Carthage Bulldogs

country

WR Montrel Hatten verbally committed to Oregon State last week.
He also has offers from Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State, TCU, and Texas Tech of the Big 12, Arkansas and Ole Miss of the SEC, and a dozen others - Boston College, Colorado, Colorado State, Georgia Tech, Houston, Louisiana Tech, North Texas, Prairie View, SMU, Texas State, UTSA, and Western Kentucky.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, cowboyandchrist said:

He is coming from Louisiana, that transfer rule does not apply to out of state kids

The kid never attended a school after Christmas Break last year. Transferred to Marshall and never went to class/school. Gonna be hard to get him eligible 

39 minutes ago, DeBerryJacket said:

The kid never attended a school after Christmas Break last year. Transferred to Marshall and never went to class/school. Gonna be hard to get him eligible 

A mere bump in the road for Carthage admin.  They are professionals DeBerryJacket!  Don’t insult them with your pessimistic talk.

• LOL! 2

3 hours ago, PantherNation2015 said:

A mere bump in the road for Carthage admin.  They are professionals DeBerryJacket!  Don’t insult them with your pessimistic talk.

We both know that one of the many ingredients to Coach Surratt’s success is knowing the rules forward and backward…and playing by them.

• Like 2

Very excited about the Marshall-Carthage game resuming.

The 2018 game was a great one.  Hoping for something like that again in 2022 and 2023.

While I really enjoyed the McKinney North games in 2020 and 2021 as a COVID replacement..... Carthage will definitely have more of rivalry/big game feel thanks to the crowd the Bulldogs will bring not to mention the proximity of the schools.  

With Tyler, Longview, and Carthage on the docket..... I honestly think Marshall has one of the toughest 5A Div II non-district schedules in the state. 

Iron sharpens Iron..... and all three games will make us better.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Very excited about the Marshall-Carthage game resuming.

The 2018 game was a great one.  Hoping for something like that again in 2022 and 2023.

While I really enjoyed the McKinney North games in 2020 and 2021 as a COVID replacement..... Carthage will definitely have more of rivalry/big game feel thanks to the crowd the Bulldogs will bring not to mention the proximity of the schools.  

With Tyler, Longview, and Carthage on the docket..... I honestly think Marshall has one of the toughest 5A Div II non-district schedules in the state. 

Iron sharpens Iron..... and all three games will make us better.

I couldn’t agree more. I don’t see any reason for these teams not to play one another with the short distance and quality of the programs. It can only help them both

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mikehoncho said:

I couldn’t agree more. I don’t see any reason for these teams not to play one another with the short distance and quality of the programs. It can only help them both

With 54% enrollment Carthage has compared to Marshall, it should be a win for Marshall……….Marshall has about 67% enrollment of Longview and the size difference is the reason Longview wins, according to the Mav. experts. 

43 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

With 54% enrollment Carthage has compared to Marshall, it should be a win for Marshall……….Marshall has about 67% enrollment of Longview and the size difference is the reason Longview wins, according to the Mav. experts. 

I wouldn't say it's THE REASON.  It's multi-faceted.  

Without a doubt it's a factor.  LHS has 800 more students than MHS.  No one can argue that's not a huge advantage.

But the biggest factor....IMHO...is coaching.  Coach King's longevity at LHS has no doubt lead to unprecedented stability in the staff there.  Who in East Texas has had the stability in their staff that Longview has had?  Probably can't name one. 

In the same time King has been there.... Marshall has seen Rodney Southern, Thedrick Harris, Alex Richters, Clint Harper,   Claude Mathis, Jake Greidl, and now Jack Alvarez.  The fact that we've only had 3 losing seasons amongst all that change is unreal.  Every single one of those Mav coaches had at least one appearance in regional playoffs except one.  They all had winning records except one. 

Another factor is simply where the Lobos are right now.  They are in a stratosphere that no one in  East Texas 5A/6A can compete with.   Too much talent.  Add that with coaching....and numbers.... and there you go.

Who in East Texas has really tested Longview in the last decade plus? 
The Tyler schools?  Nope.  Legacy has especially laid an egg.  Tyler is inconsistent Vs. them.
Lufkin?  Hasn't been competitive with Longview in a long long time.
Texas High?  Negative.  Haven't beat Longview in decades.
Marshall? Rarely competitive.  Even in our successful playoff seasons.
Whitehouse?  Hallsville?  Sulphur Springs? Jacksonville?  Mt Pleasant?  Pine Tree?  All a combined 0 wins.

Lobos are just another level right now.  It is what it is.

So no...... I don't think the bigger enrollment is THE ONLY reason they have dominated.  But sure it's a factor.  But seeing how well they have done against schools their size (Lufkin, Tyler, Legacy).... it's clearly NOT just a numbers/enrollment game.

JMHO.

Meanwhile.....back to Carthage.....

1 hour ago, cotton84 said:

Cotton, you were just trying to make a point, but we all know Carthage isn’t a normal 4A team.

We can’t say X team is double the enrollment size of Carthage, so it should be a win; it doesn’t work that way when comparing the Bulldogs to other schools.

I think trying to take a small jab at MHS saying they should win due to the advantage they have in enrollment size doesn’t quite play, especially when Carthage is the other team in the conversation.

I think you agree with that and were just messing with the Mav faithful.

Go Dawgs!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

On 8/6/2022 at 4:06 PM, cotton84 said:

Cotton84 - how many Sophomores will Carthage start this year?  Seems like I remember seeing 2-3 get some snaps in the playoffs.

14 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

Cotton84 - how many Sophomores will Carthage start this year?  Seems like I remember seeing 2-3 get some snaps in the playoffs.

My guess is at least 3 sophs/fresh, and probably 4 or 5..............One of those you remember might change positions, but I have not started my Tuesday night phone calls yet.............I do know that Carthage's offense will miss the guy who was behind all of the offensive play calling in recent years.

16 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

My guess is at least 3 sophs/fresh, and probably 4 or 5..............One of those you remember might change positions, but I have not started my Tuesday night phone calls yet.............I do know that Carthage's offense will miss the guy who was behind all of the offensive play calling in recent years.

My recollection is that the first sub on the D-line last year was a freshman...and all of last year's starters on the D-line are now gone.

Also, there was a very athletic-looking freshman who played some TE during the playoffs.  My guess is he will likely be a starting DT this year.

My memory about observations from several months ago isn't as good as your phone calls, but until you start making them...

Just now, BevBrownJr said:

My recollection is that the first sub on the D-line last year was a freshman...and all of last year's starters on the D-line are now gone.

Also, there was a very athletic-looking freshman who played some TE during the playoffs.  My guess is he will likely be a starting DT this year.

My memory about observations from several months ago isn't as good as your phone calls, but until you start making them...

Meant DE, not DT...but who knows