Best 4A/3A 2007-2021

HammerDahn

1 hour ago, CMat79 said:

Best thread ever on Smoaky! A lot of hype before the game. Some people forget how close that game was through 3 quarters before Yoe finally pulled away. If I'm not mistaken, Tatum led 14-13 midway through the 3rd.

Best Player- The late Traion Smith - 7,620 yds rushing

Best Game- 2012 Newton / Yoe. Everyone and their mother picked Newton to destroy Cameron. Yoe shut that high powered offense down to zero points in the second half.

I don’t know, 2010 Carthage versus Brownwood thread before the game was TENSE, and then after the game not a soul from Brownwood returned, so satisfying!

• LOL! 1

The most exciting game I ever watched was the State Championship game between Dangerfield and Cameron don't remember the year I am getting old.

The hardest hitting game I ever saw was when Jefferson beat Dangerfield in 86 and went on and won State that year. I could not believe how bad the fans in the stands where talking about Dangerfield's Head coach after that game with the run that they had just been on.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 514 said:

The most exciting game I ever watched was the State Championship game between Dangerfield and Cameron don't remember the year I am getting old.

The hardest hitting game I ever saw was when Jefferson beat Dangerfield in 86 and went on and won State that year. I could not believe how bad the fans in the stands where talking about Dangerfield's Head coach after that game with the run that they had just been on.

Typical Daingerfield fans.  Should have heard them in 87 when we went 9-2-1.  Lost to Carthage by a missed field goal to end the game.  Tied Henderson 27-27 the week before to stop a 55 regular season win streak.  Followed by losing to L/K of all teams in the playoffs.  You would walk into the DQ and people would ridicule you.  The fans expect perfection.

50 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

We were your daddy that year, as well as most years ... lol

Yeah, maybe you're right.  Do you think that trend continues now that SA and Garrison are back in the same district?

2 hours ago, SAPACK1 said:

Yeah, maybe you're right.  Do you think that trend continues now that SA and Garrison are back in the same district?

Garrison is getting back on track .... should be interesting ....

11 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

Garrison is getting back on track .... should be interesting ....

Slightly off topic, but do you remember the years that Hemphill and Garrison were in the same district?  I believe it was something like 1999-2002.  Over that 4 year period I think Garrison won 3 out of the four games they played but the combined point differential over the 4 years was like 5 combined points.  Those were some great games.

1 hour ago, SAPACK1 said:

Slightly off topic, but do you remember the years that Hemphill and Garrison were in the same district?  I believe it was something like 1999-2002.  Over that 4 year period I think Garrison won 3 out of the four games they played but the combined point differential over the 4 years was like 5 combined points.  Those were some great games.

Yes, both teams were pretty evenly matched ... those were some nail  💅  biters  ....

19 hours ago, TxBroadcaster said:

Outside of rhe odd SA/Garrison path this thread took , thanks to everyone who answered or messaged me or sent us emails. We will record tonight

Can't wait! When will the show be live?

16 hours ago, TxBroadcaster said:

Sorry I just saw this...came out last week

https://lonestargridiron.com/2022/06/15th-year-special-060922/

No worries! I gave it a listen on Monday. Great show, as always, guys! Always fun to reminisce. You probably could have taken a couple shows on this topic and really broken down some of those memorable games. There's just so many, it's easy to let some slip through the cracks of the memory.

So funny to think back on the message boards in those early years. I believe Txprepsxtra.com (or something like that) was where I first got started on the forums. I used to be a "cub" reporter for those guys and text score updates to ProducerBilly (don't know if anybody remembers him or not - I know Stepp does). Then moved over to 3Adownlow when Celina moved up, and have been over there ever since. It's certainly much quieter than it was in the 2005-2012ish era though.

Can't wait for the next show, guys! Glad y'all put in the time and do what you do.

10 minutes ago, SHillBuckeye said:

Perhaps. Those Dawg defenses against that 2014 Buckeye offense. 2017 would be close, but 2020 you might be right!

It’d be a fun discussion. That 2017 team was the culmination of the Ingram Era, which also included those three deadly wide receivers and the defense with those NASTY senior linebackers, as well as a great secondary. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Overall

Best player - Dwight Smith was a grown man

Best team - pick one of Carthage's Title teams.

Best game - Tatum 47 Gilmer 41 in 2010 to end Gilmer's 34 game home win streak  

My School

Best from 2007-2021? Couldn't have stretched it from 2005? Lol

Best player? Ehhh I'll list 3, Bryce Beall 2007, BJ Allen 2010, Jalen Overstreet 2010/2011. 

Best team - 2007 lost to Farmersville in OT by 3 trying to 3-peat. 

Best game - Again - Tatum 47 Gilmer 41, ending their home win streak in 2010(full game below)

• Like 1

I am biased so bare with me. Best player I’ve seen? 

RB Jordan Jenkins of Lindale. Ran for over 3,000 yards in Sr. Season and 51 touchdowns. Literally willed Lindale to a 2nd round win over Needville with 9 TD’s. 7 rushing, 1 receiving and 80+ yard kick return as well. Lindale won 77-70 I think. Jenkins would not be denied. It was a spectacular performance. 

2nd best was also my best game I’ve seen in person. Lindale state semis against LBJ. Down 28-3 at halftime, Lindale shuts out LBJ in 2nd half and kicks winning field goal with no time on clock. And Wins 31-28. LBJ is STUNNED. It was an incredible game. Didn’t seem real. Those boys gave everything they had that day. Jenkins scored 3 Td’s and literally had to be helped off the field he was so tired and banged up. Knew we were not gonna win state after seeing that. He was gassed. Had nothing left. Never seen a back get so many yards after contact. 6’1” 220 pounds and wins district 100 meters. And a great student too. Guy is a beast. Physical runner who reminds you of Adrian Peterson with his upright running style. Hits a hole with power and then accelerates up field. A fast battering Ram. A man amongst boys. It was so fun to watch.