Shortage of Coaches

Ijustwatch

One of the board members was telling me we are having trouble filling all our positions because no one applies. I’ve read on Twitter where these school districts are raising there starting pay to 60-70,000 for a teacher with no experience. Unless EF /Waskom’s of the world up there teacher pay it’s gonna be hard to keep a good staff 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ijustwatch said:

One of the board members was telling me we are having trouble filling all our positions because no one applies. I’ve read on Twitter where these school districts are raising there starting pay to 60-70,000 for a teacher with no experience. Unless EF /Waskom’s of the world up there teacher pay it’s gonna be hard to keep a good staff 

This districts don't have the budget to compete with higher salaries.  That's what people don't realize.

• Like 2

Why would anyone want to coach the way they are treated?  Both of my boys considered it.  I encouraged them to more stable careers.  Oldest is back at the school and it won't shock me for him to want to coach.  He's competitive and is involved.  People lack respect to others anymore.  No matter what they get paid.

• Like 5

One of my good buddies is a coach and the stuff they deal with is ridiculous at times.

Parents acting/talking crazy...crazy hours...average to low pay...politics within the admin/school board (depending on where you're at)

Parents think they can do a better job....maybe they should fill out an application.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If the "good" in the communities made it a point to be as loud and involved as the "bad" in the communities, coaches might stay. I talked to a coach the other day that made the comment "I dreaded home games". He was an assistant up in the box and couldn't walk down at halftime or after a game without getting yelled at, mouthed at, or stared at. He would rather walk down the visitor stands at an away game than "his" community's. 

Everything has been mentioned. Long hours, average pay, no stability, no support. For years people have said if you don't like it find another profession. "If your not in it for the kids" or blah blah. Well people are finding other professions. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, mrclean69 said:

If the "good" in the communities made it a point to be as loud and involved as the "bad" in the communities, coaches might stay. I talked to a coach the other day that made the comment "I dreaded home games". He was an assistant up in the box and couldn't walk down at halftime or after a game without getting yelled at, mouthed at, or stared at. He would rather walk down the visitor stands at an away game than "his" community's. 

Everything has been mentioned. Long hours, average pay, no stability, no support. For years people have said if you don't like it find another profession. "If your not in it for the kids" or blah blah. Well people are finding other professions. 

Do you feel sorry for a young coach who goes to a school that just run off a highly successful good coach. That young’un don’t stand a chance unless he buddy buddies with the right community coaches

• Like 3

Guest Tiger03lb
1 hour ago, mrclean69 said:

Don't forget coaches sons and daughters. Coach D got a lot of grief this past season cause everyone thought he was starting his son at qb cause it was his senior season but he was the best option we had and I thought he held himself (his son) well with the talk and rumors and playing to the best of his ability. 

Not to worry...the governor's "task force" that is being paid large dollars will figure out why there is a teacher shortage!!! (please note the sarcasm)

Incredibly there is only one or two people on the select committee that has any experience in teaching!! Sure could have saved a ton of money by just asking the ones that are actually teaching and coaching...maybe they didn't want to hear the truth!!!!  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Destry said:

Do you feel sorry for a young coach who goes to a school that just run off a highly successful good coach. That young’un don’t stand a chance unless he buddy buddies with the right community coaches

That's another problem! No loyalty.

The parents today are what's wrong with this country. They blame everyone else and think the world is against their angels when they get in trouble for actually doing illegal things or acting up in school and such. When I was coming up you got in trouble in school or out in public, you had it coming again when you got home

• Like 8

13 hours ago, Doomer said:

The crap coaches sons deal with is astounding.  TrueStorie

My family is living proof of that.  My oldest son hasn't spoken to me or his mom in nearly a year.  He was treated horrible and would just stay in his room while in HS.  I guess its my fault as well.

• Love 1
  • Prayers 1

4 hours ago, GNR said:

My family is living proof of that.  My oldest son hasn't spoken to me or his mom in nearly a year.  He was treated horrible and would just stay in his room while in HS.  I guess its my fault as well.

