Shortage of Coaches

Ijustwatch

2 hours ago, playactionpass39 said:

Reading comprehension is not your strong suit. Those are weekly totals. But, maybe I didn't do a good job in my explanation.  An hour a day in locker room supervision (3 days of practice). An hour a day of meetings,  watching practice film, evaluating personnel and adjustments. And hour a day minimum watching film on your own. If your not putting in the work then someone else is.

Saturdays, bring kids in at 9 for an hour of lift and recovery so coaches have to be there by8 or 8:30, 10-12 film from Friday's game. Then laundry, cleaning locker rooms from the game, putting up uniforms, and 2 hours of watching opponents film, so yes Saturday turns into a 7-8 hour day.

So every coach does every job? Come on guy, not a rook here. While coaches are lifting players, others are doing laundry. While coaches are putting up uniforms, coordinators and lead position guys can break down opponent film. 

47 minutes ago, playactionpass39 said:

I will break it down for you like this.

Monday and Tuesday - 14 hours 

In the locker room at 3:45, on the field at 4, practice starts at 4:15, off the field at 7:15. Locker room empty and all kids left the premises b by 7:45. Put in laundry and watch practice film, flip laundry, discuss personnel and scheme and plan tomorrows practice, out of the field house by 8:45.  Me personally, I go home and take care of what is left to do at home after my wife has taken care of the majority of the household chores. After everyone is in bed, I watch at least another hour of two of film.

Wednesday - 7 hours

In the locker room at 3:45, on the field at 4, practice starts at 4:15, off the field at 6:15. Locker room empty and all kids left the premises b by 6:45. Put in laundry and paint the game field. Watch practice film, flip laundry, discuss personnel and scheme. Out oft he field house at 8:45.  Me personally, I go home and take care of what is left to do at home after my wife has taken care of the majority of the household chores. After everyone is in bed, I watch at least another hour of two of film.

Thursday - Home 5 hours - Road - 6-7

Home game, in the locker room at 3:45 out of the field house after game, locker room supervision, laundry by 8:45. Road game add a minimum of an hour sometimes 2.

Friday -  9 hours - 3:45 - 1 am - after inputting film and data.

Saturday -  8-3 = 7 hours + an  hour or 2 watching film at home

Sunday - 12-6 = 6 hours + an hour or two watching film at home

So an minimum of 50 hours spent outside the regular school day in very normal for me.

Now you can remove an hour or 2 hours a day for some coaches, but you are still talking about an extra 40 hours a week on top of working a 40 hour a week job. Not many individuals going to sign up for that for a $3,000 a year stipend.

This is a brutal schedule. Whoever is leading and planning this charge, needs to re-evaluate. It can be done better.

• Thumbs Down 2

I think it would depend on the size of your staff.  5-8 football coaches on staff to run 7-12 football is all hands on deck.  As for why we work 16-20 hours on Saturday/Sunday is up the the head FB coach.  Going 4 rounds deep to winning a state championship every year is worth it to me.  But thats just me.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, KellyLeak said:

This is a brutal schedule. Whoever is leading and planning this charge, needs to re-evaluate. It can be done better.

This is a pretty standard schedule. You can cut some time out in certain areas. Rotate laundry duty, locker room duty. More people are going to turf fields so might not have to paint. (I actually know of some coaches that a turf field is a must in looking for jobs for the extra time alone.) Maybe shave some time if your coordinators are making assistants do all the grunt work of laundry by themselves. While time saving that never leads to a good staff cohesion, and most small schools don't have "lead assistants". They just do everything. 

Play action has explained a ton but I'll dive into the standard weekend schedule.

Friday: Spot on by Play action. Get the kids home. Get them out. Get laundry soaked and started. Film has to upload, clips have to be cut together. Film part is a 1 person job but its probably ready to go by midnight to 1. 

Saturday: Previous games film has to be graded and marked up. If kids are coming in on Saturday to watch it, that has to be done before. So typically sometime between 1AM and 9AM the film is ready to go. Approximately a 2 hour process. Maybe more maybe less depending on position and how the night went. So stay up until 3 or get to work 6 hours later. Lift, recovery run, and go over film with players gone between 11-12. From 12-2 its time to look at the next opponent. Data has to be put in to the clips and a scouting report made. Reports are ran film is studied. Go home find some time to watch film on your own to be ready to make a game plan the next day. 

