Shortage of Coaches

Ijustwatch

Listen, I've been in this profession and setting for 15 years... and I know these few things for sure:

1. Winning without any super sketchy ethical concerns will keep you in a job for a very long time.  Even if you are a complete ####.

2. A new coach is usually given 2 years to show positive change.  If it is a complete #### show, you are done by the end of that 2nd season and in some areas, after the 1st, including all of your staff.

3. You will get some love for community involvement, positive reinforcement, changing toxic culture etc, and will likely get plenty of other chances to coach again... but this without wins will land you back on the job market pretty quick.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, 89Falcon said:

"Buna" has it "figured out"? 

Oh they don't have success in the big 3 sports? So out of 9 schools, you pick off 1 of them? If there isn't any truth in what I'm typing, why only focus on "Buna?"  Quotations go after the punctuation marks...

Just now, KellyLeak said:

Oh they don't have success in the big 3 sports? So out of 9 schools, you pick off 1 of them? If there isn't any truth in what I'm typing, why only focus on "Buna?"  Quotations go after the punctuation marks...

Focus on whatever you want. Never heard "Buna" and "figured it out" in the same sentence. 

42 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Listen, I've been in this profession and setting for 15 years... and I know these few things for sure:

1. Winning without any super sketchy ethical concerns will keep you in a job for a very long time.  Even if you are a complete ####.

2. A new coach is usually given 2 years to show positive change.  If it is a complete #### show, you are done by the end of that 2nd season and in some areas, after the 1st, including all of your staff.

3. You will get some love for community involvement, positive reinforcement, changing toxic culture etc, and will likely get plenty of other chances to coach again... but this without wins will land you back on the job market pretty quick.

I agree with all of that. But trying to convince these old geezers that it can be changed, turned around, and made a good environment is next to impossible. 

Just now, 89Falcon said:

Focus on whatever you want. Never heard "Buna" and "figured it out" in the same sentence. 

Football is probably their worst sport I guess, but they make the playoffs 4 out of every 5 years. They're always in 2nd and 3rd round of basketball playoffs and they're usually really salty in baseball. So.... go practice your dirty bird or something. Quit being pissed at the world.

Just now, KellyLeak said:

Football is probably their worst sport I guess, but they make the playoffs 4 out of every 5 years. They're always in 2nd and 3rd round of basketball playoffs and they're usually really salty in baseball. So.... go practice your dirty bird or something. Quit being pissed at the world.

Are you speaking in riddles? You drew quite a few conclusions and lodged quite few assumptions. 

A conclusion you did not draw is that "when a program is losing, there is no figuring it out".  Another one is this: "when a program wins, superficial outsiders perceive that they have everything figured out".  

3 hours ago, KellyLeak said:

That have NOT? They aren't on the same page if they're continuously losing. I don't have insider knowledge of these towns, but on the outside, they seem to have it figured out.

Crawford, Franklin, Carthage, Malakoff, Grandview, Pottsboro, Muenster, Blanco, Buna... shall I  keep going?

We can not argue both that a good coach invests in kids and the community over wins, and state wins is what shows a place has it "figured out". That's the mindset that leads to coaches being fired for not reaching expectations. Because if it doesn't look like its figured out fire the coach. 

Winning is all that matters. No community cares about a coach putting in time with kids, investing in the community, caring about kids, maxing out the potential of your talent etc. Wins. And even more specifically a progression of wins. Winning coaches have been fired for a town feeling like they've become stagnate. And lets be honest, there are only a few schools that come close to having the talent to compete with the first 5 schools on your list. I was specific in what I asked for a reason. There is a reason the saying "There are two types of coaches, those that have been fired and those that will be", rings true for 95% of the coaching world.  Outside of the perennial powers that keep towns happy by winning, can you name 5 towns that have not fired their HC for a relatively long time? How many towns exist that understand their potential, and set their standard for their coach around that potential, and his care for the kids? 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, mrclean69 said:

We can not argue both that a good coach invests in kids and the community over wins, and state wins is what shows a place has it "figured out". That's the mindset that leads to coaches being fired for not reaching expectations. Because if it doesn't look like its figured out fire the coach. 

