Best 4A/3A 2007-2021

HammerDahn

32 minutes ago, Tatum_DirtyBird said:

Yep. Same exact score as Gilmer/Gladewater just not the playoff atmosphere. That why people forget about the Gilmer/Tatum 2014 game. 

The atmosphere at that GW/Gilmer playoff game was the best of any game I’ve ever attended. I still believe we got that first down 🤣

4 minutes ago, GWBears01 said:

The atmosphere at that GW/Gilmer playoff game was the best of any game I’ve ever attended. I still believe we got that first down 🤣

What’s funny is the same exact thing happened in our game. We felt like we got spotted about a foot short and only needed like 6”. 😂

On 7/28/2022 at 6:25 PM, ETSportsfan87 said:

Jermie Calhoun Van

On 7/28/2022 at 7:56 PM, Eagle8 said:

I'll give ya that one. Cody Glenn with Rusk as well maybe?

I went and watched those 2 play against each other in Van. Sturns was a senior I think and Calhoun a soph or Jr. Sturns had 250ish and Calhoun north of 300. I felt so sorry for the kids on D for both teams trying to corral those 2! 

On 8/8/2022 at 12:34 PM, PelvisPresley said:

I may want to go back just a couple years earlier with my player, Gilmer's Manuel Johnson...

best team...'14 Gilmer was a great choice...might would have been Gilmer's GJ Kinne team had it not been for a terrible Liberty Eylau game...always felt that team throughout the season should have played full games (starters going past halftime)..."no telling" what national records might have fallen with that team and they would have been totally prepared for that LE team.

best game was the Gilmer vs Canton game, the last year Kinne was playing QB at Canton... 

One of the biggest surprise games I ever witnessed was Atlanta whipping Gilmer at Rose in 2003, I think.  

I was expecting Manual Johnson and company to win that one,  but that Atlanta team was special.  Curtis Burns is one of the best high school players I've ever watched.  What they did to Marlin in the championship game was crazy.  Marlin couldn't anything

3 hours ago, trashyhound said:

I went and watched those 2 play against each other in Van. Sturns was a senior I think and Calhoun a soph or Jr. Sturns had 250ish and Calhoun north of 300. I felt so sorry for the kids on D for both teams trying to corral those 2! 

Forgot about Justin Sturns. Those teams back then that had the one big monstrosity of a back with nothing else.....they'd feed them 40 times a game and it was just full on war. Poor workhorses took a beating. 

"Boo" Beachum for Carthage in 04 for example. He was getting like 40 carries a game.....right before we played eachother for the district title he goes down with an injury. We shut them out. They had Jason Teague as a back up but he was just too young. Fed them workhorses all year long and it was just too much for a kid to handle.....at some point, they were gonna break. 

37 minutes ago, Eagle8 said:

Forgot about Justin Sturns. Those teams back then that had the one big monstrosity of a back with nothing else.....they'd feed them 40 times a game and it was just full on war. Poor workhorses took a beating. 

"Boo" Beachum for Carthage in 04 for example. He was getting like 40 carries a game.....right before we played eachother for the district title he goes down with an injury. We shut them out. They had Jason Teague as a back up but he was just too young. Fed them workhorses all year long and it was just too much for a kid to handle.....at some point, they were gonna break. 

No joke. When Calhoun was at Van, it wasn't hard to read who was getting the ball.🤣

• LOL! 1

admittedly, I'm a stats nerd and happily read through most teams historical sections (some schools really need to do a bunch of work to expand their info and get things accurate...bad when I am reading through and picking up on errors in numbers - common sense)...

in looking, I will start mentioning amazing player seasons as I find things...so, to start

#JohnTyler 

QB - Bryson Smith of the John Tyler Lions in 2016

3,277 passing yards, 32 passing TD's

1,653 rushing yards, 23 rushing TD's 

season ended at 11-2...only disappointment probably

#TylerLee

looking at Tyler Lee's info...it was rough to find something outstanding...the best to jump out at me...

K - Shane Hudnall for the Tyler Lee Red Raiders (1996 & '97)

#Hudnall pounded FG's from 57, 54, and 50 yards...big leg...now in Lee fashion he is tied for most FG in a career with a meager 18.

#LongviewLobos

when I look at their stats and history, I saw these standouts

RB - Fred Talley '97 season (JR year), led team to a state runner-up while running for 2,053 yards - went on to play very well at #Arkansas (SR year at ARK, he had 1,119 yards).

RB - Vondrell McGee '04-05 he had 55 career TD's and went on to "not much" at UT...I thought he was a stud!

WR - Kamden Perry '18 season was outstanding, with 1,896 yards & 18 TD's...plus a state championship.