Jump to content

Proposals before UIL this summer.... what do you think?


Recommended Posts

A basketball shot clock does not have to be 24 or 30 seconds. A 40 second shot clock(or some number close to that) would give motion offenses plenty of time to be methodical but also sorta guarantee several possessions each quarter. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I don’t know how you could prevent teams from stalling, while simultaneously allowing a team long periods of possession each time down the court.

Those are two opposing actions that just can’t take place within the same set of rules for the game, it’s impossible.

I’ve always hated playing Pleasant Grove as a Carthage fan, because we know they’re going to running the play clock all the way down to 1 on every snap with only one goal in mind, and that is to keep Carthage’s offense off the field.

PG’s defense and offense both are mostly concerned about the Bulldogs’ offense.

PG’s offensive priorities are 1A) to score and 1B to keep the ball for as long as possible every time they gain possession.

I understand why they (PG) do it, and/but allowing a basketball team to just pass the ball around playing keep away where scoring is almost a secondary goal and dang near their main objective is to keep the more talented team from having the ball - that’s just not good, it’s not basketball.

Professional and collegiate basketball initiated the shot clock for really good reasons.

One of those reasons is it generally allows the cream to rise to the top and you know without a doubt who the better team is, just look at the scoreboard.

Guarantee if PG and Carthage had the same time of possession in a football game PG wouldn’t be within three touchdowns of Carthage, and that includes 2018.

However, since football isn’t set up like the NBA where the possession switches often PG is able to play keep away.

I hear ya,  but I actually enjoy watching lesser teams win with strategy.  I don't agree that the team with the best offense should win,  is the team that plays within the rules to best suit their players.  

In bball, I think you could have a rule where a paint touch or getting the ball inside the 3 point line resets the clock.  That would separate the "we refuse to shoot" teams from those working for a quality shot.  

The shot clocks gives an advantage to those who can run faster and jump higher and punishes those who would benefit using a disciplined motion offense.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

A basketball shot clock does not have to be 24 or 30 seconds. A 40 second shot clock(or some number close to that) would give motion offenses plenty of time to be methodical but also sorta guarantee several possessions each quarter. 

Agreed

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, trashyhound said:

Do you also require a football team playing a superior opponent to run a hurry up offense and only pass the ball? When you play against a team that's better than you slowing down the game and staying close is a sign of a coach being smart, not lazy. I understand your argument, I just hate to see the run and chunk it up style of play that's inevitable when a shot clock is added. At least for a few years the quality of basketball will suffer at the high school level. All that said I hate the stand and hold the ball at half court as much as anyone. I love, however, watching a well coached team run 60-90 seconds of a motion offense working to get a layup. Id like to see a rule that prevents the stall while still allows a team to possess the ball for a long time. 

Slowing the game down is one thing…. NOT playing the game is another.  And I’ve seen the latter happen.

Slowing down and stalling are not the same imho.

And I think most people agree….. a 150-25 score is more of an indictment of the winning coach than the outmanned team.

Passing the ball around and not setting up an offense with the intent to score isn’t playing basketball.

The shot clock will still allow teams to slow the game down by not taking quick shots… but not still forces them to at least try. 

JMHO

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

Slowing the game down is one thing…. NOT playing the game is another.  And I’ve seen the latter happen.

Slowing down and stalling are not the same imho.

And I think most people agree….. a 150-25 score is more of an indictment of the winning coach than the outmanned team.

Passing the ball around and not setting up an offense with the intent to score isn’t playing basketball.

The shot clock will still allow teams to slow the game down by not taking quick shots… but not still forces them to at least try. 

JMHO

Agreed.  

I just think that any length shot clock will speed up the game.  Probably don't affect many teams,  but some of my favorite teams to watch are the ones that run great offense for long stretches. 

BTW,  playing defense is also part of the game so I also say if you want the ball take it from them.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/8/2022 at 4:40 PM, Mavchamp said:

The UIL has several proposals before them this summer... but here are a couple of the big ones that are making some buzz.  What do you think about each?

1.  Proposal to allow 6th grade athletes to participate in middle school sports at the 1A level.

2.  Proposal to prohibit freshman from playing on varsity sports

3.  Proposal to change soccer into a fall sport.

4.  Proposal to add a shot clock to basketball 

1.  Who cares

2.  Never happen

3.  Who cares

4.  Better happen

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, trashyhound said:

I hear ya,  but I actually enjoy watching lesser teams win with strategy.  I don't agree that the team with the best offense should win,  is the team that plays within the rules to best suit their players.  

In bball, I think you could have a rule where a paint touch or getting the ball inside the 3 point line resets the clock.  That would separate the "we refuse to shoot" teams from those working for a quality shot.  

The shot clocks gives an advantage to those who can run faster and jump higher and punishes those who would benefit using a disciplined motion offense.  

I like your above post, and I do enjoy seeing a less talented team play within the rules of the game and maximize their chances against a more naturally talented team.

I was just saying I wish the game couldn’t be ground down quite so bad in the process of one team slowing down the tempo.

Here’s a proposal I’d like to put forward:

For 4A and above, all semifinal and state championship football games will be played indoors.

