Shortage of Coaches

Ijustwatch

1 hour ago, 514 said:

I understand what you are saying and honestly think you were just trying to come out with a suggesting of how to help out a problem. In a very around about way what people are trying to say is that in the long run if we go to what a lot of other states are doing, before long athletics will not be coached by professionals as we know it. I realize the Head Coach as you said is a educator and coach but where will the next Head Coaches come from if all the other coaches work in another profession. Sooner or later in years to come after all the Head Coaches that were educators retire there is going to be a problem. You learn how to be a head coach by putting in your time and lots of clinics and education. It may ended up coming to this and if it does we may end up having the same problems every little league system in America has. I am not going to list all of them. 

Thank you for understanding and not just dismissing.  

16 minutes ago, Footballalltheway said:

Why is that not true?  Being good at it well that’s a different story.  At this point schools are just looking for warm bodies.  You can be crappy coach but still have a positive impact on a kids life if you love on em.  If winning is your number one priority then go coach college or pro.   More importantly if your super’s #1 priority is your record find a different place to coach. 

"If winning is your number one priority then go college or pro"? 

"You can be a crappy coach but still have a positive impact on kids if you love on em"? 

Absolute brilliant statement as there is a high demand for crappy coaches. Always hear fans in the stands say how happy they are to watch their teams lose and the coaches "love on the kids". The only fans who want to watch winning are in "college or pro". 

• Thanks 1
  • LOL! 1

26 minutes ago, Footballalltheway said:

Why is that not true?  Being good at it well that’s a different story.  At this point schools are just looking for warm bodies.  You can be crappy coach but still have a positive impact on a kids life if you love on em.  If winning is your number one priority then go coach college or pro.   More importantly if your super’s #1 priority is your record find a different place to coach. 

Any good coach will tell you the first thing is to build relationships and care about kids. Xs and Os second. Your split between what you call a crappy coach and a good coach is a major disconnect. It shows you think coaches are focused on the X's and O's and wins and losses.  Coaches prioritize relationships, communities don't. Look no further than the Childress thread. At the end of the day good coaches are fired over wins and losses. A sad reality for young coaches to look forward to.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, mrclean69 said:

Any good coach will tell you the first thing is to build relationships and care about kids. Xs and Os second. Your split between what you call a crappy coach and a good coach is a major disconnect. It shows you think coaches are focused on the X's and O's and wins and losses.  Coaches prioritize relationships, communities don't. Look no further than the Childress thread. At the end of the day good coaches are fired over wins and losses. A sad reality for young coaches to look forward to.

All coaches fall into two categories.

1. Coaches who have been fired

2. Coaches who will be fired someday.

• Like 6

On 5/19/2022 at 10:25 AM, 89Falcon said:

"If winning is your number one priority then go college or pro"? 

"You can be a crappy coach but still have a positive impact on kids if you love on em"? 

Absolute brilliant statement as there is a high demand for crappy coaches. Always hear fans in the stands say how happy they are to watch their teams lose and the coaches "love on the kids". The only fans who want to watch winning are in "college or pro". 

Edited by CrankyOldMan
  • Thumbs Down 1
  • Stinks 1

1 hour ago, Footballalltheway said:

What's the point in playing if you aren't focused on winning?

Winning may not be the only thing, but it sure as heck beats losing.

It is called competition for a reason, you have a winner and a loser, I would much rather be the winner.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Footballalltheway said:

And, if you aren't winning to some degree or at least being competitive then your opportunities to impact lives go way down, because kids don't want to play for coaches who lose, and coaches who lose repeatedly don't keep jobs for very long.

Me personally, I'm a "pat a kid on the back 100 times" for every time I have to "chew" on them type of coach. But there is ZERO doubt everyday that the sole reason we practice is to get better, so when we compete in the "arena" that we have a chance to win.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Footballalltheway said:

Agreed.  What do you think the other things are?

Obviously, IMO, if you aren't teaching them work ethic, responsibility, accountability and unselfishness then you are doing something wrong.

But, teaching kids that losing is ok is just plain wrong. You have to teach kids it's not about what happens to you, it is all about the way you respond. And the way to respond to any adversity is to pick yourself up and go back to work and compete your tail off and come out victorious. That is the essence of athletics. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Footballalltheway said:

So you think winning and treating kids with respect is mutually exclusive?

I went back and reviewed your posts in this thread calling other posters ignorant, how you “know I’m right”, etc.  How you talk to people speaks volumes.  I already know how you would answer the above question so no need to reply.  

