Student Loans This High

DannyZuco

Un-freaking believable--how could someone rack up $323,000 dollars worth of student debt--and still be a teacher. People have no common sense when it comes to education--work as you go, save and don't spend. Apply for scholarships and grants, but borrowing $323,000 dollars to get an education degree and masters--that is just plan STUPID!!!!!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/careersandeducation/meet-a-teacher-with-303-000-in-student-debt-who-says-biden-s-10-000-loan-forgiveness-plan-is-not-even-a-drop-in-the-bucket/ar-AAY6vJH?cvid=a65803615f2345c6beeb8d003078b1f8

If it weren't for compounding interest, Cheryl — who requested her last name be withheld for privacy concerns — thinks President Joe Biden's plans to forgive $10,000 in student debt for federal borrowers might have made a difference for her. 

But with $303,000 in federal student debt — and an additional $20,000 in private student loans — the president's plan just isn't enough.

"It is not even a drop in the bucket," Cheryl, 53, told Insider. "If you wanted to make a real difference, you could do away with half the interest we've accrued, but for now I'll never be able to cover the payments."

I have to wonder "WHAT school did she attend to rack up that much debt?"

Shame On You How Dare You GIF - ShameOnYou HowDareYou Smh - Discover &  Share GIFs | Dentistry student, Pediatric dentistry, Shame

• Like 1

I'm betting she went to some big time college and stayed for an extensive time...changed her major several times and maybe got worthless degrees that she couldn't find a job with and finally became a teacher. Most likely used a lot of the "free" money to live on and party with...now that the bill comes due she wants to dodge her responsibility...there's lots and lots of folks in the same boat. Now they want the tax payers to pay their bills.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DannyZuco said:

Un-freaking believable--how could someone rack up $323,000 dollars worth of student debt--and still be a teacher. People have no common sense when it comes to education--work as you go, save and don't spend. Apply for scholarships and grants, but borrowing $323,000 dollars to get an education degree and masters--that is just plan STUPID!!!!!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/careersandeducation/meet-a-teacher-with-303-000-in-student-debt-who-says-biden-s-10-000-loan-forgiveness-plan-is-not-even-a-drop-in-the-bucket/ar-AAY6vJH?cvid=a65803615f2345c6beeb8d003078b1f8

If it weren't for compounding interest, Cheryl — who requested her last name be withheld for privacy concerns — thinks President Joe Biden's plans to forgive $10,000 in student debt for federal borrowers might have made a difference for her. 

But with $303,000 in federal student debt — and an additional $20,000 in private student loans — the president's plan just isn't enough.

"It is not even a drop in the bucket," Cheryl, 53, told Insider. "If you wanted to make a real difference, you could do away with half the interest we've accrued, but for now I'll never be able to cover the payments."

Shame On You How Dare You GIF - ShameOnYou HowDareYou Smh - Discover &  Share GIFs | Dentistry student, Pediatric dentistry, Shame

I also wonder what school she attended for that much debt or if she changed her major several times as many students do.  To become a teacher one can go to almost any state school where tuition is far less.  On top of that she's 53 now.  She could have attained her Masters by the time she was 27, and tuition wasn't that high back in the late 80's when she began college.  SMU's tuition was only $10,000 a semester then, but now it's $50,000 a year, but you don't attend SMU to become a teacher.  

On 6/5/2022 at 11:56 AM, DannyZuco said:

I owe about the same on my house.  Really tired of paying on it. Mr. President can you pay my loan off. I don't think it's fair a decision I made on my own and affects only me, should be something I have to live with. 

I'll think about voting for you if you do 

What did she study to rack up, and still owe, $303,000 at age 53?

Me:
High school diploma, went to 1 semester of college first year out of high school (paid out of pocket for a couple of other classes when I was older), went to a 10-month "crash course" tech school that's no longer in business.

Worked my way from fast food into tech. I'm almost 46, have less than $20,000 left on my current mortgage, a paid-for car, and make in the low six-figures.

My wife:
Went to a smaller college in Pennsylvania, got a 4-year degree in Economics. ZERO student debt. She's a stay at home mom, and home schools our son. ALSO a paid for car.

I don't say that to brag, just to state facts.