Sunday: Meet after church and lunch, typically 2. Discuss what is being seen in the opponent. Formulate game plan. Does anything need to be changed? Anything new installed? How will they adjust to us how do we have to adjust to them? By 3 hopefully your plan is set now practice plan for the week. Drills, adjustments, plays. Draw up cards for your scout team to get aligned right. All of the offenses run plays. All of their pass plays.  All of the defenses alignments. Final scouting report ready to be sent to the kids on Sunday or Monday. Leave when the jobs done.

This is about as standard as it gets. More staffs are working from home on Saturday at the expense of not bringing the kids up. Just like before, you can maybe shave a couple hours off but not much. Keep in mind this is about as efficient as it gets for an average size staff. Smaller staffs will pull more weight. 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, GNR said:

I think it would depend on the size of your staff.  5-8 football coaches on staff to run 7-12 football is all hands on deck.  As for why we work 16-20 hours on Saturday/Sunday is up the the head FB coach.  Going 4 rounds deep to winning a state championship every year is worth it to me.  But thats just me.

I know plenty small school staffs that make perennial runs that might work 10 hours on the weekends. All about splitting up jobs and handling your own business. Also, for you educators that are posting during school hours, how are you justified in calling "teaching" a 40 hr work week when you're posting on smoaky? Quit crying about the job. 

Also, stop explaining the job to me. It's not something I don't know about.

Furthermore, I agree on the topic. Seems like just hiring a decent human being is a hard job, much less a good coach and someone that handles themselves professionally in the classroom. I'm not sure where this profession is heading, but if admin doesn't start standing up to kids and parents, the middle man(teachers and coaches), will become non existent. If high school sports are left up to the parents to run, it'll be a disaster. Actually, it'll be exactly like little league, peewee, and little dribblers. So if you want parents helping out, be careful what you wish for. Not in any remote case would I be in favor of a parent helping, unless they played professionally. 

What really gets under my skin is the group of high school coaches that think because they are high school coaches, they immediately know more than everyone else. Anyone can be a high school coach guys. Every person in the world is a bachelor's degree and iTeach Texas away from doing it. Head coach? Prooooooobably not. Successful coach? Proooooooooobably not. Be humble, the world needs more of it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

2 hours ago, playactionpass39 said:

I will break it down for you like this.

Monday and Tuesday - 14 hours 

In the locker room at 3:45, on the field at 4, practice starts at 4:15, off the field at 7:15. Locker room empty and all kids left the premises b by 7:45. Put in laundry and watch practice film, flip laundry, discuss personnel and scheme and plan tomorrows practice, out of the field house by 8:45.  Me personally, I go home and take care of what is left to do at home after my wife has taken care of the majority of the household chores. After everyone is in bed, I watch at least another hour of two of film.

Wednesday - 7 hours

In the locker room at 3:45, on the field at 4, practice starts at 4:15, off the field at 6:15. Locker room empty and all kids left the premises b by 6:45. Put in laundry and paint the game field. Watch practice film, flip laundry, discuss personnel and scheme. Out oft he field house at 8:45.  Me personally, I go home and take care of what is left to do at home after my wife has taken care of the majority of the household chores. After everyone is in bed, I watch at least another hour of two of film.

Thursday - Home 5 hours - Road - 6-7

Home game, in the locker room at 3:45 out of the field house after game, locker room supervision, laundry by 8:45. Road game add a minimum of an hour sometimes 2.

Friday -  9 hours - 3:45 - 1 am - after inputting film and data.

Saturday -  8-3 = 7 hours + an  hour or 2 watching film at home

Sunday - 12-6 = 6 hours + an hour or two watching film at home

So an minimum of 50 hours spent outside the regular school day in very normal for me.

Now you can remove an hour or 2 hours a day for some coaches, but you are still talking about an extra 40 hours a week on top of working a 40 hour a week job. Not many individuals going to sign up for that for a $3,000 a year stipend.

The guy said 40-60 hours after school duties were complete.  That’s 80-100 hours a week.  That’s what I called BS.  

im out.  You folks ain’t listening

2 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

im out.  You folks ain’t listening

4 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

So you’re working til midnight every weekday?  And 10 hours on Saturday and Sunday???  

Thought it was too good to be true.....

Anyway, youve never coached so you have absolutely ZERO idea of what coaches do.......

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

Someone who has never coached will never understand.......

