Official 2022 NCAA Baseball Playoff Thread

27 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Maaaan A&M is playing with house money at this point. This season (and next) were supposed to be bad, rebuilding seasons. The fact that the team made the postseason (much less as a host, much less as a national seed), won the West, and made it to Omaha is quite a pleasant surprise. At this point, what happens happens. Should be a fun weekend/week of baseball!

That's what makes baseball such a great sport! The Braves had no business winning the World Series at the point of last years All-Star break. You just never know.

This season results are going to be huge for A&M on the recruiting/transfer front. They also are getting some major facility upgrades. I expect Schloss to make some noise again in the transfer market this off-season. 

Where I like Texas against the field is their run through the CWS last season. The atmosphere and big stage shouldn’t  phase this team. These guys face elimination, rain delays, and a very pro Miss St crowd last year and didn’t flinch. 

Luke Harrison and Marcus Oliveraz are the only 2 guys that might get action that we’re not on the team last season. I expect to see the same Texas team we’ve seen all year as far as hitting and defense goes. I hope the pitching is better than what we’ve seen haha. 

That doesn’t mean Texas will win it all but I don’t think we’ll see nerves or jitters affect them. 

14 hours ago, WETSU said:

This season results are going to be huge for A&M on the recruiting/transfer front. They also are getting some major facility upgrades. I expect Schloss to make some noise again in the transfer market this off-season. 

A&M became a real baseball contender the moment they stole him from TCU

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

UT’s guy Melendez could smash plenty out of that park.  That dude is amazing to watch.  The bomb he hit over the trees and deep into the parking lot vs ECU was fantastic.  I thought it was a 500ft bomb

Was at a game in Austin where he hit a bomb over the wall in dead center. If you make a mistake, there is not a ballpark that is safe from his power. He has Robin Ventura power.

15 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

Where I like Texas against the field is their run through the CWS last season. The atmosphere and big stage shouldn’t  phase this team. These guys face elimination, rain delays, and a very pro Miss St crowd last year and didn’t flinch. 

Luke Harrison and Marcus Oliveraz are the only 2 guys that might get action that we’re not on the team last season. I expect to see the same Texas team we’ve seen all year as far as hitting and defense goes. I hope the pitching is better than what we’ve seen haha. 

That doesn’t mean Texas will win it all but I don’t think we’ll see nerves or jitters affect them. 

Agreed. A couple things on my end: Texas pitching has struggled giving up the long ball this year. I think Ameritrade gives them a little break there. A lot of people think the difference between last years CWS team and this years team is pitching, and while that's somewhat true (2021 - #1 ERA vs 2022 - #20ish era), what I think the difference has been is offense. The team last year really struggled at the plate, specifically with strikeouts. The improvement in the hitting department has been huge this year. I expect a lot of runs in Omaha. Biggest question is can the bullpen finish the work. We have to win Hansen's start tomorrow night.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

Oklahoma is playing some great baseball right now. Skip Johnson has built this team just like Augie built Texas but Skips guys can swing it too. 

That guy was about to lose his job in March too. Crazy.

5 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

Oklahoma is playing some great baseball right now. Skip Johnson has built this team just like Augie built Texas but Skips guys can swing it too. 

It’s interesting how small ball-oriented those Augie teams were. I wonder what would’ve happened if they ever played gorilla ball at the plate while pitching the way they did. 

Hats off to Notre Dame, pitched well and had timely hitting and aggressive base running. 
Hansen wasn’t what Texas needed and the offense hit the ball hard all night but couldn’t string together basehits. 

Texas doesn’t have the pitching to go through the losers bracket this year. Gordon can give them a good start in game 2 but he’s needs to go deep. It’s going to be a grind for Texas now. Offense has to do more. 

A&M had a lot of luck with some Texas leaguers and got some gutsy pitching performances when it mattered. Schloss made a really good call trusting Dallas to stretch it almost 2 innings farther than I thought he could. 

Texas had a good team this season but never seemed to find that killer instinct to either put teams away they should or come from behind in clutch moments. They are really the opposite of A&M who doesn’t do really anything particularly well except work the count but finds ways to win games when it matters. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, WETSU said:

A&M had a lot of luck with some Texas leaguers and got some gutsy pitching performances when it mattered. Schloss made a really good call trusting Dallas to stretch it almost 2 innings farther than I thought he could. 

Texas had a good team this season but never seemed to find that killer instinct to either put teams away they should or come from behind in clutch moments. They are really the opposite of A&M who doesn’t do really anything particularly well except work the count but finds ways to win games when it matters. 

I thought Schloss coached a great game and Dallas limited damage early and turned in a really good performance, I expected him to pitch agains OU. 

Regardless how they finish this year Schloss will be able to build a really good program at A&M. Not sure how many they’ll lose from this team but I know he’s recruited well. 

Texas will see a lot of new faces next year. Only Daly and Campbell expected back as position players but the pitching staff will bring back a lot. Only Hansen and Stevens are for sure gone. I bet the Horns will be very active in the portal. 

14 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

I thought Schloss coached a great game and Dallas limited damage early and turned in a really good performance, I expected him to pitch agains OU. 

Regardless how they finish this year Schloss will be able to build a really good program at A&M. Not sure how many they’ll lose from this team but I know he’s recruited well. 

Texas will see a lot of new faces next year. Only Daly and Campbell expected back as position players but the pitching staff will bring back a lot. Only Hansen and Stevens are for sure gone. I bet the Horns will be very active in the portal. 

I think both teams will go heavy portal this off-season. A&M needs some starting pitching and is losing some good bats. With the portal I expect both teams to be very attractive landing spots for some upper end experienced guys. 

• Like 1

Just now, JohnnyFootball said:

Glad to win a game. Ags battled today. 

Texas had their chances but couldn’t convert. Melendez was up with the bases loaded and took a tough strike 3 (which was low, admittedly). 

It was slightly low. But on a 1-2 count it’s one you HAVE to swing at in order to see another one. It was either the perfect strike or a great miss for the situation and the count. I don’t know what would have happened had he saw another pitch in terms of the game itself, but that’s baseball.