Jump to content

*** Regional Finals Info ***


Recommended Posts

The call of the Argyle-Stephenville games can be heard on Sportsgram Channel 9 starting at 6:30 pm Thurs. evening.....and the following night at the same time.  You can either google Sportsgram for Channel 9.......or Argyle Broadcast Network......either one will get you there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

No problem.  SH started our #2 tonight and relieved with #3.  Our #1 (Ballard) will get the start tomorrow night.  From LNJ today:

”Ballard is 14-0 on the mound with a 0.81 earned run average, 124 strikeouts and 19 walks in 85.2 innings pitched.”

Looks like Celina will be up against a wall tomorrow night with Ballard on the mound.  Those stats are very impressive and a true indicator of the quality of pitching Celina will be up against. Quality pitching along with quality defense has a definitive advantage over even a good hitting ball club.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, regaleagle said:

Looks like Celina will be up against a wall tomorrow night with Ballard on the mound.  Those stats are very impressive and a true indicator of the quality of pitching Celina will be up against. Quality pitching along with quality defense has a definitive advantage over even a good hitting ball club.

I’ll be honest Regal, I was expecting Celina to hit better tonight than they did.  If our #2 & #3 got that many strikeouts, pop ups and ground outs, Ballard will be tough for the Bobcats to hit if he is on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

I’ll be honest Regal, I was expecting Celina to hit better tonight than they did.  If our #2 & #3 got that many strikeouts, pop ups and ground outs, Ballard will be tough for the Bobcats to hit if he is on.

You and me both.......I was thinking Celina was gonna get up there and consistently put the bat on the ball.  But as you related the results of each at bat......SH put down the Celina bats in order for what.......at least 3 innings tonight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, regaleagle said:

You and me both.......I was thinking Celina was gonna get up there and consistently put the bat on the ball.  But as you related the results of each at bat......SH put down the Celina bats in order for what.......at least 3 innings tonight.

I don’t have the box score, but I think the Bobcats only had 3 or 4 hits in the game and they were all singles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yep......but you just never know when a club may all of a sudden catch fire with the bats.......even against a #1 pitcher.  It's a crazy game and sometimes(but not very often) crazy things can happen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Argyle this season with its young team is kinda crazy......they will go along and then all of a sudden put up a 3 to 5 spot in one atbat.  They have done that many times this season, but then they tighten up and play defense again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Yep......but you just never know when a club may all of a sudden catch fire with the bats.......even against a #1 pitcher.  It's a crazy game and sometimes(but not very often) crazy things can happen.

Celina hasn’t lost a game since March 4th.  That’s 28-1 in that span.  I will be curious to see how they respond tomorrow.  As much as I wanted SH to go undefeated in district play, I think the Bullard loss April 26th crushed some pride and helped the Panthers refocus on the prize.  They have played great baseball since.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, PantherNation2015 said:

Celina hasn’t lost a game since March 4th.  That’s 28-1 in that span.  I will be curious to see how they respond tomorrow.  As much as I wanted SH to go undefeated in district play, I think the Bullard loss April 26th crushed some pride and helped the Panthers refocus on the prize.  They have played great baseball since.

Same thing happened to Argyle just before the end of district play.  They played a Saturday non-district game (for whatever reason) against Godley in Godley and lost 4-1.  Maybe Argyle pitched a couple of the youngsters in that game, I dunno.  But that was the 3rd loss of the season and helped the team to refocus.  Previous losses occurred in tournament play(and so did the tie) early in the season. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kinda makes you think maybe the HC purposely arranges to schedule a non-district opponent late season that is a quality club with a playoff pedigree in the hopes to test the team.....or maybe even shake up the team a little going into the playoffs a week or two down the road......using some of their "not regular" starters and pitchers in the process just to see how the team plays.

It's really not a bad thing at all.......there can be positives regardless of the outcome of the game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, GTAlumnus said:

Gunter 15 Pottsboro 1 game 1

After a 12-run first inning Potts smartly sacrificed several pitchers and their ace will likely be available.  Not sure about Gunter.

With the score 14-1 there was about a 3 hour rain delay in the top of the 3rd.  Game ended in 5 innings.

Game  2 will be in Prosper tomorrow and game 3 Friday if needed.

As bad as the score it is still just one game.  Gunter needs to finish this off tomorrow.

Both starters today will be available going forward -- Kent threw 31 pitches, Villanueva 27. I think they both can factor in Game 2 and if there is a Game 3, I expect both will start

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, regaleagle said:

Carthage is the only team left standing in 4A that did not win their District Championship......they were the Runner-Up.  

Yet they are still alive.  And BTW they only have 3 seniors on the team.  They are playing their best baseball of the year in the playoffs.  And they split with my Panthers during the season.  They are good enough to be where they are.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well it's Thurs. now and a very big day in the Class 4A baseball regional final playoffs.  A big day for Sinton and Calallen in that one-gamer tonight to decide the Region 4 Champ and who moves on to the State Tournament.  A big day for Spring Hill and Celina in the 2nd game of their best of 3 in Region 2, and a big day for Argyle vs  Stephenville in the Region 1 Final.  China Spring will also square off against Carthage in their best of 3 series in Region 3 tonight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nobody wants to play Sinton at this juncture......only as the last game of the season if Sinton is still playing.  We will have that result later tonight......if Sinton wins they will be the #1 Seed in the State Tournament. IF Calallen wins, then look out!  That would throw a wrench into the whole seeding outlook and definitely have an effect on every team still playing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

According to the UIL Regional Baseball playoffs schedules......there will be a total of 36 out of the 40 teams left playing games tonight across the state in this round of the playoffs in all the classifications.  Actually......some may be playing "day" games today.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Next week at this time......20 teams in the UIL Baseball Championships will converge in the Austin area for the State tournaments in every classification to decide the State Champion in each classification to end the 2021-22 UIL and sports year campaigns.  Good Luck to all those schools that make the trip.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

Hey @PantherNation2015 do you know who started on the mound for Celina? I heard it was the Bobcats' No. 3 starter, which leaves them with their 1 and 2 to try and match Ballard. Although, it's now all-hands-on-deck.

#14 Cole Marthilijohni started and #99 Zach Veverka came in for relief in the bottom of 5th (I think).  #14 had over 70 pitches and #99 around 50.  I’m guessing Ruais is #1 and Bentley is #2?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

#14 Cole Marthilijohni started and #99 Zach Veverka came in for relief in the bottom of 5th (I think).  #14 had over 70 pitches and #99 around 50.  I’m guessing Ruais is #1 and Bentley is #2?

That's what I thought. Funny neither team threw their ace in game 1!

Ruais (LHP) and Bentley (RHP) are 1a and 1b.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...