Winning is all that matters. No community cares about a coach putting in time with kids, investing in the community, caring about kids, maxing out the potential of your talent etc. Wins. And even more specifically a progression of wins. Winning coaches have been fired for a town feeling like they've become stagnate. And lets be honest, there are only a few schools that come close to having the talent to compete with the first 5 schools on your list. I was specific in what I asked for a reason. There is a reason the saying "There are two types of coaches, those that have been fired and those that will be", rings true for 95% of the coaching world.  Outside of the perennial powers that keep towns happy by winning, can you name 5 towns that have not fired their HC for a relatively long time? How many towns exist that understand their potential, and set their standard for their coach around that potential, and his care for the kids? 

Jesus, now I have to name 5 more? This is getting exhausting. How many more sets of 5 do I have to name after that? 

Not sure if either one of you guys have ever been a part of a community like I'm picturing, but I have and I hope that all coaches get to experience small town Friday night when you have the overwhelming majority support from the town. It's special.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, 89Falcon said:

Are you speaking in riddles? You drew quite a few conclusions and lodged quite few assumptions. 

A conclusion you did not draw is that "when a program is losing, there is no figuring it out".  Another one is this: "when a program wins, superficial outsiders perceive that they have everything figured out".  

I have a hard time following you. I didn't draw or lodge anything.

10 minutes ago, KellyLeak said:

Jesus, now I have to name 5 more? This is getting exhausting. How many more sets of 5 do I have to name after that? 

Not sure if either one of you guys have ever been a part of a community like I'm picturing, but I have and I hope that all coaches get to experience small town Friday night when you have the overwhelming majority support from the town. It's special.

Blanco, who you listed, fired their coach this year.

7 minutes ago, toeboat said:

Blanco, who you listed, fired their coach this year.

My bad, heard that deal was iffy, at best. Their baseball coach who has been there an unGodly amount of years and has so many wins is doing it the way it should be done.

1 hour ago, KellyLeak said:

I have a hard time following you. I didn't draw or lodge anything.

"You" said:

"go practice your dirty bird or something, quit being pissed at the world". This statement qualifies as "lodging an insinuation" and "drawing a conclusion". At no point did I say anything about a "dirty bird" (whatever that is) or that "I am pissed at the world". 

Make sense? 

16 hours ago, KellyLeak said:

I agree with all of that. But trying to convince these old geezers that it can be changed, turned around, and made a good environment is next to impossible. 

It’s a challenge for sure. 

16 hours ago, 89Falcon said:

"You" said:

"go practice your dirty bird or something, quit being pissed at the world". This statement qualifies as "lodging an insinuation" and "drawing a conclusion". At no point did I say anything about a "dirty bird" (whatever that is) or that "I am pissed at the world". 

Make sense? 

You're so old you don't remember the Atlanta Falcon "dirty bird?" Guess I'll need to slow down with my youngster sass...

1 hour ago, KellyLeak said:

You're so old you don't remember the Atlanta Falcon "dirty bird?" Guess I'll need to slow down with my youngster sass...

Got it, though I am not sure how the Atlanta Falcons are relevant to me. Do you recognize that you are again drawing conclusions and lodging insinuations? And that you were incorrect in stating that "I didn't draw or lodge anything"?

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, 89Falcon said:

Got it, though I am not sure how the Atlanta Falcons are relevant to me. Do you recognize that you are again drawing conclusions and lodging insinuations? And that you were incorrect in stating that "I didn't draw or lodge anything"?

