Proposals before UIL this summer.... what do you think?

Mavchamp

The UIL has several proposals before them this summer... but here are a couple of the big ones that are making some buzz.  What do you think about each?

1.  Proposal to allow 6th grade athletes to participate in middle school sports at the 1A level.

2.  Proposal to prohibit freshman from playing on varsity sports

3.  Proposal to change soccer into a fall sport.

4.  Proposal to add a shot clock to basketball 

I have no problems with 1, 3, and 4. I actually think 4 is needed. I hate all that stalling in basketball. 2 is a different ballgame. You have some freshman whose bodies are very mature for their age. If they are just talking about football. I could see where they are going with it. But other sports. It really isn't a issue. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

The UIL has several proposals before them this summer... but here are a couple of the big ones that are making some buzz.  What do you think about each?

1.  Proposal to allow 6th grade athletes to participate in middle school sports at the 1A level.

1.  I have to plead some ignorance about 1A sports..... but if 1A schools have trouble making varsity and JV teams with 4 grades (9-12)... then it only makes sense they would have even more trouble forming teams for only 2 grades (7 & 8).  I'm guessing the biggest issue is safety.  There can be a HUGE size difference in a 6th grader and an 8th grader.  Obviously that would have to be taken into consideration by the coaching staff.  A small 6th grader that hasn't had a growth spurt yet Vs. an 8th grader that has already had one.... that's a recipe for injury.  But as long as some common sense (does that still exist) is used..... I don't see why it would be a problem for the state's smallest schools.  VOTE YES.

2.  This ruling could be devastating to some smaller schools.... 1A, 2A...... I'm sure freshmen dot their rosters in EVERY sport.  I'm sure it's less common in the bigger schools....but it's not unheard of.  We've seen freshmen start in some positions at Longview.... Lufkin... Marshall....   TBH... this is a terrible rule IMHO.  If the kid is big enough.... fast enough.... and talented enough to play with the varsity as a freshman... he should have that chance.  VOTE NO.

3.  Selfishly I'd love to see it happen because I LOATH soccer games being played in 30-40 degree weather.  BUT.....logistically I think it's impossible for several reasons.   First.... a lot of soccer coaches are coaches for other sports that are already playing in the fall (football, cross county, volleyball).  Especially at the smaller soccer schools.  Secondly..... facilities would be an issue.  Some schools have the facilities so that soccer and football could be played simultaneously (Longview, Lufkin, Marshall)..... but fact is.... most DON'T.  For a lot of schools...football and soccer are played in the same stadiums.  Unless they moved soccer to Tuesdays and Saturdays, it would be difficult.  Especially for districts that have 3-4 schools using a single stadium (Mesquite Memorial, Plano's Clark). VOTE NO.

4.  YES YES YES YES YES.  I cannot stand when a team's entire strategy is to play keep away and never take a shot.  It's ridiculous.  It's lazy coaching.....  VOTE YES.

28 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

1. The majority of those 1A schools aren't playing football (if any), so from the size difference standpoint, no physical contact should be taking place.  This looks like it's just going to be non-contact sports and I would see no problem with it.

2. I agree with the sentiment of everyone, freshmen are needed to fill out rosters on a lot of teams and a lot of freshmen are large for their age, therefore I would vote against this one.

3. Who cares - but only issue I would see is scheduling conflicts for the fields.

4. Please for the love of God add the shot clock!!! Only issue I see here is now having to make sure 3 people are at the scoring table - scoreboard operator, official scorebook person, & shot clock operator - yes the scoreboard person can operate but too much going on at the end of the game to have 1 person screw it all up by not resetting the shot clock 

The "who cares" responses to soccer are puzzling considering the THOUSANDS of players that participate in it annually.  It's not a small number.

Sure...it's not a cash cow like football and basketball..... but don't those athletes deserve the same consideration?

I'm willing to bet attendance at soccer playoffs is bigger than baseball and softball in most cases.

I'm thinking lots of people care....... jmho.

Guest Tiger03lb

1. Yes

2. No, there would be trouble even in 3a schools with that. We had a freshman fill in and start at the end of the season at db. I feel like if they can play at the speed of varsity and compete let them

3. I don't watch soccer, the one sport I never could get into watching

4. Yes

3 minutes ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

Do y'all know the % of these things that ever actually pass??? 😂😂😂

Very low.

But the shot clock should be a serious consideration.

Barring freshman.....I would think would have VERY LITTLE traction.  I'm curious as to the root of that proposal.

