Voter Suppression in Georgia

Hagar

Biden told us - worse than Jim Crow.  The MSM warned us, the new Georgia Voting Laws would suppress the vote.  Some fools didn’t listen and now voters in Georgia are suppressed.  Suppressed!  What’s going on….But wait!  Record voter turnout?  Did someone change the definition of suppressed/suppression?  Did Biden (gasp here) lie to us?  The MSM lie to us?  Surely not.  Well…….maybe.

https://news.yahoo.com/georgia-sees-record-early-voting-200307994.html

27 minutes ago, Hagar said:

Biden told us - worse than Jim Crow.  The MSM warned us, the new Georgia Voting Laws would suppress the vote.  Some fools didn’t listen and now voters in Georgia are suppressed.  Suppressed!  What’s going on….But wait!  Record voter turnout?  Did someone change the definition of suppressed/suppression?  Did Biden (gasp here) lie to us?  The MSM lie to us?  Surely not.  Well…….maybe.

https://news.yahoo.com/georgia-sees-record-early-voting-200307994.html

No, no, no...you've got it wrong...

It's supposed to be the evil white people suppressing the minority vote! You need to look at minority (and elderly and poor) turnout!

• LOL! 1

Reports from the Secretary of State’s office says more than 56% of the ballots cast were for the Republican primary, while 43% of ballots were Democratic. The remaining 0.6% of voters chose a nonpartisan ballot.

Here is your suppression--56% of the people were White Supremists--because they asked for Republican ballots. 

• LOL! 1

Here's a National Review article:

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/much-higher-minority-early-voting-in-georgias-upcoming-primaries/

Interesting tidbit from the article:

According to figures released by the Georgia Secretary of State’s office, as of yesterday, May 18,  102,056 more black voters have cast early votes in this year’s primary elections than in 2018 — this is more than three times the number of blacks casting early votes in 2018. (Georgia requests the race/ethnicity of voter registration applicants, and the secretary of state “maintains robust voter registration and turnout data by race/ethnicity.”)

There was also this:

Georgia does not register voters by party, but the Georgia Secretary of State’s office knows which party primary these voters are casting ballots in, and the numbers so far show minority voters are growing more interested in the GOP primary. Five times as many Hispanic voters are casting Republican ballots in this year’s primary as they did in 2018, five times as many Asian voters are casting Republican ballots in 2022 as there were in 2018, and four times as many black voters are casting GOP ballots this year.

Quick! Someone tell CNN!

5 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

Here's a National Review article:

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/much-higher-minority-early-voting-in-georgias-upcoming-primaries/

Interesting tidbit from the article:

There was also this:

Quick! Someone tell CNN!

While you have some great quotes above. 

Would it be possible, as in Texas, for people to vote in a primary and choose a different party's ballot, just so they can try and sway the election. Like, voting in the democratic primary in Texas so that we could make sure that Beto wins the primary? Or in Georgia's case, vote for the one they think Stacy Abrams can beat? 

7 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

While you have some great quotes above. 

Would it be possible, as in Texas, for people to vote in a primary and choose a different party's ballot, just so they can try and sway the election.

Yes, but my understanding is that if you're Republican and you vote in the Democratic primary, it switches your registration automatically.

38 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

Yes, but my understanding is that if you're Republican and you vote in the Democratic primary, it switches your registration automatically.

Georgia does not register voters by party, but the Georgia Secretary of State’s office knows which party primary these voters are casting ballots in,

Straight from your article. 

So how would you know which party I really belong to. 

And I do it all the time in Texas primaries, back and forth, never change my party affiliation either. Still independent. 

23 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

Georgia does not register voters by party, but the Georgia Secretary of State’s office knows which party primary these voters are casting ballots in,

Straight from your article. 

So how would you know which party I really belong to. 

And I do it all the time in Texas primaries, back and forth, never change my party affiliation either. Still independent. 

Texas don't register party affiliation.....only thing here is if you vote in a primary, you can only vote in that primary runoff.......

1 hour ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

Texas don't register party affiliation.....only thing here is if you vote in a primary, you can only vote in that primary runoff.......

That is correct. And I will be voting in tomorrow's Democratic Primary. :rofl:

• LOL! 1

1 hour ago, DannyZuco said:

That is correct. And I will be voting in tomorrow's Democratic Primary. :rofl:

You will, however, become "affiliated" with the Democratic party if you do that:

https://www.sos.state.tx.us/elections/laws/advisory2020-05.shtml

How does party affiliation work in Texas?

In Texas, there are several main ways for a voter to affiliate with a party: by being accepted to vote in a party’s primary election, by taking the required oath at a party precinct convention, or by taking a party oath of affiliation generally (§§162.003, 162.006, 162.007). A voter’s affiliation with a party automatically expires at the end of each calendar year, which is December 31. (§162.010). A voter who has affiliated themselves with a party is ineligible to participate in the party affairs of another party during the same calendar year. (§§162.012, 162.013)

And

1. I voted in the primary election on March 3, 2020.  Why did they ask if I wanted a Republican or Democratic ballot? 

The primary elections are two separate elections that occur on the same day. The elections are the method for both the Republican and Democratic parties to select their nominees for the general election in November. When a voter votes in a primary election or primary runoff election, they are affiliating with the party whose primary they are voting in. (§162.003). A voter who is affiliated with a political party is ineligible to become affiliated with another party during the same voting year. (§162.012). This means a voter cannot vote in both primary elections, or the primary election of one party and the runoff election of another party. Some counties will have joint primaries and/or the parties will share polling places. In a county where the Republican and Democratic parties are sharing polling places, the voter must identify the primary in which they would like to vote, in order to ensure they receive the correct ballot and are marked as voting in the correct primary election. 

So you'll be "affiliated" with the Democratic party until the end of the year.