Sir, your profile picture is *literally* the logo of the Atlanta Falcons. 

h83453875h3485w47.jpg

• LOL! 4

On 5/24/2022 at 1:49 PM, KellyLeak said:

It is exhausting to you because obviously reading is difficult for you. You named some of the top programs in the state as the places with community support. No poop man. Its easy to have community support when you are a top 5 program every year. Bland was your closest example to what I was asking for and shocker they fired a community guy that called that place home for two decades. Not because of his buy in to the community but because of WINS. 

Tell me one place (5 was too hard) that the coach has community support without that support being linked solely to wins. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, mrclean69 said:

It is exhausting to you because obviously reading is difficult for you. You named some of the top programs in the state as the places with community support. No poop man. Its easy to have community support when you are a top 5 program every year. Bland was your closest example to what I was asking for and shocker they fired a community guy that called that place home for two decades. Not because of his buy in to the community but because of WINS. 

Tell me one place (5 was too hard) that the coach has community support without that support being linked solely to wins. 

I don't know why your cronies RETIREDFAN or DirtyBirdFALCON89 are giving you trophies, the Blanco guy wasn't fired because of wins, or lack thereof. And Malakoff wasn't a top 5 program in 2003. It was turned into a good program. Same with Carthage. Same with Grandview, shall I keep going? Of course there's not going to be much support at a perennial loser, they ain't got it figured out. Pair them with the right leadership + community support = things CAN get turned around. Takes a little work. 

10 minutes ago, KellyLeak said:

I don't know why your cronies RETIREDFAN or DirtyBirdFALCON89 are giving you trophies, the Blanco guy wasn't fired because of wins, or lack thereof. And Malakoff wasn't a top 5 program in 2003. It was turned into a good program. Same with Carthage. Same with Grandview, shall I keep going? Of course there's not going to be much support at a perennial loser, they ain't got it figured out. Pair them with the right leadership + community support = things CAN get turned around. Takes a little work. 

Agreed, teams that don't "win" do not have "the support of the community". Teams that always "win", have "the support of the community".  

When programs "win" the "community supports them" and they "figure it out". When programs "lose" (even with coaches who once were successful at the same school and had it figured out), they "lose community support" and correspondingly "no longer have it figured out". 

The common denominator is "winning".

• Like 3

On 5/26/2022 at 8:37 AM, 89Falcon said:

Agreed, teams that don't "win" do not have "the support of the community". Teams that always "win", have "the support of the community".  

When programs "win" the "community supports them" and they "figure it out". When programs "lose" (even with coaches who once were successful at the same school and had it figured out), they "lose community support" and correspondingly "no longer have it figured out". 

The common denominator is "winning".

Yep.  Watch Surratt.  If he ever strings together like 4-5 straight losing seasons or 1st round exits, the Carthage faithful will begin questioning whether Surratt has lost it.  We know the answer would be no, but that blind faith we have in him now would fade quickly.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

Yep.  Watch Surratt.  If he ever strings together like 4-5 straight losing seasons or 1st round exits, the Carthage faithful will begin questioning whether Surratt has lost it.  We know the answer would be know, but that blind faith we have in him now would fade quickly.  

Not so sure about that.

We know before SS we had all the talent in the world and never won state.  Then we get SS & Co and win 8; it’d take about 15 years of SS losing early in the playoffs for us to begin questioning his abilities.

He changed our world for the better and it’d take more than four years for us to question him. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Not so sure about that.

We know before SS we had all the talent in the world and never won state.  Then we get SS & Co and win 8; it’d take about 15 years of SS losing early in the playoffs for us to begin questioning his abilities.

He changed our world for the better and it’d take more than four years for us to question him. 

I would be willing to bet there are some in the Carthage community that questioned him this year without a Championship.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Valhalla said:

I would be willing to bet there are some in the Carthage community that questioned him this year without a Championship.

Nah. 

Replaced dang near the entire OL, did have to replace the QB, RB, TE.

We all knew the offense was full of new starters.

Next season, the defense will be almost entirely new starters due to graduation.