Shortage of Coaches

Ijustwatch

49 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Show me how you get 50 hours of practice in after school is over.  That is against UIL rules anyway.  If you’d read what I said, they hire head coaches for each sport, who are educators, then fill their staffs with the contract coaches who come in after school during season.  The educator coaches handle things during school.  Please, I’ll be waiting for your math.  

I am no longer a coach but did it for many years--I kept a log of my hours for many years. Coaches routinely put in anywhere from 40-60 hours per week outside of the teaching day depending on travel time for that weeks game and how long you you have to game plan and study film on the weekend

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Start with the 90 million we spend on STAAR Testing.

lets not even get started on that.  Why it costs 90 million to test kids is unreal.  This state will never get rid of standardized testing though, we started it and we will stick with it.

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

What business do you own, coach?

offer up a solution instead of attacking others.

Where is the "attack"? When you say "attack", do you mean "disagree"? "Offer up a solution"? Posting on a message board has nothing to do with "offering up a solution". This is not a "focus group". 

2 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Show me how you get 50 hours of practice in after school is over.  That is against UIL rules anyway.  If you’d read what I said, they hire head coaches for each sport, who are educators, then fill their staffs with the contract coaches who come in after school during season.  The educator coaches handle things during school.  Please, I’ll be waiting for your math.  

8  hours of after school  practice per UIL

3 hours after practice to supervise locker rooms

3 hours after locker rooms are clear for offense/defensive meetings and laundry duty

2-3 hours on Wednesday painting the game field and/or practice field

3 - 5 hours on Thursdays for Sub-Varsity games

8 hours on Friday Nights for travel, games and locker room clean up

7-8 hours on Saturday for film, laundry and meetings

6 hours on Sunday for game planning, practice preparation

8-10 hours film study outside the school day

It adds up real quick.

If you don't think football coaches work 50 hours a week outside the school day then you are sadly mistaken.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, darktower said:

I am no longer a coach but did it for many years--I kept a log of my hours for many years. Coaches routinely put in anywhere from 40-60 hours per week outside of the teaching day depending on travel time for that weeks game and how long you you have to game plan and study film on the weekend

I broke it down for him. He doesn't have a clue what we do.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, darktower said:

You get out at 3:30 each day.  Working til midnight Monday through Friday is 40 hours.  10 hours on Saturday and 10 on Sunday gets you to 60.  I’m calling BS.

• Stinks 2

2 hours ago, playactionpass39 said:

3 hours after locker rooms are clear for offense/defensive meetings and laundry duty

It adds up real quick.

If you don't think football coaches work 50 hours a week outside the school day then you are sadly mistaken.

👍🏻

3 hours ago, 89Falcon said:

Where is the "attack"? When you say "attack", do you mean "disagree"? "Offer up a solution"? Posting on a message board has nothing to do with "offering up a solution". This is not a "focus group". 

Then why are we discussing a shortage on a message board?  It’s called discussion.  It just seems like some of you don’t like people offering ideas.  

what business do you own?  You still haven’t answered the question?  You said I didn’t have a clue, how do you know how businesses operate if you’re coaching 147.8 hours a week?

5 hours ago, playactionpass39 said:

It adds up real quick.

Great post and pretty dang accurate 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Then why are we discussing a shortage on a message board?  It’s called discussion.  It just seems like some of you don’t like people offering ideas.  

what business do you own?  You still haven’t answered the question?  You said I didn’t have a clue, how do you know how businesses operate if you’re coaching 147.8 hours a week?

I have been "discussing". I am under no obligation to do anything on a message board other than "discuss". Where did I say you "dont have a clue"? I have pointed out specific points and dont need to qualify myself by providing my resume. I will tell you that it includes many years in Sr Level management in addition to years coaching which probably provides me with a unique perspective in the industry. 

My objective is to correct fallacy when people make statements like "business owners can set their own schedule" and "carpenters and painters can work when they want".  

18 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

It's not 50 hours of practice. It's 50 hours of practice / film / weights / monitoring kids as they get in and out of the locker room / laundry / preparation meetings for practice / mentoring kids / picking kids up / taking kids home / etc.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, playactionpass39 said:

It adds up real quick.

I can give you $3000 a year and 2 parents screaming at you on a Thursday and 5 on a Friday. Best offer.

I had a 3 sport coach divide his time and stipend up, it was somewhere along the $1/hr mark.

This is somewhat getting better. A turf field cuts out 5 hours of work prepping the game field. I know some coaches that have said that alone will keep them from working in certain districts. Tech allows for film and planning to be done at home more and more. Some old school coaches still want to sit at the field house together forever. Even then its a lot of hours and work from home is still work.   

18 hours ago, playactionpass39 said:

It adds up real quick.

3 hours of supervising lockerrooms? 3 hours daily for meetings and laundry? 8 hours on saturday for film? 6 hours on sunday for film? There's no time for the other 8-10 other hours of extra film study. That's a brutal schedule, and not an efficient one. Someone needs to re-evaluate who they work for and get out of there. It's done way better at places that do it right. For example... if you finalize the plan Sunday, why is there a need to meet for 3 hours daily discussing strategy? It either worked in practice, or it didn't. Tweak it, move on. Does not take 3 hours. Why does it take 3 hours for kids to leave the lockerroom?

