Official 2022 NCAA Baseball Playoff Thread

My only question about the Natty series is:

Where were all the Oklahoma fans?? With them winning the softball Natty and the baseball team's unforgettable late season ride into this Natty series I would've thought after they beat A&M there would've been a mass exodus from Oklahoma on the way to Omaha. I can't say they were busy partaking in the Jell-O Shot Challenge cause their number didn't change much. That didn't feel like typical Omaha, that felt like a series in Oxford, Mississippi. 

55 minutes ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

My only question about the Natty series is:

Where were all the Oklahoma fans?? With them winning the softball Natty and the baseball team's unforgettable late season ride into this Natty series I would've thought after they beat A&M there would've been a mass exodus from Oklahoma on the way to Omaha. I can't say they were busy partaking in the Jell-O Shot Challenge cause their number didn't change much. That didn't feel like typical Omaha, that felt like a series in Oxford, Mississippi. 

1. At least on a personal level, I have been burned by the football team too much to spend money to see a NC/playoff game in person. I can be pissed off for free at my house. 

2. I believe that is the first NC that Ole Miss has won in any men’s team sport. This was probably a much bigger deal to Ole Miss fans/alums than Oklahoma fans/alums.

3. Oklahoma is a football school when it comes to mens sports. They don’t support the others as well. 

• Like 2

First of all, I'll just say that Ole Miss deserved the MCWS title, they played clean baseball, had timely hits and OU hurt themselves in the Championship Series with errors and poor play not typical of their late-season play.  So hats off to the Ole Miss team.

But there was a couple of turning points in Game 2 that had they gone OU's way, might have led to an OU win and a Game 3, where anything could have happened.
The HUGE momentum swing at the top of the 6th inning comes to mind... I know the rules on runner interference, and the umpires applied the rule correctly.  Whether the rule should be re-written is up for debate, on at least a couple of different points:
1. What a change of momentum, and all for a rule that, IMO, and apparently the announcers agreed, desperately needs to be rewritten to allow an exception to the rule of runner interference when the runner is within a step of the base. 
2.  Ole Miss got the interference call because their pitcher made a bad throw to first - - the ball hit Spikerman in the leg (which was in foul territory).  Had the pitcher's throw been what would be regarded as a "normal" throw i.e. to the "field-side of the base - - there would have been no interference.  Whether Spikerman would have been thrown out or not, the run would have scored - in fact, it had ALREADY scored.
3. The part of the rule that negates the run on runner interference should be revised.  Whether Spikerman was out at first or not, interference or no interference, the run should have been allowed, as the runner from third had already crossed the plate and only one out at the time.  It's a punitive rule and should be corrected.

Here is something else to ponder while discussing the controversial call on the Spikerman bunt:

We all (at least most of us) know the rule on interference, and that's what's mostly been discussed, but did anyone notice how Skip Johnson was berating the umpire after the replay decision was announced? Let's assume that Skip is, more than anyone on this board, cognizant of the rules and their application. So why was he so vehement after the ruling from the review booth came down?

Here is a suggestion that I'd reckon had a good chance of being on-target:

The rule on challenges is that the challenge must be registered to the umpire before 30 seconds have elapsed after the play, and that the challenging entity (Ole Miss coach) must not have watched the replay.
Watching the replay on my DVR, it seemed to me more than 30 seconds passed before Ole Miss challenged the call, and THAT is what pissed Skip off! The challenge should not have been allowed due to expiration of the time limit (I have it on good authority that the Ole Miss coach watched two replays on the JumboTron before challenging).

OU got hosed.

Would it have made a difference in the eventual outcome?  Who knows, but BIG MO climbed on top of the Ole Miss contingent bigtime after that call.  The score would have been 1-0 OU's favor, one out and men on 2nd and 3rd, - - Instead, it wound up ending the inning with Graham flying to RF for the 3rd out, 0-0 at the end of 6.

On 6/26/2022 at 6:53 PM, Valhalla said:

1. At least on a personal level, I have been burned by the football team too much to spend money to see a NC/playoff game in person. I can be pissed off for free at my house. 

2. I believe that is the first NC that Ole Miss has won in any men’s team sport. This was probably a much bigger deal to Ole Miss fans/alums than Oklahoma fans/alums.

3. Oklahoma is a football school when it comes to mens sports. They don’t support the others as well. 

They claim 3 Football NCs, 

6 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

They claim 3 Football NCs, 

14 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

There is a difference in “winning” and claiming something that happened 80 years ago.

They did not finish #1 in the AP or Coaches Poll in any of those seasons.