Official 2022 NCAA Baseball Playoff Thread

9 minutes ago, bordertown said:

I think it is imperative for Texas to win their first two games. Not comfortable they have the arms to survive going through the losers bracket. They have the bats, but I would hate to count on winning a high scoring game. I was expecting a high scoring game Sunday. Luckily, Stevens righted the ship and  found his groove. Hope it was not a one game aberration. The bracket does carry a lot of storylines and should be entertaining.

Game 1 is definitely huge for Texas. Game 2 regardless of what happens will be a very emotional game and won’t be easy. 

The CWS is different from the rest of the tournament, where you get a day off after each game until bracket championship games and then the championship series is 3 straight days. 

2 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

Game 1 is definitely huge for Texas. Game 2 regardless of what happens will be a very emotional game and won’t be easy. 

The CWS is different from the rest of the tournament, where you get a day off after each game until bracket championship games and then the championship series is 3 straight days. 

I agree that emotions will be high regardless if they face A&M or OU. Especially if it’s an elimination game. 

• Like 1

I also think the pressure is on Texas. OU and A&M are playing on house money at this point. Nobody expected them to make it this far. Texas started the season in essentially win the title or bust mode. You certainly can’t get beat out by either one of A&M or OU without feeling the sting. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I also think the pressure is on Texas. OU and A&M are playing on house money at this point. Nobody expected them to make it this far. Texas started the season in essentially win the title or bust mode. You certainly can’t get beat out by either one of A&M or OU without feeling the sting. 

Eh, I would’ve agreed with this much earlier in the season. I’ve said since Texas’ ace went down, however, that this isn’t the same team. 
That said, with those three being in the same bracket, I think any combination of games is going to be electric. 

36 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

Eh, I would’ve agreed with this much earlier in the season. I’ve said since Texas’ ace went down, however, that this isn’t the same team. 
That said, with those three being in the same bracket, I think any combination of games is going to be electric. 

Agreed. I’ll be very disappointed if Texas and A&M are not involved in some form of elimination game this week. I know not many follow baseball like they follow football but it would be fun to have a little banter for the summer before football kicks off. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Agreed. I’ll be very disappointed if Texas and A&M are not involved in some form of elimination game this week. I know not many follow baseball like they follow football but it would be fun to have a little banter for the summer before football kicks off. 

I was just taking to a friend about this earlier today. I’m football first as well, but if Texas loses in the CWS, I’ll still be upset, lol. 

1 minute ago, Lobo97 said:

I was just taking to a friend about this earlier today. I’m football first as well, but if Texas loses in the CWS, I’ll still be upset, lol. 

Absolutely. I watch far more baseball than I do basketball and have lost all interest in all professional sports. I too will be disappointed if my team loses. 

3 hours ago, WETSU said:

Isn’t A&M the highest ranked team to make it?

That makes them sound like the favorite to me if true. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Isn’t A&M the highest ranked team to make it?

That makes them sound like the favorite to me if true. 

Stanford is the highest seed to make it at 2. 

A&M was picked to finish 13th out of 14th in the SEC preseason predictions. Even as late as the start of SEC play they weren’t even predicted to make the tournament. My comment was made more along the lines preseason expectations more so than actual seeding. 

10 hours ago, WETSU said:

Stanford is the highest seed to make it at 2. 

A&M was picked to finish 13th out of 14th in the SEC preseason predictions. Even as late as the start of SEC play they weren’t even predicted to make the tournament. My comment was made more along the lines preseason expectations more so than actual seeding. 

While I’ll admit that I didn’t expect the Aggies to make it to the CWS, I did expect them to get much better as the season continued. New coaches and transfer players just needed time to figure each other out and gel as a group. I’d much rather face Stanford right now than the Aggies. This could be their year. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lhornfan said:

While I’ll admit that I didn’t expect the Aggies to make it to the CWS, I did expect them to get much better as the season continued. New coaches and transfer players just needed time to figure each other out and gel as a group. I’d much rather face Stanford right now than the Aggies. This could be their year. 

Vegas has A&M as the biggest underdog in the tournament. They have Texas as the favorite. 

