Jump to content

Question - looking for a ruling


 Share

Recommended Posts

I was asked if a coach can require a student athlete to participate in one sport before he/ she can participate in another? Example to play baseball, you would also be required to play football, or to play volleyball. you would also be required to play basketball. Is this situation addressed in UIL rules or is it up to the individual school?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, bcretired said:

I was asked if a coach can require a student athlete to participate in one sport before he/ she can participate in another? Example to play baseball, you would also be required to play football, or to play volleyball. you would also be required to play basketball. Is this situation addressed in UIL rules or is it up to the individual school?

No

That is expressly addressed in the UIL rules.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In my opinion. Every junior high kid should play football basketball track. You never know the growth of a kid from then to highschool. Volleyball basketball track same way in girls. When they get into highschool you will lose a few but after the 9th grade kids then and only then are old enough to make that decision of what they want to play and not. You can’t go back. When I was in high school the parents didn’t have to encourage kids to play everything. I know it’s different I’m old. But let kids be kids. Why the specialization in highschool 99.9% of these kids aren’t going to play sports in college 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A lot of programs require a student to participate in a Fall and a Spring sport, but do not say what sports those are. For example running cross country and then playing baseball. That is more a program and AD decision at smaller schools though to keep participation in smaller sports up and make sure kids are competing in a sport other than their preferred.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've heard that in order to particapte in a spring sport you have to participate in a fall sport and vice versa........... which is a good thing, i bet youre asking this because your bkid is going to the mlb and youre afreaid football will hurt them because the select team summer baseball coach who would have been the best pitcher in mlb history before he had a career ending mosquito bite tells you

  • LOL! 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As a longtime coach and a Former AD I encouraged athletes to play as many sports a possible--One of first question colleges always asked me- especially for basketball and baseball players was what other sports did they participate in. They didn't really like single sports players. With that being said I don't agree that you should ever force or require an athlete to play another sport. A good lawyer could probably make you liable for any injuries if that was the case

Link to comment
Share on other sites

straight out of UIL

(b) THE ATHLETIC CODE FOR COACHES. The code for athletic sponsors includes the principles described in Subsection (a) and the purposes listed in Section 1200. Further, the coach’s code includes:

(1) Being aware of, understanding and following all rules governing the competition for which the coach is responsible.

(2) Informing one’s immediate supervisor in writing the next school day after a contest if ejected from that contest for unsportsmanlike actions, or, in football, if given two 15-yard unsportsmanlike penalties during one contest, knowing that such conduct requires automatic penalty.

(3) Treating athletes based on what is best for the education, general welfare and health of the student.

(4) Professional loyalty to other coaches.

(5) Not removing a team from a contest as a protest.

(6) Adhering to in season and out of season practice regulations.

(7) Adhering to policies which do not force athletes to specialize or restrict them from participation in other sports.

(8) Allowing students to participate in one school sport without requiring, as a prerequisite, participation in another school sport.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

So can a student be required to participate in more than one sport? Don’t think the question was ever answered ....

Yes they can, but not by the UIL....... so no.

 

Some athletic programs do require it. But it is not a UIL rule. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can make that a requirement but in practice, it is very hard to do it. You can easily tell them, no athletic period unless you are in 2 sports. When coaches have to cover an off-season sport, during their other sport, there is no one to workout the off-season guys, or girls. That is why you dont see big schools requiring 2 or more sports.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, coachingforfreeclothes said:

You can make that a requirement but in practice, it is very hard to do it. You can easily tell them, no athletic period unless you are in 2 sports. When coaches have to cover an off-season sport, during their other sport, there is no one to workout the off-season guys, or girls. That is why you dont see big schools requiring 2 or more sports.

Has it ever been challenged in court? ....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

Has it ever been challenged in court? ....

I doubt it has ever made it that far, but anyone challenging that in my opinion would have their child labeled a a problem and ruin any chance they have of playing in college or the next level. Coaches don't want have to the distractions around their team. The 2 sport recommendation has more to do with not having a kid using the same muscles year round causing more damage and chance of injury. Baseball being played year round, especially if you are pitching year round is increasing the amount of shoulder and elbow injuries, some end in Tommy John surgery before a kid even graduates from high school. 

