Argyle clinches Lone Star Cup for 10th Straight Time

regaleagle

Argyle High School blitzed Class 4A in the UIL Academics category with the 282 pts.......the highest point total across all 6 classifications. They held a 122 point total to 2nd place Celina's 81 going into the final update of the standings with Softball, Baseball, and Academics being the only categories left.  The Argyle Girls Softball dropped their Regional Final Series to #1 Ranked Iowa Park and the Boys Baseball team leads in the Region 1 Playoff Series yet to be determined.  The final Lone Star Cup points totals are pending the baseball category points.  Argyle has an unsurmountable lead and has basically clinched their 12th overall Lone Star Cup in 16 seasons(2020 none was awarded) and 10th straight.  The Eagles will be jumping up to Class 5A in the 2022-23 school season to compete against schools like Highland Park, Lucas Lovejoy, and other previous winners of the Lone Star Cup in 5A. 

• Like 2

Honestly such a wild and drastically underrated accomplishment. I know football state championships is what gets all the hype and glory, but man, to perform at that high a level ACROSS the board in all sports, is simply remarkable. Congratulations again to Argyle. Will be interesting to see if they can keep the streak alive at the 5A level. My hunch is they can.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, LOL said:

It's amazing what you can accomplish when an entire community goes all-in on a school district. 

No doubt. Total buy-in across the board, and the students get to reap a ton of benefits. Fun to see.

Considering alot of those years Argyle was a D-2(or smaller enrollment) school in both 3A, and then 4A when they moved up everybody......they really did jump out there with the best in their classification.  They will need to do the same at the 5A level to keep pace.....it will be very difficult at that enrollment spread.  I noticed Abilene Wylie has had some trouble staying on top of D-2 in 5A, but Liberty Hill seems to have adjusted quite well.  Both have always been very good in football, girls basketball and volleyball.  I think Argyle will be able to perform in football, volleyball, basketball(both boys & girls) and baseball. Probably boys & girls golf, too.  And certainly the Academics categories which are huge in point totals and vast.

11 hours ago, regaleagle said:

Considering alot of those years Argyle was a D-2(or smaller enrollment) school in both 3A, and then 4A when they moved up everybody......they really did jump out there with the best in their classification.  They will need to do the same at the 5A level to keep pace.....it will be very difficult at that enrollment spread.  I noticed Abilene Wylie has had some trouble staying on top of D-2 in 5A, but Liberty Hill seems to have adjusted quite well.  Both have always been very good in football, girls basketball and volleyball.  I think Argyle will be able to perform in football, volleyball, basketball(both boys & girls) and baseball. Probably boys & girls golf, too.  And certainly the Academics categories which are huge in point totals and vast.

Argyle is in a much, much, much better position to succeed in football than Abilene Wylie is/was when they made the jump. Wylie would have trouble in 4A Div. I right now, to be honest.

On 6/8/2022 at 9:08 AM, d0tc0m said:

Argyle is in a much, much, much better position to succeed in football than Abilene Wylie is/was when they made the jump. Wylie would have trouble in 4A Div. I right now, to be honest.

Yep.....I'll hafta agree on that for sure.  Argyle's football program is really really top-notch now every season. The lines are the key, and Argyle has three 3-Stars coming back in the Top 100 in Texas.  That soph. class that will be juniors is just unbelievably big and talented too.  We don't really know yet, but I'ma thinkin' Argyle might make a run in the playoffs in 2022 in their first season in 5A.  They definitely have the personnel in place and the program to do it. Just not sure how cohesive and dedicated the next class is to get the job done.  Usually it takes a single mindset thru the spring and summer for a team to be ready to compete at the highest level today......and I'm not sure with all the distractions that this upcoming team is ready for that.

13 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Yep.....I'll hafta agree on that for sure.  Argyle's football program is really really top-notch now every season. The lines are the key, and Argyle has two 3-Stars coming back in the Top 100 in Texas.  That soph. class that will be juniors is just unbelievably big and talented too.  We don't really know yet, but I'ma thinkin' Argyle might make a run in the playoffs in 2022 in their first season in 5A.  They definitely have the personnel in place and the program to do it. Just not sure how cohesive and dedicated the next class is to get the job done.  Usually it takes a single mindset thru the spring and summer for a team to be ready to compete at the highest level today......and I'm not sure with all the distractions that this upcoming team is ready for that.

