7 on 7 leagues/tournaments

Ijustwatch

On 5/14/2022 at 9:45 AM, LoboFan07 said:

Longview usually has a summer league on Monday nights with local teams (Spring Hill/Tatum/etc). I would suspect it will start up once spring ball is over.

Kilgore was doing that there. It was ok, but it was definitely Longview leaning. Glad they decided to do the 7 on 7 SQT

2 hours ago, MattStepp said:

Lindale and Silsbee qualified at Chapel Hill (Tatum and Mt Vernon got into a fight and were DQ'd and will be banned from qualifying tournaments for one year)

Pleasant Grove qualified at the Anna SQT

What's this about a fight?

Guest Tiger03lb
1 hour ago, BigLion10 said:

If it's involving MV it's not surprising. 

4 hours ago, BigLion10 said:

I dont have details other than it was serious enough that both teams were sent home and did not play a third game and subsequently received a one year ban. Dont know how it started or anything else

On 5/22/2022 at 3:09 PM, Tiger03lb said:

If it's involving MV it's not surprising. 

I was told that a MV player slammed our newly arrived QB Cole Watson. I can’t say for sure what happened after that but was told we didn’t retaliate. Was told MV parents were cussing our kids and even went as far as to call our QB’s mom a ***** and I don’t mean Fullback. Lol  I don’t know how accurate this is but it is what I was told. 

Obviously I wasn’t there but I have known and watched a Keeling run program for a long time. Unless he hasn’t got his kids discipline just yet. I can’t imagine Tatum Starting anything. Waskom was one of the most disciplined teams I have ever seen at a highschool level. 

13 minutes ago, Ijustwatch said:

Obviously I wasn’t there but I have known and watched a Keeling run program for a long time. Unless he hasn’t got his kids discipline just yet. I can’t imagine Tatum Starting anything. Waskom was one of the most disciplined teams I have ever seen at a highschool level. 

The guy I talked to said none of our players retaliated. He said our kids our loving Keeling and that the culture has already changed in the short time Keeling has been in Tatum. 

Guest Tiger03lb
On 5/25/2022 at 6:48 AM, Tatum_DirtyBird said:

I was told that a MV player slammed our newly arrived QB Cole Watson. I can’t say for sure what happened after that but was told we didn’t retaliate. Was told MV parents were cussing our kids and even went as far as to call our QB’s mom a **** and I don’t mean Fullback. Lol  I don’t know how accurate this is but it is what I was told. 

I've seen enough games on MV to say that. I'm not surprised at all. 

The parents and fan base isn't the greatest either. I'm not saying all fans and parents are like that from MV, there are very few of them. 

Glad to hear that everything is going good on the change. 

I don't know where y'all are getting your info from, but y'all are way wrong about the whole Mt. Vernon/Tatum thing. I was there, I have a son that plays but not on either one of those teams. We had just played Tatum. Tatum was shoving our players in the back and knocking them down after they caught the ball, double teaming our receivers and slamming into them from both sides so hard, (when it was supposed to be touch) they would drop the ball. Couple of our players got hurt and had to sit out several plays. So, Tatum was playing dirty. We already played Mt. Vernon that day. and we had no problems with them. if you ask me, the ref's shouldve put a stop to Tatum playing the way they did early in their first game. And I'm sure Mt Vernon players just got to the point they got tired of being shoved in the back, etc. and that is incorrect about Tatum not being in the fight, both sidelines were empty, both teams were on the field fighting.  

5 minutes ago, texaschic15 said:

I don't know where y'all are getting your info from, but y'all are way wrong about the whole Mt. Vernon/Tatum thing. I was there, I have a son that plays but not on either one of those teams. We had just played Tatum. Tatum was shoving our players in the back after they caught the ball, double teaming our receivers and slamming into them so hard, (when it was supposed to be touch) they would drop the ball. Couple of our players got hurt and had to sit out several plays. So, Tatum was playing dirty. We already played Mt. Vernon that day. and we had no problems with them. if you ask me, the ref's shouldve put a stop to Tatum playing the way they did early in their first game. And I'm sure Mt Vernon players just got to the point they got tired of being shoved in the back, etc. and that is incorrect about Tatum not being in the fight, both sidelines were empty, both teams were on the field fighting.  

