Two former East Tx RBs drafted

mikehoncho

I don’t know if it’s more appropriate to be in the NFL section, but two former star east Texas running backs were just drafted within two picks of each other in the 6th round of the NFL draft. Former Carthage RB Keaontay Ingram to the Cardinals and former Henderson RB Trestan Ebner to the Bears. I just thought it was cool, two guys who played 30 minutes down the road and against one another many times going just about back to back in the draft. 

• Like 3
  • Love 3

53 minutes ago, mikehoncho said:

I don’t know if it’s more appropriate to be in the NFL section, but two former star east Texas running backs were just drafted within two picks of each other in the 6th round of the NFL draft. Former Carthage RB Keaontay Ingram to the Cardinals and former Henderson RB Trestan Ebner to the Bears. I just thought it was cool, two guys who played 30 minutes down the road and against one another many times going just about back to back in the draft. 

Excellent but Ebner was a WR in HS. Proud of them both!

• Like 1

Both of those players were total game changers in high school.

Ebner actually had a better college career than my Carthage man, Ingram. However, Ingram had an interesting college career to say the least.

Ingram has a lot of upside and never really fully reached his potential at UT before transferring for one year to USC.

Ebner was a really quality player for BU and very reliable. 
Good for both young men!! BEASTTEXAS

• Like 3

22 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Ebner actually had a better college career than my Carthage man, Ingram. However, Ingram had an interesting college career to say the least.

Ingram has a lot of upside and never really fully reached his potential at UT before transferring for one year to USC.

Kalon Barnes of Silsbee also drafted at #242 by Carolina.  He played CB at Baylor.  Fun fact he also played against Ingram in the playoffs in 2017. He was pretty vocal on social media the week of the game talking about how Silsbee was going to win.  Carthage answered with nine TD’s in the first half and won 64-36.  To his credit Barnes did have 3 TD catches.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

Lakendrick Vanzandt from Henderson also ended up with the Cowboys.

I was about to ask about him since I knew he was part of that class, I must have missed seeing that pick. That’s awesome! Being a cowboys fan (I know) I was hoping they’d pick up at least one of the East texas guys 

• Like 1

Another player drafted who Keaontay played against in high school was DB Jalen Pitre of Stafford High School and Baylor University. He was the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year last year and a second round pick by the Texans.

In Pitre’s final high school game, he was ejected for targeting when he hit a defenseless Keaontay in the flat after an overthrown pass. Carthage came from behind to beat the talented Stafford team in that game on its way to a state championship.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, BevBrownJr said:

Another player drafted who Keaontay played against in high school was DB Jalen Pitre of Stafford High School and Baylor University. He was the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year last year and a second round pick by the Texans.

In Pitre’s final high school game, he was ejected for targeting when he hit a defenseless Keaontay in the flat after an overthrown pass. Carthage came from behind to beat the talented Stafford team in that game on its way to a state championship.

Thanks for reminding me of him.  He was a Headhunter.  That was 2016 and probably one of the hardest hits Ingram took, at least in high school.  Losing that type of defensive player was a huge blow for Stafford.  They were pretty salty that year and that game came down to the last play in the rain.  Did the Jones kid from that Stafford team that went to TAMU as a WR enter the draft also?

1 hour ago, PantherNation2015 said:

Thanks for reminding me of him.  He was a Headhunter.  That was 2016 and probably one of the hardest hits Ingram took, at least in high school.  Losing that type of defensive player was a huge blow for Stafford.  They were pretty salty that year and that game came down to the last play in the rain.  Did the Jones kid from that Stafford team that went to TAMU as a WR enter the draft also?

Apparently not. He is on A&M’s spring roster.

BTW, Carthage, Henderson and Marshall (as well as Silsbee and Stafford) each had 1 former player drafted. The entire Austin area had only 1 of its former high school players drafted, as only Lake Travis had a former player picked.

On 4/30/2022 at 5:27 PM, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Ebner having a better college career than Ingram must be coming from a Texas fan. Ingram might not have lived up to his ranking coming out of HS, but as a college RB he had a pretty damn good career if you look at the numbers. Ebner was a special teams monster which will help him make a team in the league, but as far as having a better college career as a RB than Ingram, I think you are wrong.

Ingram played 4 years and missed some time,  especially his junior year where he opted out. But for his career he still had 2,722 rushing yards at 5.5 ypc. He also had 671 receiving yards at 7.5 ypc. Ingram had a total of 3,393 total scrimmage yards in 4 years with a total of 22 TD.

Ebner played 5 seasons and had a total of 1,690 rushing yards at 4.9 ypc. He added 1,515 receiving yards at 11.9 ypc. So much better out if the backfield as a receiver, but that’s also due to the system and use. Ebner had a total of 20 TD in 5 seasons and total yards from scrimmage of 3,205.