There isn't a place dark or hot enough in Hell for those who go after children. I'm not even a coach and I've got to put up with that ####. 

• Like 4

The biggest problem [even outside of schools] it that it is always another person's fault.

Maybe your kid just isn't good enough to be a starter regardless of what grade they are in?

Maybe it is your kid's fault that he is failing and not the teachers?

Maybe it is your fault that your kid has behavior issues?

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

The biggest problem [even outside of schools] it that it is always another person's fault.

Maybe your kid just isn't good enough to be a starter regardless of what grade they are in?

Maybe it is your kid's fault that he is failing and not the teachers?

Maybe it is your fault that your kid has behavior issues?

Ever since a shift that happened from it being the kids and parents responsible and Admin actually helping. To today where its all the teachers fault and Admin put more and more on teachers plate and don't protect the teachers from parents. All this causes burnout and really good people leaving the profession. 

• Like 9

It’s not just small districts struggling to fill positions, it’s a problem in bigger ones too. And not just that, we have a work problem period.  FedEx can’t get enough workers to get deliveries on time, food services have “now hiring” plastered everywhere…it’s an issue finding people who want to actually put forth effort. 

There have also been some self-inflicted wounds in the coaching community. Used to, if a coach wanted a raise they went into admin. Now some of the stipends are high enough coaches can stay in coaching longer and get their numbers up. Because of that, you now have that administrator who has 3 years of kindergarten experience working their way up the administrative ladder and it’s helped to turn education at local levels into more of a dog and pony show than education really needs to be. 

I’m glad coaches are getting paid better, but this is going to be a growing problem. One administrator I’ve heard of in Katy ISD struggled with 1st graders and was a high school campus principal. Instead of holding kids accountable it was always “what are you doing to engage those struggling students?”  How many former coaches can you hear saying that?

We’re also in a stretch of the entitled coach who has never had to grind through anything and if they’re told no they quit and go pout. We’ve also reached a level of select ball fever that coaches can do what they want job wise and take on a “stipend” of whatever they want to charge for their players. 

Realistically there are a lot of factors contributing to the educator shortage and I’m afraid that unless our mindset changes as a nation it’s going to get worse…even in Texas. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Got a friend that coaches in Georgia.  I’m told the school hires an educator/head coach for each sport, then that coach hires some from the street to fill their staff.  They typically have day jobs and get part time pay as coaches.  That’s a thought.  Never understood why you had to be an educator to be a coach.  

10 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Got a friend that coaches in Georgia.  I’m told the school hires an educator/head coach for each sport, then that coach hires some from the street to fill their staff.  They typically have day jobs and get part time pay as coaches.  That’s a thought.  Never understood why you had to be an educator to be a coach.  

accountability,the ability to have a athletic period, and the "pay" not to have to have another job. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 89Falcon said:

Most "non-educator" jobs do not allow the "free time" to coach.

Painters set their own hours, as do carpenters, and other entrepreneurial jobs.  Contractors, self owned service providers, restaurant owners, etc…. Lots of people can set their own hours.   I think your statement is not accurate.  Most corporate based jobs should be what your argument was.  

4 hours ago, Slickarick said:

accountability,the ability to have a athletic period, and the "pay" not to have to have another job. 

Accountability?  For what?  A contract employee is much easier for a school to fire than a tenured educator.  Lots of educator/coaches don’t even teach a class.  The ones that do aren’t always held accountable for poor performance in the classroom either.  

1 minute ago, DB2point0 said:

Accountability?  For what?  A contract employee is much easier for a school to fire than a tenured educator.  

That they have to abide buy all rules and laws by the state. If not an employee of the district they don't have to. Much easier to recruit if you have a job that takes you around. Have to be there day in and day out of get subtracted pay. There's several layers of accountability that ties you to coaching and teaching.  

• Like 3