Shortage of Coaches

Ijustwatch

9 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I’d like for all teachers in every school district throughout the state to be guaranteed by The State of Texas to take home (net, after taxes) no less than $50,000 per year.

In reality, teachers need to make more than that, because it’s a HUGE responsibility teachers take on every day for their entire community not just the students and their parents.

I bet you wouldn’t work for 50000 a year.

55 minutes ago, BuckNut said:

You’re 100% correct, in my defense, I said teachers should take home at least $50,000.

I didn’t intend for that to seem like I’m not for teachers earning more than that annually.

Teachers are greatly under appreciated and under valued.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, trashyhound said:

Maybe not, but many would work for that only working 180 days.

It is much more than the 180 contract days you're paid for...especially for coaches. Many coaches work for free all summer long. Not to mention the crazy hours that come with an extra $3000 for the year to coach a particular sport.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2022 at 7:03 AM, Ijustwatch said:

One of the board members was telling me we are having trouble filling all our positions because no one applies. I’ve read on Twitter where these school districts are raising there starting pay to 60-70,000 for a teacher with no experience. Unless EF /Waskom’s of the world up there teacher pay it’s gonna be hard to keep a good staff 

I've been saying this for years.  The Athletic Trainer pay in Marshall is almost exactly the same as it was when I worked there in 2009.  And I make almost $30,000 more than that at a smaller school now!

3 minutes ago, GoodOleBoy73 said:

It is much more than the 180 contract days you're paid for...especially for coaches. Many coaches work for free all summer long. Not to mention the crazy hours that come with an extra $3000 for the year to coach a particular sport.

Coaches do get stipends, days, and if done correctly, camp money to cover some of those extra hours.  I will say that we did the math on it last year and coaches essentially get paid about $7 an hour for their work in the summer 😅  You really have to love it to do it.

• Like 2

On 5/13/2022 at 3:51 PM, DB2point0 said:

I’m looking at local 2a schools within driving distance of my house.  

but here’s this ….”Texas is one of the few states to require coaches to be full-time staff of the school district, which West believes is a benefit.”

https://www.kbtx.com/2021/12/13/coaching-crisis-young-athletic-coaches-are-leaving-industry-statewide/

The Georgia model wont bring more in.  Giving people less money isnt going to get more people in.  Most of our income is derived from our teaching salary.  Coaching makes up between 10-30% of that income in most cases.  So you want to cut that and think it will help? 

I will also provide you with this: https://www.ajc.com/sports/high-school-sports-blog/shortage-of-coaches-a-growing-concern-for-ghsa/RJOCNY3D6JHGFIZCXTP475CBLI/

Same problem, in the area you stated. 

You are being obtuse on purpose. 

Now, is there something that needs to be done?  You bet.  You will get no argument from me on this one. 

On 5/15/2022 at 10:22 AM, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I’d like for all teachers in every school district throughout the state to be guaranteed by The State of Texas to take home (net, after taxes) no less than $50,000 per year.

In reality, teachers need to make more than that, because it’s a HUGE responsibility teachers take on every day for their entire community not just the students and their parents.

But, our Lt. Governor thinks educators are just glorified baby sitters......

• Like 1

On 5/13/2022 at 2:33 PM, 89Falcon said:

My statement is 100% accurate. Business demands set the schedule for business owners and only the most isolated few are able to guarantee the necessary time for all coaching endeavors.

Most people work for someone else (including most "painters" and "carpenters") and work the schedules they are told. Very few employees tell the manager "when they will work". 

I would love to see these "business owners" who can put in another 50 hours a week on top of running a "successful" business. Who are these machines and where do I get a couple? 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

I've been saying this for years.  The Athletic Trainer pay in Marshall is almost exactly the same as it was when I worked there in 2009.  And I make almost $30,000 more than that at a smaller school now!

Trainers are by far the most underpaid and under appreciated "coaches" on staff.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, playactionpass39 said:

Trainers are by far the most underpaid and under appreciated "coaches" on staff.

Jr High coaches get screwed almost as hard as athletic trainers.  The stipend is pitiful and you are generally a 3 sport coach in JH, plus have HS duties on Fridays.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, trashyhound said:

Maybe not, but many would work for that only working 180 days.

If all they worked was 180 days then I don't think they would be complaining.

How about some paid vacation like every other professional industry for the most part.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Schools get plenty of money. Just spend it on less stupid things.

almost if not all of the schools dollars are accounted for or have to be earmarked for certain things.  so much for salary, so much for students, so much for materials that sort of thing.

Just now, dogs3505 said:

almost if not all of the schools dollars are accounted for or have to be earmarked for certain things.  so much for salary, so much for students, so much for materials that sort of thing.

