Uvalde, Texas school shooting: 21 killed, suspected shooter dead, Gov. Abbott says

Wild74

2 hours ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

Plus there weren't 24/7 news stations........we got the news at 5:30 and 6:00 only........and they focused more on local stories.......

This is a great point. Our access to info has greatly increased due to internet and multiple media outlets and social media. We are practically cyborgs with a phone in your pocket. It might be worse percentage wise (big pharma) from 50 years ago but it seems way worse due to amount of info we have access to. 

20 minutes ago, Crawford said:

And they are scratching their heads wondering what had happened to our schools. God have mercy.

I know I'm a one-off, and this is anecdotal...

Years ago, I studied Tae Kwon Do. I got pretty high up the chain. If I stuck with it, at the level I was when I stopped, I probably could have earned a black belt within two years. I didn't, however, go around picking fights or intentionally trying to kick people's butts. I knew how dangerous it was. I also knew that I had the know-how to severely injure/kill someone. My instructor was NOT like Sensei Kreese. He taught us that the first thing to do is walk away, but if you feel like you must engage, know when to stop. And we were taught not to instigate. To use it for defense.

It's kind of the same with guns. A gun, if not being used to hunt, should be used by civilians for protection (i.e. defense).

I hate to sound like a grumpy old man here but does anyone wonder why we didin't have even more mass shootings back in the day? I went to a large suburban school with a student parking lot that had countless pickups with gunracks holding rifles and all my redneck classmates each had knife holsters in their belts. If access to lethal weapons was the sole issue it seems like the 70s-80s-90s would have been a non-stop bloodbath. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Monte1076 said:

I know I'm a one-off, and this is anecdotal...

Years ago, I studied Tae Kwon Do. I got pretty high up the chain. If I stuck with it, at the level I was when I stopped, I probably could have earned a black belt within two years. I didn't, however, go around picking fights or intentionally trying to kick people's butts. I knew how dangerous it was. I also knew that I had the know-how to severely injure/kill someone. My instructor was NOT like Sensei Kreese. He taught us that the first thing to do is walk away, but if you feel like you must engage, know when to stop. And we were taught not to instigate. To use it for defense.

It's kind of the same with guns. A gun, if not being used to hunt, should be used by civilians for protection (i.e. defense).

I have a firearm and don't hunt anymore, never did hunt much anyhow but I do have a 20 gauge automatic and its purpose is strictly to blow you way if you try to enter my home and hurt my family. That is the only purpose I have for it and maybe to run a few animals off that don't need to be around the house. 

• Like 1

https://www.facebook.com/577406662/posts/10160165741871663/

I just watched a news person interview a school principal and ask, "What are we missing? What do children need?" He went on and on about mental illness, the Juvenile Justice System, gun control, education reform, blah, blah, blah.
Folks, none of that mumbo jumbo makes a lick of sense. Here is what children need: 
1. Children need a mother and a father who love each other and work together as a team. 
2. Children need a bicycle, neighbors, and cousins. 
3. Children need a grandma to bake with and a grandpa to take em fishing.
4. Children need a church, a Sunday School Class, and a truth telling Preacher.
5. Children need a dinner time with home cooked food, prayer, and conversation.
6. Children need Sunday afternoon football and fried chicken.
7. Children need books on tape and coloring pages.
8. Children need summers at the beach and bazooka bubble gum.
9. Children need a trip to Arlington and Fourth of July Fireworks.
10. Children need fire pits, smores, ghost stories, the drive in, and real popcorn. 
11. Children need discipline from their parents.
12. Children need chores, a job, a way to earn what they want. 
13. Children need education that recognizes mama and daddy as the authority, God as the creator, and the Bible as the roadmap. 
This is not about some agenda, this is about children. Get back to basics: faith, family, & good ole fashioned fun.

Copied from Lisa Geraci Giesler

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Wild74 said:

I have a firearm and don't hunt anymore, never did hunt much anyhow but I do have a 20 gauge automatic and its purpose is strictly to blow you way if you try to enter my home and hurt my family. That is the only purpose I have for it and maybe to run a few animals off that don't need to be around the house. 

