longview Mall opening. Speaking of the Mall.  9.  Morrow's Nut House with their famous Tiger Butter that made the food court smell really good.  10.  Corn Dog 7 11. Alvin Ord's 12. Old San Francisco Steak House  

Was it Bonanza or Western Sizzler in Longview off the loop, by the old Mervyn’s? Ate there many a time as a kid.

The old Pancho’s off 31. Wyatt’s Cafeteria. The old Dairy Queen in Gilmer by ABC auto. 

What was the old burger joint in Longview? It was off 80, down by Pizza King and Super 1? On the right side of the road.

19 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Ain’t seen one in awhile. Gilmer had one for a little while. I think there was one in Tyler off of Gentry.

There’s 3 in Shreveport. One on Mansfield Rd south of Bert Kouns.  One on I-20 close to Hirsh Coliseum.  One on E. 70th behind Rotolo’s, next to Brewniverse Craft beers.

23 hours ago, Stoney said:

Was it Bonanza or Western Sizzler in Longview off the loop, by the old Mervyn’s? Ate there many a time as a kid.

The old Pancho’s off 31. Wyatt’s Cafeteria. The old Dairy Queen in Gilmer by ABC auto. 

What was the old burger joint in Longview? It was off 80, down by Pizza King and Super 1? On the right side of the road.

Bonanza was on Judson Rd.  across from Jimmy Deans restaurant that to me was like a rip off of Bob Evans that you see up north, but I haven't seen a Jimmy Deans in years.  Western Sizzler was on Spur 63 near Kroger's and the Waffle Shoppe that no longer exists.  The Western Sizzler was last a Casa Ole that I remember.  The burger joint I think was called another name in the 70's, but became Todd's Great Steaks in the early 80's they always had a large angus bull in front of it, and it was near the Globetrotter Motel.  I used to like The Shed that was further out 259/31 in between Kilgore and Longview.  I also liked La Hacienda that was on the outskirts of Kilgore.  I took my prom date there.  There was also a La Hacienda in Nacogdoches that was across from Kroger's near the junction of Starr Ave. (FM 1878).  Casa Tomas that was in Huntsville was also good, and they have one in Nacogdoches now.  

On 5/3/2022 at 6:15 PM, DB2point0 said:

Southern Maid Donuts is alive and well

They're hard to find though.  Those things melt in your mouth.  I've seen the youtube videos of them out of Shreveport.  They put Shipley's to shame.  If you watch this video you will hear him say that he's about to go home to watch the rest of the Cowboys game, and not the Who Dat game.  Also he mentions that he missed getting his dozen when they were hot out of the fryer and freshly glazed.  Southern Maid are best at 6 am.  

13 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

They're hard to find though.  Those things melt in your mouth.  I've seen the youtube videos of them out of Shreveport.  They put Shipley's to shame.  If you watch this video you will hear him say that he's about to go home to watch the rest of the Cowboys game, and not the Who Dat game.  Also he mentions that he missed getting his dozen when they were hot out of the fryer and freshly glazed.  Southern Maid are best at 6 am.  

The one on Mansfield Rd makes fresh glazed donuts at 4:30 pm as well.  I think they’re the only one that does that.  The one on E. 70th closes at 2pm I think.  It’s right next to Brewniverse which is a craft beer specialty shop.  Two spots worth a look