On 6/13/2022 at 9:15 AM, JustAFan11 said:

3 of the hottest teams and preseason #1 on the same side. 
Texas will have an experience edge in Omaha but the pitching staff may have the most questions. 
OU throttled Texas to win the Big12 tournament and has been surging the last month. 
Notre Dame beat Tennessee on the road and really outplayed the top seed over the weekend. 
Texas A&M swept their Regional and Super. Highest seeded team in the bracket and a coach with plenty of experience. Playing their best ball at the right time. 

This is going to be a fun week of baseball. 

I don’t think it will happen, but remember Auburn’s hot streak in the middle of the season… they could make a strong run.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

I don’t think it will happen, but remember Auburn’s hot streak in the middle of the season… they could make a strong run.

I personally think this is as wide open as the field has been in a few years… 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WETSU said:

Vegas has A&M as the biggest underdog in the tournament. They have Texas as the favorite. 

Vegas is putting a lot on history with the Longhorns playing in more CWS than not. I’m concerned with our pitching. Too many walks and 2-0 counts lately. 

2 hours ago, Lhornfan said:

Vegas is putting a lot on history with the Longhorns playing in more CWS than not. I’m concerned with our pitching. Too many walks and 2-0 counts lately. 

Vegas puts the lines/favorites as to how they think the betting will go……not who Vegas thinks will win………Texas has a huge fan base/alumni and history - leads a lot of people to bet on them. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cotton84 said:

Vegas puts the lines/favorites as to how they think the betting will go……not who Vegas thinks will win………Texas has a huge fan base/alumni and history - leads a lot of people to bet on them. 

Yep … and the fact this is their 38th appearance, Texas is synonymous with the CWS. A casual fan will put their money on Texas, therefore swaying the odds. Can Texas bats sufficient to win the series … yes. The issue is which bullpen will show up. Aaron Nixon was supposed to be the stopper, but is in a classic sophomore slump this season. Now that grades have come out, maybe he will pitch like a junior. The loss of Tanner Witt cannot be under estimated.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cotton84 said:

Isn't that pretty much what I typed? WETSU stated Vegas has Texas as the favorite, and I stated it was due to their history of the CWS - not because they are the best team in the tournament. 🤷‍♂️ 

27 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

Isn't that pretty much what I typed? WETSU stated Vegas has Texas as the favorite, and I stated it was due to their history of the CWS - not because they are the best team in the tournament. 🤷‍♂️ 

If Stephen F Austin had been to the college World Series 38 times and this was them in the college World Series instead of Texas(same players just with SFA on the jerseys), Vegas would not have them as favorites. 

And use SFA because I graduated from there, and love the Jacks. 

3 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

If Stephen F Austin had been to the college World Series 38 times and this was them in the college World Series instead of Texas(same players just with SFA on the jerseys), Vegas would not have them as favorites. 

So in your opinion, Texas is the best team in Omaha right now?

4 hours ago, cotton84 said:

I do not agree with this statement.

It just so happens that Texas is known for more than just baseball.

If SFA were to have been to half of the CWS and had won multiple NC’s in baseball, then yes, I believe that Vegas would have them as the “favorites”.

Playing at TD Ameritrade is going to be a wake up call for some of these teams... Whether lack of HR's or pitching woes. It is not a friendly ballpark. A lot of space on that field.

Which reminds me how much I miss Rosenblatt.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

Playing at TD Ameritrade is going to be a wake up call for some of these teams... Whether lack of HR's or pitching woes. It is not a friendly ballpark. A lot of space on that field.

Which reminds me how much I miss Rosenblatt.

UT’s guy Melendez could smash plenty out of that park.  That dude is amazing to watch.  The bomb he hit over the trees and deep into the parking lot vs ECU was fantastic.  I thought it was a 500ft bomb

Maaaan A&M is playing with house money at this point. This season (and next) were supposed to be bad, rebuilding seasons. The fact that the team made the postseason (much less as a host, much less as a national seed), won the West, and made it to Omaha is quite a pleasant surprise. At this point, what happens happens. Should be a fun weekend/week of baseball!

• Like 1