I am not saying that is is not accounted for. I am saying the state could decide which things to spend money on better.

On 5/15/2022 at 8:46 AM, upullinmychain said:

My wife is involved in education and the administration side of it,I hear the issues they have with procurement of educators they have,it is insane to think of young adults going into the teaching profession and not feeling called to do so,weak pay and no appreciation of the profession.When a young adult can make stupid money in the oil /gas industry and at 21 years old,,be riding around in a hundred thousand dollar vehicle and have thousands of dollars in a savings account before others finish their degree....It's mostly a pay problem 👀

On 5/15/2022 at 10:01 AM, BuckNut said:

The two main problems are 1.  You  have to be100 percent called to be a teacher in order to make it today.  There aren’t enough people called to the profession.  2. The higher ups in education take the ones who are called for granted.  

You guys beedvv be to keep in mind the thread title is “shortage of COACHES”.  Most young guys want to be a coach, not a teacher.  You have to be a teacher first, then you get to coach.  I talked to a gentleman Saturday who coaches/teaches at a 6a DFW school.  He teaches a full schedule and then is a varsity head soccer coach.  He said it was the reason he moved from a 4a to a 6a.  More money, less coaching duties.  A 2a coach has to teach all day, and coach 3 sports, some that are happening at the same time and prolly makes 70% what that guy makes.  

17 hours ago, BuckNut said:

I wouldn’t.  That’s why I chose not to become a “professional coach” as some have called it.  In my previous job I worked 6:30-3:00.  If I could’ve landed a part time after school job as an assistant coach I would have done it.  

• Roll Eyes 1

3 hours ago, GoodOleBoy73 said:

Much the reason why this topic exists.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dogs3505 said:

The Georgia model wont bring more in.  Giving people less money isnt going to get more people in.  Most of our income is derived from our teaching salary.  Coaching makes up between 10-30% of that income in most cases.  So you want to cut that and think it will help? 

I will also provide you with this: https://www.ajc.com/sports/high-school-sports-blog/shortage-of-coaches-a-growing-concern-for-ghsa/RJOCNY3D6JHGFIZCXTP475CBLI/

Same problem, in the area you stated. 

You are being obtuse on purpose. 

Now, is there something that needs to be done?  You bet.  You will get no argument from me on this one. 

Hiring contract coaches in other states has worked.  That can’t be denied.  I’m not being obtuse.  I offered a solution that other states have employed.  

2 hours ago, playactionpass39 said:

I would love to see these "business owners" who can put in another 50 hours a week on top of running a "successful" business. Who are these machines and where do I get a couple? 

Show me how you get 50 hours of practice in after school is over.  That is against UIL rules anyway.  If you’d read what I said, they hire head coaches for each sport, who are educators, then fill their staffs with the contract coaches who come in after school during season.  The educator coaches handle things during school.  Please, I’ll be waiting for your math.  

16 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

I am not saying that is is not accounted for. I am saying the state could decide which things to spend money on better.

I'm the opposite, local control of it would be beneficial.  I understand why its not but those in Austin dont seem to understand what is needed in Lubbock and other places.  They dont know how do do much of anything right if were all being honest here.

10 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Hiring contract coaches in other states has worked.  That can’t be denied.  I’m not being obtuse.  I offered a solution that other states have employed.  

What is "worked"? Do you mean "exists"? If so, you are correct that "contract coaches exist" in other states. According to the article, your reference state of Georgia may not be "working" as well as you claim. 

I guess you can say by your definition, that the system in Texas "works" now? It certainly "exists". The question for most is "what type of product do you want in Texas"? If the answer is: "a watered down part time sports arena", we could certainly pull resources and hire "part-time coaches". Similar to what is "working" in other states.

12 minutes ago, 89Falcon said:

What is "worked"? Do you mean "exists"? If so, you are correct that "contract coaches exist" in other states. According to the article, your reference state of Georgia may not be "working" as well as you claim. 

I guess you can say by your definition, that the system in Texas "works" now? It certainly "exists". The question for most is "what type of product do you want in Texas"? If the answer is: "a watered down part time sports arena", we could certainly pull resources and hire "part-time coaches". Similar to what is "working" in other states.

What business do you own, coach?

offer up a solution instead of attacking others.

18 minutes ago, dogs3505 said:

I'm the opposite, local control of it would be beneficial.  I understand why its not but those in Austin dont seem to understand what is needed in Lubbock and other places.  They dont know how do do much of anything right if were all being honest here.

I agree, local boards should decide how the school operates.  Not state politicians.  

• Like 1