2022 Official SDC NFL Draft Thread

8 hours ago, Stoney said:

Dallas Cowboys 1.24 select Tyler Smith OG Tulsa

He's mean and plays nasty. Better run blocker according to scouts. He has hands issues pass blocking, and this leads to holding calls. He had 12 of them last year. Sounds like he will pick up where Connor Williams left off lol.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, MeanGreenDogs64 said:

He's mean and plays nasty. Better run blocker according to scouts. He has hands issues pass blocking, and this leads to holding calls. He had 12 of them last year. Sounds like he will pick up where Connor Williams left off lol.

SUMMARY: A three-year starter at Tulsa, Smith lined up at left tackle in head coach Philip Montgomery’s up-tempo smashmouth spread. One of the youngest players in the draft (and has only been playing on the offensive line for five years), he earned the starting left tackle job in 2020 and earned All-AAC honors each of the last two seasons. With his size, movement skills and physical brand of football, Smith is the type of young talent ideal for drafting and developing at the right price. However, he relies too much on his aggression, and his chaotic timing and technique lead to balance issues. Overall, Smith is incredibly raw, but he has the play strength and physical traits to get significantly better with technical and mental development

• Like 2

It scares me taking a guy at 24 who’s pretty much guaranteed a starting spot with hand, feet, technique issues. Bright spot is having Tyron Smith and Zack Martin in house to learn from. Kids 21 years old. He’s young enough to overcome those. Dallas needed a LG and heir apparent to Tyron Smith. They may have got that.

• Like 1

Here's my issue with Dallas's pick, and yes, I did take issue with it. 

First and foremost, 1st round picks are not for players that need to be groomed and developed. If you get drafted in the first round, you better be expected to get on the field during your first year. 

Secondly, the penalties. He was the 3rd most flagged OL in FBS last year. If we're looking for players that fit right into to what we're already doing, then I guess we hit a homerun. 

When I watched his tape, he's very good in run coverage. It's pass coverage that he's just awful. He's not quick off the snap. This leads him to having to reach for the defender, which then leads to the holding penalties. Which by the way, 12 may have been called, but he got away with many more. 

The one game he played against NFL caliber DL last season, Ohio State, he got destroyed the entire game. 

Devin Lloyd, Nakobe Dean, Jermaine Johnson, Tyler Linderbaum...all were still there for Dallas, and I would've preferred any one of them over Smith.

Sorry, but I'm not one of the Cowboys fans that believes every pick we make is a Pro Bowler. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stoney said:

It scares me taking a guy at 24 who’s pretty much guaranteed a starting spot with hand, feet, technique issues. Bright spot is having Tyron Smith and Zack Martin in house to learn from. Kids 21 years old. He’s young enough to overcome those. Dallas needed a LG and heir apparent to Tyron Smith. They may have got that.

He has guard feet playing tackle and his hands are always out of position but if they move him to guard, he can be really nasty inside

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Straw said:

This kid is a great pick

I had some issues with Tyler Smith but I can understand the pick. The Sam Williams pick is a good one. Some off the field concerns but on the field, he’s what you want from an edge. Jalen Tolbert at 56 would have been a home run. Getting him at 88 is even better. Dallas has basically drafted 3 2nd rounders so far. Not too bad considering they’ve stayed put and let the draft fall to them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stoney said:

I had some issues with Tyler Smith but I can understand the pick. The Sam Williams pick is a good one. Some off the field concerns but on the field, he’s what you want from an edge. Jalen Tolbert at 56 would have been a home run. Getting him at 88 is even better. Dallas has basically drafted 3 2nd rounders so far. Not too bad considering they’ve stayed put and let the draft fall to them.

Smith was real high on a lot of boards and to be fair, I heard only 16 men graded out as first round picks. Conner has been oin the league for 4 years and is still crap, I believe Smiths problems are easily fixable cause its technique issues. Conners was from his lack of strength which in 4 years he should have fixed. I think this has been overall a good draft so far. Granted, I would have picked Johnson before Smith.