Marshall Baseball

ontheinside

I saw where Coach Dunaway isn’t coming back to Marshall next year. I’m a little surprised honestly. I know they had a down year this year but last year they went 3 rounds deep. Always felt like Coach Dunaway got the most out of his kids. Is this the new AD wanting to bring his own guy in? Anybody know anyone that might get a look at this job? Marshall is a very tradition rich baseball program and now they have great facilities. Seems like it would attract a lot of great candidates. 

On 5/24/2022 at 9:34 PM, ontheinside said:

I saw where Coach Dunaway isn’t coming back to Marshall next year. I’m a little surprised honestly. I know they had a down year this year but last year they went 3 rounds deep. Always felt like Coach Dunaway got the most out of his kids. Is this the new AD wanting to bring his own guy in? Anybody know anyone that might get a look at this job? Marshall is a very tradition rich baseball program and now they have great facilities. Seems like it would attract a lot of great candidates. 

I read the article and he was saying it wasn’t his choice so Alvarez must be Bringing his guy in.

I don’t think it was the ADs decision.   It was higher from what I hear.

It’s a desirable position.  One of the best baseball booster groups in the region.  Last I heard they have raised over $300K in the last few years.  That’s crazy for baseball. 

Great facilities.  With more improvements coming (scoreboard).  Newly installed turf. New stands. 

But there are challenges too.  Keeping the best talent in the city in Marshall has gotta be one priority.   Talent slips away to EF and Hallsville.   They both have great programs.  But we’d like to keep our own. 

Getting the city league working with MHS is needed too to cultivate more talent. 

It’s a great job.   It should bring some good applications.   Here’s to the future. 

4 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

I don’t think it was the ADs decision.   It was higher from what I hear.

It’s a desirable position.  One of the best baseball booster groups in the region.  Last I heard they have raised over $300K in the last few years.  That’s crazy for baseball. 

Great facilities.  With more improvements coming (scoreboard).  Newly installed turf. New stands. 

But there are challenges too.  Keeping the best talent in the city in Marshall has gotta be one priority.   Talent slips away to EF and Hallsville.   They both have great programs.  But we’d like to keep our own. 

Getting the city league working with MHS is needed too to cultivate more talent. 

It’s a great job.   It should bring some good applications.   Here’s to the future. 

When asked about the situation, Marshall athletic director Jack Alvar said, “We’re going a different direction.

it sounds like  it was his decision. I don’t know though. 

I certainly don’t know for 100%. 

Only going on things I’ve heard from people that are typically in the know

I’m sure more details will be known in the coming weeks.  

I’ve been out of the country for the last week……So my cell service has been spotty.  Plus I’ve tried to unplug as much as possible.

Best wishes to Coach Dunaway.  And high hopes for his successor.  

• 4 weeks later...

Homerun hire by the Mavericks. 
career record of 472-171

In spite of this past season… he’s taking over a program that’s in pretty good shape really.  Only a year removed from a regional semis appearance.

But still some work to get done to get us where we want to be