32 minutes ago, KellyLeak said:

3 hours of supervising lockerrooms? 3 hours daily for meetings and laundry? 8 hours on saturday for film? 6 hours on sunday for film? There's no time for the other 8-10 other hours of extra film study. That's a brutal schedule, and not an efficient one. Someone needs to re-evaluate who they work for and get out of there. It's done way better at places that do it right. For example... if you finalize the plan Sunday, why is there a need to meet for 3 hours daily discussing strategy? It either worked in practice, or it didn't. Tweak it, move on. Does not take 3 hours. Why does it take 3 hours for kids to leave the lockerroom?

Reading comprehension is not your strong suit. Those are weekly totals. But, maybe I didn't do a good job in my explanation.  An hour a day in locker room supervision (3 days of practice). An hour a day of meetings,  watching practice film, evaluating personnel and adjustments. And hour a day minimum watching film on your own. If your not putting in the work then someone else is.

Saturdays, bring kids in at 9 for an hour of lift and recovery so coaches have to be there by8 or 8:30, 10-12 film from Friday's game. Then laundry, cleaning locker rooms from the game, putting up uniforms, and 2 hours of watching opponents film, so yes Saturday turns into a 7-8 hour day.

12 hours ago, 89Falcon said:

I have been "discussing". I am under no obligation to do anything on a message board other than "discuss". Where did I say you "dont have a clue"? I have pointed out specific points and dont need to qualify myself by providing my resume. I will tell you that it includes many years in Sr Level management in addition to years coaching which probably provides me with a unique perspective in the industry. 

My objective is to correct fallacy when people make statements like "business owners can set their own schedule" and "carpenters and painters can work when they want".  

So your business is carpentry and painting?  I know several (in my family) that set their own schedules.  Most of them are done by 3pm and have 8 hours in.  

you have been discussing, but also dismissing other discussion because you think you’re right.  Some of the time you would be, some you wouldn’t be.  Could my idea work?  Sure!  In every situation?  Probably not.  However each situation is unique just like every business owner is unique.  Not every business owner burns it at both ends.  

2 hours ago, GoodOleBoy73 said:

It's not 50 hours of practice. It's 50 hours of practice / film / weights / monitoring kids as they get in and out of the locker room / laundry / preparation meetings for practice / mentoring kids / picking kids up / taking kids home / etc.

3:30 to midnight on Monday through Friday gets you to 40 hours after school.  

17 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

So your business is carpentry and painting?  I know several (in my family) that set their own schedules.  Most of them are done by 3pm and have 8 hours in.  

you have been discussing, but also dismissing other discussion because you think you’re right.  Some of the time you would be, some you wouldn’t be.  Could my idea work?  Sure!  In every situation?  Probably not.  However each situation is unique just like every business owner is unique.  Not every business owner burns it at both ends.  

I did not state my business and I know I am right because I have seen it played out over two decades in a wide range industry dealings. If you know "carpenters and painters" who work "bankers hours" and are "done by 3pm" they are not financially successful and likely living a transient lifestyle. 

I said "there is a very small and elite group of business owners that are able to allocate and guarantee enough time for coaching" and "not nearly enough to staff varsity sports in Texas". 

I would like to ask just one question. Do you think the overall coaching would improve, stay the same or get worse if we went to what they do in some other states like Georgia and Colorado . Right now Texas High School Coaches have a very good reputation among the College Coaching Profession. 

19 minutes ago, 514 said:

I would like to ask just one question. Do you think the overall coaching would improve, stay the same or get worse if we went to what they do in some other states like Georgia and Colorado . Right now Texas High School Coaches have a very good reputation among the College Coaching Profession. 

There is a reason that College coaches say that Texas athletes are more polished and college ready than any other players and it's not just because of the talent level. Coaching has a whole lot to do with it.

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

3:30 to midnight on Monday through Friday gets you to 40 hours after school.  

I will break it down for you like this.

Monday and Tuesday - 14 hours 

In the locker room at 3:45, on the field at 4, practice starts at 4:15, off the field at 7:15. Locker room empty and all kids left the premises b by 7:45. Put in laundry and watch practice film, flip laundry, discuss personnel and scheme and plan tomorrows practice, out of the field house by 8:45.  Me personally, I go home and take care of what is left to do at home after my wife has taken care of the majority of the household chores. After everyone is in bed, I watch at least another hour of two of film.

Wednesday - 7 hours

In the locker room at 3:45, on the field at 4, practice starts at 4:15, off the field at 6:15. Locker room empty and all kids left the premises b by 6:45. Put in laundry and paint the game field. Watch practice film, flip laundry, discuss personnel and scheme. Out oft he field house at 8:45.  Me personally, I go home and take care of what is left to do at home after my wife has taken care of the majority of the household chores. After everyone is in bed, I watch at least another hour of two of film.

Thursday - Home 5 hours - Road - 6-7

Home game, in the locker room at 3:45 out of the field house after game, locker room supervision, laundry by 8:45. Road game add a minimum of an hour sometimes 2.

Friday -  9 hours - 3:45 - 1 am - after inputting film and data.

Saturday -  8-3 = 7 hours + an  hour or 2 watching film at home

Sunday - 12-6 = 6 hours + an hour or two watching film at home

So an minimum of 50 hours spent outside the regular school day in very normal for me.

Now you can remove an hour or 2 hours a day for some coaches, but you are still talking about an extra 40 hours a week on top of working a 40 hour a week job. Not many individuals going to sign up for that for a $3,000 a year stipend.

• Like 5