Good luck to both young men. Both well deserved and I know it’s a dream come true for both young men. Just thought I’d drop a post about the “better” college career. Ingram gets a lot of hate from Texas fans. Glad he had some success at USC his last year. Actually would’ve loved to see him play one more year for a real coach at USC. Would’ve no doubt improved his draft stock.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, SmoakyBandito said:

Ebner having a better college career than Ingram must be coming from a Texas fan. Ingram might not have lived up to his ranking coming out of HS, but as a college RB he had a pretty damn good career if you look at the numbers. Ebner was a special teams monster which will help him make a team in the league, but as far as having a better college career as a RB than Ingram, I think you are wrong.

Ingram played 4 years and missed some time,  especially his junior year where he opted out. But for his career he still had 2,722 rushing yards at 5.5 ypc. He also had 671 receiving yards at 7.5 ypc. Ingram had a total of 3,393 total scrimmage yards in 4 years with a total of 22 TD.

Ebner played 5 seasons and had a total of 1,690 rushing yards at 4.9 ypc. He added 1,515 receiving yards at 11.9 ypc. So much better out if the backfield as a receiver, but that’s also due to the system and use. Ebner had a total of 20 TD in 5 seasons and total yards from scrimmage of 3,205.

Good luck to both young men. Both well deserved and I know it’s a dream come true for both young men. Just thought I’d drop a post about the “better” college career. Ingram gets a lot of hate from Texas fans. Glad he had some success at USC his last year. Actually would’ve loved to see him play one more year for a real coach at USC. Would’ve no doubt improved his draft stock.

You are correct Ingram gets a lot of crap from the UT fan base, but I’d say he got the last laugh getting drafted while 0 players from Texas got drafted this year.  He made the right move.  😂

• Like 2

On 5/2/2022 at 5:05 PM, SmoakyBandito said:

Herman's offense was a terrible fit for Keontay.  And there were games where he averaged 6, 7, 8 yards per carry in the first half and then they never went back to him.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

I thought I saw something on Twitter about a Longview kid drafted.  @LOL

I don't think we had a Lobo drafted this year, did we @ANTI

But the dude who was drafted #1 overall, his agent is a former Lobo. That might be what you saw.  👍

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JBizzle said:

Herman's offense was a terrible fit for Keontay.  And there were games where he averaged 6, 7, 8 yards per carry in the first half and then they never went back to him.

For sure. I always thought he would be a better fit in the NFL than College. We are about to find out. Kingsbury is trading for and drafting TE. He is making his offense a little more pro-style multiple. Let’s see how Ingram does. He went to a pretty good situation. Not that many miles on his body in college. Health is going to determine a lot. If he can stay healthy I think he can stick around for a while. He is the kind of man that makes it in the NFL without being ultra talented or athletic (even though he is compared to most college athletes). KI is an adult and a hard worker. That’s most of what you see in the NFL. Hard working adults who get it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LOL said:

I don't think we had a Lobo drafted this year, did we @ANTI

But the dude who was drafted #1 overall, his agent is a former Lobo. That might be what you saw.  👍

I think the only draft eligible player that we had was Traveion Webster, haven't heard about him being picked up, via the NFL anyway.

• Like 2

On 5/4/2022 at 11:05 AM, JBizzle said:

I am a Longhorns fan and I was constantly annoyed about Herman's offense of run the QB every single play. The running backs were mostly used for run blocking.  It was stupid and a total waste of Ingram's talent.  

• Like 2

On 5/1/2022 at 4:12 PM, PantherNation2015 said:

Kalon Barnes of Silsbee also drafted at #242 by Carolina.  He played CB at Baylor.  Fun fact he also played against Ingram in the playoffs in 2017. He was pretty vocal on social media the week of the game talking about how Silsbee was going to win.  Carthage answered with nine TD’s in the first half and won 64-36.  To his credit Barnes did have 3 TD catches.

I was at that game, and Barnes could fly!

On 5/4/2022 at 11:05 AM, JBizzle said:

1000000% correct!

I just seemed to remember Ebner having really good success his final few years at BU.

I am a huge Keaontay fan and have probably been his biggest supporter/defender on SDC.

I am definitely not one of those Texas fans who give Ingram a bad wrap. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mikehoncho said:

I am a Longhorns fan and I was constantly annoyed about Herman's offense of run the QB every single play. The running backs were mostly used for run blocking.  It was stupid and a total waste of Ingram's talent.  

This is exactly right. Herman wasted and frustrated Ingram. Then Ingram had two fumbles and many UT fans turned on him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BevBrownJr said:

Not directly on topic, but it has just been announced that Keaontay’s younger brother, Kelvontay Dixon, is transferring from UT to SMU.

Seems like a good decision to me.

I agree. More room to shine and SMU has had a good record with WRs