 

I don't see any thing wrong with a program asking their kids to play more than one sport at least for one year in high school. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

According to UIL rules above, a coach can't require a student to play one sport or he/ she can't play any other sport. Example- If a girl was a 3 sport player, but the coach said if you don't play volleyball in the fall, you can't play basketball or run track, then my understanding is he/ she would be in violation of UIL rules.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know our school doesn’t have off season basketball for boys or for baseball but I guess that’s why we are horrible at both. I think u limit kids when u neglect other sports. So why should a coach be allowed to require kids to play more than one sport if they don’t put the effort in having an all around program.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, bcretired said:

According to UIL rules above, a coach can't require a student to play one sport or he/ she can't play any other sport. Example- If a girl was a 3 sport player, but the coach said if you don't play volleyball in the fall, you can't play basketball or run track, then my understanding is he/ she would be in violation of UIL rules.

 

On 5/2/2022 at 12:24 PM, darktower said:

straight out of UIL

(b) THE ATHLETIC CODE FOR COACHES. The code for athletic sponsors includes the principles described in Subsection (a) and the purposes listed in Section 1200. Further, the coach’s code includes:

(1) Being aware of, understanding and following all rules governing the competition for which the coach is responsible.

(2) Informing one’s immediate supervisor in writing the next school day after a contest if ejected from that contest for unsportsmanlike actions, or, in football, if given two 15-yard unsportsmanlike penalties during one contest, knowing that such conduct requires automatic penalty.

(3) Treating athletes based on what is best for the education, general welfare and health of the student.

(4) Professional loyalty to other coaches.

(5) Not removing a team from a contest as a protest.

(6) Adhering to in season and out of season practice regulations.

(7) Adhering to policies which do not force athletes to specialize or restrict them from participation in other sports.

(8) Allowing students to participate in one school sport without requiring, as a prerequisite, participation in another school sport.

You left out this important part

The Athletic Code and the Athletic Code for Coaches carry the force of rule. Member school districts, member schools and/or covered school district personnel who violate any of the provisions of these codes will be subject to penalty.

(a) THE ATHLETIC CODE. The general Athletic Code means to:

(1) Play the game in the spirit of fairness and sportsmanship, observing all rules, both in letter and intent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, coachingforfreeclothes said:

Again, you can make the requirement by saying "you can play only 1 sport but in order to be in athletics period, you need to play a sport in the current semester."

 

So in the example given, she would be playing basketball in the fall (begins the last of October) and track in the spring.    For boys, the example would be basketball in the fall and track in the spring. That would fulfill the rule, and negate being forced to play the sport (Volleyball/ football ) he/ she didn't want to play. You could also go the other direction and take out track.

Edited by bcretired
thought of another example.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bcretired said:

So in the example given, she would be playing basketball in the fall (begins the last of October) and track in the spring.    For boys, the example would be basketball in the fall and track in the spring. That would fulfill the rule, and negate being forced to play the sport (Volleyball/ football ) he/ she didn't want to play. You could also go the other direction and take out track.

One should never take out track!!! 😀

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, coachingforfreeclothes said:

Again, you can make the requirement by saying "you can play only 1 sport but in order to be in athletics period, you need to play a sport in the current semester."

 

This is it. Up to each AD or school district. Can make a 2 sport rule for everyone in athletics, and can even say those have to be team sports. 
You can’t force a kid to play any specific sport, but you can choose to spend half your athletic period doing the track workout (speed training) and then tell the kids “you’re already putting the work in. Why not go enjoy the track meets?”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can take them out the period yes but i know if an instance where a school had to change the athletic policy in the handbook that required two sports to play another to where it said two sports to be in the period. This was by the uil beacuse it was challenge by a student and parent. Its very merky water just be careful. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My sons have been forced to run/participate in track during baseball season.  I disagreed.  They played football & Basketball so the two sport is mute.  I disagreed with it.  Lifting is good for all but when a pitcher is required to lift heavy an hour before he goes on the hill, I highly question that.  Sad thing is I wanted them to throw the discus but they were not allowed because they were not lineman(both played DE/SE again questioned that).  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...