Evidently ones getting into the profession aren’t liking it, thus the shortage of coaches.  Funny that when you show the math of what an extra 60 hours looks like (8 hours Extra M-F and 10 on Sat/Sun) that none agree they’re staying til midnight Monday through Friday.  

1 minute ago, DB2point0 said:

Evidently ones getting into the profession aren’t liking it, thus the shortage of coaches.  Funny that when you show the math of what an extra 60 hours looks like (8 hours Extra M-F and 10 on Sat/Sun) that none agree they’re staying til midnight Monday through Friday.  

Get back to us after you've coached for a few years........until then anything you have to say is irrelevant.......

8 minutes ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

Get back to us after you've coached for a few years........until then anything you have to say is irrelevant.......

I know lots of coaches personally.  You don’t have to do something yourself to understand it

On 5/16/2022 at 3:41 PM, playactionpass39 said:

8  hours of after school  practice per UIL

3 hours after practice to supervise locker rooms

3 hours after locker rooms are clear for offense/defensive meetings and laundry duty

2-3 hours on Wednesday painting the game field and/or practice field

3 - 5 hours on Thursdays for Sub-Varsity games

8 hours on Friday Nights for travel, games and locker room clean up

7-8 hours on Saturday for film, laundry and meetings

6 hours on Sunday for game planning, practice preparation

8-10 hours film study outside the school day

It adds up real quick.

If you don't think football coaches work 50 hours a week outside the school day then you are sadly mistaken.

Some of your HC’s don’t manage time or people well 😂. Probably been divorced a time or 2 also

5 hours ago, playactionpass39 said:

Dude, that's what we work, 80-100 aa week during season.

I averaged 80-85 hours a week at Marshall… seriously considered quitting the profession.  Glad I got out of that mess.  Finally found a spot where we average about 60-65 hours a week during the season.  

but as the athletic trainer, you learn to appreciate the small things.  Our 60 hour weeks aren’t done until baseball is done.  So baseball coaches, if you ever wonder why your AT hates you, it’s not personal, you are just the last sport we are waiting on before summer can begin

• LOL! 1
  • Wow 1

55 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Some of your HC’s don’t manage time or people well 😂. Probably been divorced a time or 2 also

You have to do what you have to do to get the job done.  HC is actually a pretty good guy, we don't meet just to meet and he does as much of the grunt work as anybody. The work has to get done. No lucky enough to have a full time maintenance guy assigned to the field house to do the laundry or field maintenance people to paint the field. 

8 hours ago, playactionpass39 said:

You have to do what you have to do to get the job done.  HC is actually a pretty good guy, we don't meet just to meet and he does as much of the grunt work as anybody. The work has to get done. No lucky enough to have a full time maintenance guy assigned to the field house to do the laundry or field maintenance people to paint the field. 

That last part sucks bc that takes forever 

Guest Tiger03lb
16 hours ago, KellyLeak said:

I know plenty small school staffs that make perennial runs that might work 10 hours on the weekends. All about splitting up jobs and handling your own business. Also, for you educators that are posting during school hours, how are you justified in calling "teaching" a 40 hr work week when you're posting on smoaky? Quit crying about the job. 

Also, stop explaining the job to me. It's not something I don't know about.

Furthermore, I agree on the topic. Seems like just hiring a decent human being is a hard job, much less a good coach and someone that handles themselves professionally in the classroom. I'm not sure where this profession is heading, but if admin doesn't start standing up to kids and parents, the middle man(teachers and coaches), will become non existent. If high school sports are left up to the parents to run, it'll be a disaster. Actually, it'll be exactly like little league, peewee, and little dribblers. So if you want parents helping out, be careful what you wish for. Not in any remote case would I be in favor of a parent helping, unless they played professionally. 

What really gets under my skin is the group of high school coaches that think because they are high school coaches, they immediately know more than everyone else. Anyone can be a high school coach guys. Every person in the world is a bachelor's degree and iTeach Texas away from doing it. Head coach? Prooooooobably not. Successful coach? Proooooooooobably not. Be humble, the world needs more of it.

Maybe they are on break. Maybe they can multi task.  Maybe it's at the end of the school year. Maybe they have the day off. Maybe they have the rest of the school year off. Maybe think of everything before posting. This is an forum, correct? 

10 hours ago, playactionpass39 said:

I miss painting fields because of the pride you had at the end, but doing it, sucks.