To those who gave the last full measure

My grandmother told of her two brother’s who were on a oiler in the pacific,that went under after taking shell’s from a jap destroyer.Her with a husband in Europe fighting nazi’s and scant mail from that theater and raising 6 kid’s along with the wives of her brother’s staying with her on rose hill.The preacher driving up with a couple people from the service,The dreadful silence as these gentlemen walked silently towards the porch. My family was notified that my great uncle’s were lost at sea and the navy presumed them dead,the obligatory plans for funeral’s were being made and moving forward,when two day’s later the navy sent a message that the boys along with a few other’s had been spotted by a plane watcher on an island in the vicinity of the battle. Dale and Elsie were lucky,but many of their shipmate’s weren’t.My grandfather made it home after the fall of the German reicht and VE Day.But many of his patriots didn’t fare as well..The war to end all wars and the greatest generation in history,paid an unmitigated price both at war and at home..Most of us will never understand the strength it took to give,THE LAST FULL MEASURE.❤️