"Calling other posters ignorant", What does "ignorant" mean? "Unknowledgeable"? Guilty as charged. 

Where did I say "winning and treating kids with respect is mutually exclusive"? You said "crappy coaches have a positive impact on players as long as they love on em" and that "coaches who want to win should go to college or pro". 

"Your" statement separated coaches who want to "win" from coaches who "love on em". Who exactly, in the posts defined criterion for mutual exclusion?  

• Like 3

If a coach loves kids there is no way he is a crappy coach.  If you love on kids you will win a lot of games.  Even if you don’t win a lot of games the thing of utmost importance these days is that kids feel loved.  Loving kids ought to be priority number 1.  The reason we are at a shortage of coaches is not enough people want to love kids.  We are in the me generation not the love God, love others generation.  

• Like 1

It's too bad all these coaches didn't go into other lines of work where we all love our jobs and only work 40 hours a week🤪.

In all seriousness, it's a hard enough job to be a teacher, especially one who cares about kids and their education.  Add to that all that comes with coaching sports, and it's gotta be tough.  But, working for the government is always going to be underpaid and underappreciated (Unless you are in congress or Dr Fauci).  We have allowed them to screw it all up.  We pay plenty of tax dollars to pay our educators good wages, but we blow it all on stupid government required BS.

Best of luck coaches....

• Like 5
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, BuckNut said:

If a coach loves kids there is no way he is a crappy coach.  If you love on kids you will win a lot of games.  Even if you don’t win a lot of games the thing of utmost importance these days is that kids feel loved.  Loving kids ought to be priority number 1.  The reason we are at a shortage of coaches is not enough people want to love kids.  We are in the me generation not the love God, love others generation.  

I would guess lack of pay is a big reason for a coaching shortage....but that's just me

On 5/19/2022 at 11:28 AM, playactionpass39 said:

What's the point in playing if you aren't focused on winning?

Winning may not be the only thing, but it sure as heck beats losing.

It is called competition for a reason, you have a winner and a loser, I would much rather be the winner.

“Winning isn’t everything, but it beats the hell out of anything that comes in second.” Bear Bryant 

Several nice guy coaches that love on the kids get fired every year. 

• Like 4

On 5/19/2022 at 10:53 PM, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I disagree. 

Me too. That's the old timers way of thinking. It doesn't have to be like that. Especially with strong leadership at the top with excellent community relations. Everyone working in the same direction for the same goal.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, KellyLeak said:

Me too. That's the old timers way of thinking. It doesn't have to be like that. Especially with strong leadership at the top with excellent community relations. Everyone working in the same direction for the same goal.

What universe did you wake up in this morning??? :rofl:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

What universe did you wake up in this morning??? :rofl:

I don't understand why it has to be coach/teachers vs the community...? Everyone is working for the same goal. There are communities out there that have this figured out. It takes a group of good people that are louder than the ones that want to be negative. Relationships have to be built. I've seen it happen. 

1 hour ago, KellyLeak said:

I don't understand why it has to be coach/teachers vs the community...? Everyone is working for the same goal. There are communities out there that have this figured out. It takes a group of good people that are louder than the ones that want to be negative. Relationships have to be built. I've seen it happen. 

Can you give some examples of these communities? Can you name 5 towns that have not made deep runs in the playoffs are not firing coaches for it? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KellyLeak said:

No they aren’t. 

Parents care about what is best for their kid. Coaches have to do what is best for the program.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

18 hours ago, mrclean69 said:

Can you give some examples of these communities? Can you name 5 towns that have not made deep runs in the playoffs are not firing coaches for it? 

That have NOT? They aren't on the same page if they're continuously losing. I don't have insider knowledge of these towns, but on the outside, they seem to have it figured out.

Crawford, Franklin, Carthage, Malakoff, Grandview, Pottsboro, Muenster, Blanco, Buna... shall I  keep going?

12 hours ago, Valhalla said:

No they aren’t. 

Parents care about what is best for their kid. Coaches have to do what is best for the program.

100% agree, no beef with that post. But, there are parents and there are communities that work together. And I believe with enough hard work, a community can go from "not a great place to be," to a winner with a bunch of the same drive and focus channeled into 1 goal. It is possible, and it does happen. See my other post. 

18 minutes ago, KellyLeak said:

That have NOT? They aren't on the same page if they're continuously losing. I don't have insider knowledge of these towns, but on the outside, they seem to have it figured out.

Crawford, Franklin, Carthage, Malakoff, Grandview, Pottsboro, Muenster, Blanco, Buna... shall I  keep going?

"Buna" has it "figured out"? 

• LOL! 1