Soccer in the fall would be great IMHO.  I would prefer it.  But it would be a logistical nightmare for scheduling.  Not to mention....... we might wouldn't see another PAT made again lmaooooo

• Like 1

6th graders playing football has happened at 2A schools in years past…….There is a clause/rule where if a school doesn’t have a certain number of (like 17) 7th and 8th graders playing football, then 6th graders can be added. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

1. At one time 6,7 & 8th grades was part of Junior High at least it was when I went to school, 6th grader rode the bench anyhow

2. If Freshman are good enough they should be able to play varsity.... IF Mike Reason & Chan Amie at Waskom

3. One of the reason Waskom started Soccer was to encourage Hispanic students to play football. Seems the fall would interfere with field use at least at the smaller schools

4. I'm all for the shot clock 

This may sound crazy, but just finding competent clock operators is an issue in a lot of places....and they don't have to reset the clock constantly.  I can see some real issues with shot clock problems and I'm not just talking small schools.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Destry said:

Have y’all given any thought that these things come from someone in power complaining about something not going their way?

The proposal to ban freshmen from varsity screams of that IMHO. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

1. No

2. No

3. No

4. Yes

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

4.  YES YES YES YES YES.  I cannot stand when a team's entire strategy is to play keep away and never take a shot.  It's ridiculous.  It's lazy coaching.....  VOTE YES.

Do you also require a football team playing a superior opponent to run a hurry up offense and only pass the ball? When you play against a team that's better than you slowing down the game and staying close is a sign of a coach being smart, not lazy. I understand your argument, I just hate to see the run and chunk it up style of play that's inevitable when a shot clock is added. At least for a few years the quality of basketball will suffer at the high school level. All that said I hate the stand and hold the ball at half court as much as anyone. I love, however, watching a well coached team run 60-90 seconds of a motion offense working to get a layup. Id like to see a rule that prevents the stall while still allows a team to possess the ball for a long time. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, trashyhound said:

Do you also require a football team playing a superior opponent to run a hurry up offense and only pass the ball? When you play against a team that's better than you slowing down the game and staying close is a sign of a coach being smart, not lazy. I understand your argument, I just hate to see the run and chunk it up style of play that's inevitable when a shot clock is added. At least for a few years the quality of basketball will suffer at the high school level. All that said I hate the stand and hold the ball at half court as much as anyone. I love, however, watching a well coached team run 60-90 seconds of a motion offense working to get a layup. Id like to see a rule that prevents the stall while still allows a team to possess the ball for a long time. 

I don’t know how you could prevent teams from stalling, while simultaneously allowing a team long periods of possession each time down the court.

Those are two opposing actions that just can’t take place within the same set of rules for the game, it’s impossible.

I’ve always hated playing Pleasant Grove as a Carthage fan, because we know they’re going to running the play clock all the way down to 1 on every snap with only one goal in mind, and that is to keep Carthage’s offense off the field.

PG’s defense and offense both are mostly concerned about the Bulldogs’ offense.

PG’s offensive priorities are 1A) to score and 1B to keep the ball for as long as possible every time they gain possession.

I understand why they (PG) do it, and/but allowing a basketball team to just pass the ball around playing keep away where scoring is almost a secondary goal and dang near their main objective is to keep the more talented team from having the ball - that’s just not good, it’s not basketball.

Professional and collegiate basketball initiated the shot clock for really good reasons.

One of those reasons is it generally allows the cream to rise to the top and you know without a doubt who the better team is, just look at the scoreboard.

Guarantee if PG and Carthage had the same time of possession in a football game PG wouldn’t be within three touchdowns of Carthage, and that includes 2018.

However, since football isn’t set up like the NBA where the possession switches often PG is able to play keep away.

5 minutes ago, JasonDellaRosa said:

The difference is that football essentially has a shot clock.

The team that wins the coin toss and receives the kickoff can't run in to the line for three yards and then not take another snap for the rest of the quarter.

Exactly 

2 minutes ago, JasonDellaRosa said:

The difference is that football essentially has a shot clock.

The team that wins the coin toss and receives the kickoff can't run in to the line for three yards and then not take another snap for the rest of the quarter.

Well, that’s sort of accurate.

If you can average 3-1/2 yards per play you can easily kill almost an entire quarter of the game if you start a drive inside your own 15 and extremely methodically drive the field.

The football play clock is not nearly as effective at switching possession as the shot clock in basketball, and it’s not meant to be, but I wish we could somehow make it more so.