I wasn’t there but I’ve seen enough 7 on 7 to know that even though it’s “touch football”, most all teams are physical with each other. Almost every time I’ve seen someone catch the ball, the defense pushes them to “touch” them. I’m the games I’ve seen it’s very rare for someone to just touch a player down. It all depends on the physicality of it all. I’ve never had a problem with teams being physical if it was part of the play and not 3 seconds after the play. Theirs a difference in physical and dirty. But like I said, I wasn’t there. 

Good officials usually are able to put a stop to overly physical play in 7on7...but inexperienced or lax officials let too much go and that can cause tempers to flare up really quick...there is contact in 7on7, kids are running full speed so just a touch often doesn't happen..its the shoves, extending your arms, throwing a shoulder into people that causes fights if its not flagged quickly

26 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

Good officials usually are able to put a stop to overly physical play in 7on7...but inexperienced or lax officials let too much go and that can cause tempers to flare up really quick...there is contact in 7on7, kids are running full speed so just a touch often doesn't happen..its the shoves, extending your arms, throwing a shoulder into people that causes fights if its not flagged quickly

I think intent should be measured. It’s full speed and you are trying to hurry up and get your hands on the ball carrier so it ends in a bit of a shove but just with intent to end the play. If you conclude that the shove was excessive, then it should be called. Same with defending a ball in the air. If defender is going up for the ball at same time as WR and their is contact, it sometimes results in a player or both players going to the ground. Again, intent should be measured. 

1 hour ago, texaschic15 said:

Like you said, you weren't there. Shoving the players to the ground and sandwiching them with shoulders is what Tatum was doing. Ref's should have put a stop to it in their first game. 

By your comments, it doesn’t sound like you’ve seen much 7 on 7.  Our safety went up to defend a pass and there was some contact which is normal and the MV player went to the ground. He got up and grabbed the smallest guy on the field, not even the guy that contacted him and picked him up and slammed him on his head and got on top of him and started pummeling him is what I’m being told. Seeing that, our players went to defend him. As far as our players “sandwiching” someone, that happens when 2 players go up to defend a pass to a WR. I’ve seen that several times. I’ve seen several times where the defense gives a shove or even 2 hand slaps a ball carrier. What I haven’t seen a lot of is the player that ends up on the ground loosing his cool and starting a fight. That is rare. How this kid gonna deal with real football with full contact when he gets flattened by a head hunter. Maybe he should stick to a less physical sport. 

22 hours ago, Tatum_DirtyBird said:

By your comments, it doesn’t sound like you’ve seen much 7 on 7.  Our safety went up to defend a pass and there was some contact which is normal and the MV player went to the ground. He got up and grabbed the smallest guy on the field, not even the guy that contacted him and picked him up and slammed him on his head and got on top of him and started pummeling him is what I’m being told. Seeing that, our players went to defend him. As far as our players “sandwiching” someone, that happens when 2 players go up to defend a pass to a WR. I’ve seen that several times. I’ve seen several times where the defense gives a shove or even 2 hand slaps a ball carrier. What I haven’t seen a lot of is the player that ends up on the ground loosing his cool and starting a fight. That is rare. How this kid gonna deal with real football with full contact when he gets flattened by a head hunter. Maybe he should stick to a less physical sport. 

Are you saying that Cole was the smallest guy on the field?

There is a league with Marshall, Carthage, Tatum, and Waskom.  They will play on Tuesday nights (one Monday because of a scheduling issue) with each school hosting once.

June 07 @ Marshall 
June 13 @ Tatum
June 21 @ Waskom
June 28 @ Carthage

***Games will start at 5PM
***Each Game will consist of two 15 minute halves with a 5 min halftime
***10 mins between games
***Second week will be on a Monday because of a scheduling conflictho 

-----

I don't know who all will be at the Tyler SQT on June 11th.... but 4 teams from 8-5A will be there:  Marshall, Hallsville, Whitehouse, and Mount Pleasant.  

From what I understand...Longview, Tyler, and Legacy will be there too.  No idea who else will be competing.