I Bet You Right Wingers Hate This

EnjoyLife

Thanks to the the USDA 30,000 pounds of under cooked "ready to eat" chicken is being recalled. Im sure you guys consider trying to ensure a safe food supply is "government over reach" and it would be better to just let people get sick or die because that is real "freedom". Right??????

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/massive-chicken-recall-15-tons-135526613.html

Ok...I admit it...Im just having a little fun with you guys so dont get bent all out of shape 😝

2 hours ago, osup116 said:

Wonder what they did in 19th century to keep this from happening 

Well...conditions in the meat packing industry back then lead to the safe guards we have now. That is the subject of Upton Sinclairs classic novel "The Jungle" (quite possibly the worst book ever written imo)

Having worked in a bottling (buckets/kegs/drums/tubes) industry, with lab samples/approval prior to filling and repeated at end of run/fill, how something like this happened is a mystery.  Of course there are “workarounds” for those willing to risk their job.  That’s one thing with petroleum products but something else with food for consumption.  I would think that could possibly lead to Murder 2 or Manslaughter at the least if caught.

52 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

This begs the question: how many people eat "ready to eat" chicken without heating it up first? And doesn't it usually say on the bag to make sure you cook it to a safe temperature first?

I cook my own chicken 

16 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

I think it’s wise to learn if you can’t.  

It’s eye opening when you do. Uncle went to the local deer processor. Didn’t matter how many deer he took him, he’d come home with 2 plastic bags full of meat. Never questioned it. Until we started processing our own. No telling how much meat was kept/stolen/wasted over the years.

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

9 minutes ago, Stoney said:

It’s eye opening when you do. Uncle went to the local deer processor. Didn’t matter how many deer he took him, he’d come home with 2 plastic bags full of meat. Never questioned it. Until we started processing our own. No telling how much meat was kept/stolen/wasted over the years.

I started doing my own when it cost me almost $150 to get a deer processed. I used to hunt deer, ducks and doves every year but have pretty much given it up over the last 5-6 years. I do miss venison sausage and jerky and dove ka-bobs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EnjoyLife said:

I started doing my own when it cost me almost $150 to get a deer processed. I used to hunt deer, ducks and doves every year but have pretty much given it up over the last 5-6 years. I do miss venison sausage and jerky and dove ka-bobs. 

I am like you, so expensive to process nowadays. I use to kill a buck and a hog down in Junction each year, take it to the local processor and get Jalapeno and Venison Sausage links made for $60, vaccumed sealed--about $175 nowadays. 

But processing can be easy, depending on what you want from your deer. All I take from any deer is the backstrap and tender loins. The rest goes to the grinder to make hamburger meat, sausage links, or pan sausage. I mix my sausages, 70/30 with hog. For every 10 lbs of ground venison, I put in 1 pound of beef tallow/fat ground meat. While I don't eat a lot of venison burgers, the ground meat makes great tacos, sloppy joes, and anything else you use ground meat in. 

Now I'm hungry. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stoney said:

We are about to start making our own sausage.  For years we’d take our grinding meat for smoked sausage.  Having a friend that does inspections on the deer processors of East Texas, I’ve learned to not do that anymore.  Even the ones that are usda beef  butcherers are nasty and mix your meat with others that you don’t know how was taken care of.   I’m very particular about how my deer is handled.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

We are about to start making our own sausage.  For years we’d take our grinding meat for smoked sausage.  Having a friend that does inspections on the deer processors of East Texas, I’ve learned to not do that anymore.  Even the ones that are usda beef  butcherers are nasty and mix your meat with others that you don’t know how was taken care of.   I’m very particular about how my deer is handled.  

I still have nightmares about this. 

https://www.kltv.com/2020/02/08/game-wardens-still-investigating-east-texas-meat-processing-business/

2 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

We are about to start making our own sausage.   

I enjoyed making sausage. I have a grinder from Academy ($100) that has the plates for however coarse you wanted the meat and a tube to stuff the casings. Made it super easy. I just used the pre-mixed seasoning packets and it came out great...and a whole lot cheaper than having a processer do it.