Correct. Because you use it for defense purposes.

9 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

https://www.facebook.com/577406662/posts/10160165741871663/

I just watched a news person interview a school principal and ask, "What are we missing? What do children need?" He went on and on about mental illness, the Juvenile Justice System, gun control, education reform, blah, blah, blah.
Folks, none of that mumbo jumbo makes a lick of sense. Here is what children need: 
1. Children need a mother and a father who love each other and work together as a team. 
2. Children need a bicycle, neighbors, and cousins. 
3. Children need a grandma to bake with and a grandpa to take em fishing.
4. Children need a church, a Sunday School Class, and a truth telling Preacher.
5. Children need a dinner time with home cooked food, prayer, and conversation.
6. Children need Sunday afternoon football and fried chicken.
7. Children need books on tape and coloring pages.
8. Children need summers at the beach and bazooka bubble gum.
9. Children need a trip to Arlington and Fourth of July Fireworks.
10. Children need fire pits, smores, ghost stories, the drive in, and real popcorn. 
11. Children need discipline from their parents.
12. Children need chores, a job, a way to earn what they want. 
13. Children need education that recognizes mama and daddy as the authority, God as the creator, and the Bible as the roadmap. 
This is not about some agenda, this is about children. Get back to basics: faith, family, & good ole fashioned fun.

Copied from Lisa Geraci Giesler

So, for the most part, things we had when we were kids?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

So, for the most part, things we had when we were kids?

Exactly, and drove to school in my pickup truck with a 30-30 rifle and 12 gauge shotgun in a visible gun rack behind the seat ....  as did many of my friends .... zero school shootings ....

Guns aren't the problem ....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EnjoyLife said:

A well regulated militia...................

The FOUNDERS definition of a militia was all citizens and the well regulation meant they knew how to handle their weapons.....try again pinko.......

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Youngcoach123 said:

Lol, keep reading the rest hoss

Yeah...I know. I was having a little fun (poking the bear lol) with RF1 since he always posts "Shall not be infringed".

Right or wrong I believe the court has ruled that "A well regulated militia..." (in this case) refers to the people and not necessarily an actual military unit. 

• Like 2
  • Grumpy 1

Some of these things aren't clear. Is there anyone who can clear things up?

1. There is a picture circulating around the Internet of the shooters truck in a ditch about half a mile away from the school. The axle has been broken on the rear left, there is a giant indentation from where a police vehicle rammed the truck from the side in an attempt to disable it.

2. From this point on the police being several feet away from the shooters truck as he got out of it… Allowed him to walk over half a mile away to a school and never alerted anybody within the school to lock or secure doors

3. They knew he had just murdered or attempted to… His Grandmother. So he was known to the authorities as being armed and dangerous with intent to kill…

4. In the video of him walking onto the school property and walking into an unlocked door on the side of the campus, there are no police pursuing him.

5. The first person to come in contact with the shooter was a border patrol agent… Not a police officer. That border patrol agent was shot with non-life-threatening injuries.

6. Normally after these kind of shootings happen, there is a flood of information that hits the Internet from the police, the FBI and local parents sharing their stories. Every single piece of information we are getting from authorities seems like they are hiding information about this incident. No cause of motive, no family history… It took a private investigator to pull up the charges he got when he threatened to kill people at his high school… The police are going out of their way to keep his history silent. Why? Why not admit it at the press conference?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, EnjoyLife said:

Yeah...I know. I was having a little fun (poking the bear lol) with RF1 since he always posts "Shall not be infringed".

Right or wrong I believe the court has ruled that "A well regulated militia..." (in this case) refers to the people and not necessarily an actual military unit. 

Imagine if the state had a militia program. Qualify for the militia and you have zero gun restrictions. Maintain 3rd party qualifications for certain firearms (RPGs/grenade launchers etc) to be able to possess them and that’s it. Would be a great system. 

• Like 1