No doubt. Argyle does benefit from hopping into Region I, as opposed to the much tougher Region II. Poor Melissa will be up against it with Ennis, Mansfield Summit, Lovejoy, Corsicana, Dennison, Mesquite Poteet and some of the other East TX folks. Argyle will have to deal with Colleyville Heritage and a decent Grapevine squad. Apart from that, nobody really jumps out at you in Region I. I'm pretty sure Carrollton Creekview is the only team in the Eagles' district that had a winning record last season.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/8/2022 at 11:04 AM, d0tc0m said:

No doubt. Argyle does benefit from hopping into Region I, as opposed to the much tougher Region II. Poor Melissa will be up against it with Ennis, Mansfield Summit, Lovejoy, Corsicana, Dennison, Mesquite Poteet and some of the other East TX folks. Argyle will have to deal with Colleyville Heritage and a decent Grapevine squad. Apart from that, nobody really jumps out at you in Region I. I'm pretty sure Carrollton Creekview is the only team in the Eagles' district that had a winning record last season.

Melissa got skull drug by Frisco Memorial (non-playoff team) last year and then a month later skunked Argyle 21-0.  The jump from 4A to 5A ain't what it use to be with the division split, but it's still one of the biggest jumps.  Both Melissa and Argyle have their work cut out, but Argyle was given the golden brick road to the playoffs.  Melissa isn't in the toughest district, but with their rapid growth they should be OK and make the playoffs.

• Like 1

I think Melissa will continue to be very competitive in football at the 5A level......they just have too many quality athletes and a very stable program not to.  Their numbers will be good for sure, and at the 5A level that can only help.  Both Argyle and Melissa are as ready as any that are making that jump up to 5A this season, IMHO.  Good luck to the Melissa Cardinals this upcoming football season......they are a very impressive program.

18 hours ago, Leopard4Life said:

Melissa got skull drug by Frisco Memorial (non-playoff team) last year and then a month later skunked Argyle 21-0.  The jump from 4A to 5A ain't what it use to be with the division split, but it's still one of the biggest jumps.  Both Melissa and Argyle have their work cut out, but Argyle was given the golden brick road to the playoffs.  Melissa isn't in the toughest district, but with their rapid growth they should be OK and make the playoffs.

Skull Drug...really...LOL. Were you at that game? I was...It was 35-35 with 2 min left in 3rd q and 45-35 with 3 min left in game. I'd hardly call that skull drug. Memorial scored it's final 6 points on a pick-six with 30 sec left. Melissa was very very young and inexperienced starting a couple freshman, think the yardage was almost equal but turned the ball over on their side of the field 2 times and had 2 turnovers on downs on their side of the field.. also gave up a long KO return for TD.

Memorial started 4-1 and had a very talented QB who got hurt on 1st drive of game against Denison and season was done. Memorial never won another game. If QB stays healthy IMO they were a playoff team.

12 hours ago, regaleagle said:

I think Melissa will continue to be very competitive in football at the 5A level......they just have too many quality athletes and a very stable program not to.  Their numbers will be good for sure, and at the 5A level that can only help.  Both Argyle and Melissa are as ready as any that are making that jump up to 5A this season, IMHO.  Good luck to the Melissa Cardinals this upcoming football season......they are a very impressive program.

Thanks regal, The 1st 2 weeks will be tough, at Argyle and China Spring. Argyle almost impossible place to win and Eagles will have revenge on their mind. China Spring just added good QB transfer from Wimberly. Melissa will be very good in th trenches this year so these games will be a war. If Cards play like they did early last year will start 0-2 again.

On 7/7/2022 at 3:44 PM, Texski said:

Thanks regal, The 1st 2 weeks will be tough, at Argyle and China Spring. Argyle almost impossible place to win and Eagles will have revenge on their mind. China Spring just added good QB transfer from Wimberly. Melissa will be very good in th trenches this year so these games will be a war. If Cards play like they did early last year will start 0-2 again.

Both Argyle and Melissa need a QB to step up.  Argyle’s QB that took over after losing to Melissa was better but still not up to the level of past few Argyle QBs.  Melissa QB in the spring game was atrocious.  

On 7/7/2022 at 2:43 AM, regaleagle said:

They are guaranteed to make it to the semis in football

On 7/13/2022 at 10:58 AM, Footballalltheway said:

Both Argyle and Melissa need a QB to step up.  Argyle’s QB that took over after losing to Melissa was better but still not up to the level of past few Argyle QBs.  Melissa QB in the spring game was atrocious.  

Argyle has 2 really good throwing QB's in the mix waiting to spread their wings this season.  With the lines, I think the running game is relatively potent.....Argyle has lots of backs with speed and lots of quality speedy receivers too. Gotta have that accurate QB with arm strength to make those throws.  If he is mobile too.....that's a bonus.