I feel when you’re that deep in the playoffs no team needs to gain an advantage due to weather.

Yes, both teams are on the same field in the same elements, but a team who only runs the ball playing against a team who passes often in 30 mile per hour winds has a huge advantage that particular night. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/8/2022 at 4:40 PM, Mavchamp said:

The UIL has several proposals before them this summer... but here are a couple of the big ones that are making some buzz.  What do you think about each?

1.  Proposal to allow 6th grade athletes to participate in middle school sports at the 1A level.

2.  Proposal to prohibit freshman from playing on varsity sports

3.  Proposal to change soccer into a fall sport.

4.  Proposal to add a shot clock to basketball 

1) Sure.

2) Stupid, stupid and stupid. Heck no.

3) Also no. Football in the fall, Futbol in the spring. I thoroughly love going to Lobo soccer games, and that would be impossible if things switched to the fall.

4) Yes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I like your above post, and I do enjoy seeing a less talented team play within the rules of the game and maximize their chances against a more naturally talented team.

I was just saying I wish the game couldn’t be ground down quite so bad in the process of one team slowing down the tempo.

Here’s a proposal I’d like to put forward:

For 4A and above, all semifinal and state championship football games will be played indoors.

I feel when you’re that deep in the playoffs no team needs to gain an advantage due to weather.

Yes, both teams are on the same field in the same elements, but a team who only runs the ball playing against a team who passes often in 30 mile per hour winds has a huge advantage that particular night. 

 

Agreed.  There needs to be a balance between refusing to shoot the ball and running jack it up offense.  

 

I like your football idea,  no reason for bad weather to decide championships

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I like your above post, and I do enjoy seeing a less talented team play within the rules of the game and maximize their chances against a more naturally talented team.

I was just saying I wish the game couldn’t be ground down quite so bad in the process of one team slowing down the tempo.

Here’s a proposal I’d like to put forward:

For 4A and above, all semifinal and state championship football games will be played indoors.

I feel when you’re that deep in the playoffs no team needs to gain an advantage due to weather.

Yes, both teams are on the same field in the same elements, but a team who only runs the ball playing against a team who passes often in 30 mile per hour winds has a huge advantage that particular night. 

 

Why does it have to be for 4a and above? How about all classes play indoors. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/8/2022 at 4:40 PM, Mavchamp said:

The UIL has several proposals before them this summer... but here are a couple of the big ones that are making some buzz.  What do you think about each?

1.  Proposal to allow 6th grade athletes to participate in middle school sports at the 1A level.

2.  Proposal to prohibit freshman from playing on varsity sports

3.  Proposal to change soccer into a fall sport.

4.  Proposal to add a shot clock to basketball 

I say NO to the second one; The fourth one turns games in favor of great offensive teams and hurts great defensive teams. I say NO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, VonG said:

Why does it have to be for 4a and above? How about all classes play indoors. 

Just scheduling and venue availability is what I was thinking about, but heck yes, if all classifications could could play semifinals as well as the title games indoors that’d be for the best. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not a Soccer fan, to boring for me, unless they play indoor. Day light and dark is the difference. Indoor is fast and scoring a bunch. The sound effects are cool. You can hear the kicks and when the ball wacks the wall. 
As far as freshmen on varsity, if they have the size, speed, and mentality, then yes. 
Shot clock in Basketball, yes please. 
Boring when they stall, make them shoot. Run and gun Tatum style, that is fun to watch. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The disdain in East Texas for soccer is silly (I used to act the same way, ignorant).

Y’all need to watch what these dudes do with a soccer ball.
The skills these guys possess exemplifies athleticism, stamina and working within the team.

I do understand where you’re coming from, because I used to feel the same way until the city folk in DFW learned me up on soccer.
Soccer is an awesome sport if you’d just give it a chance, and give yourself a chance to understand the game; you’ll quickly appreciate the players for their skill.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

The disdain in East Texas for soccer is silly (I used to act the same way, ignorant).

Y’all need to watch what these dudes do with a soccer ball.
The skills these guys possess exemplifies athleticism, stamina and working within the team.

I do understand where you’re coming from, because I used to feel the same way until the city folk in DFW learned me up on soccer.
Soccer is an awesome sport if you’d just give it a chance, and give yourself a chance to understand the game; you’ll quickly appreciate the players for their skill.

You’re wasting your breath.

The same folks that say “who cares” to anything concerning soccer are the same ones that generally vote….

Nvm.  You already know. 😂

  • Like 1
  • LOL! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

The disdain in East Texas for soccer is silly (I used to act the same way, ignorant).

Y’all need to watch what these dudes do with a soccer ball.
The skills these guys possess exemplifies athleticism, stamina and working within the team.

I do understand where you’re coming from, because I used to feel the same way until the city folk in DFW learned me up on soccer.
Soccer is an awesome sport if you’d just give it a chance, and give yourself a chance to understand the game; you’ll quickly appreciate the players for their skill.

Absolute facts. It’s a fantastic game, especially if you have a vested interest in it.

Our playoff run in 2021 was just an absolute blast.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

The disdain in East Texas for soccer is silly (I used to act the same way, ignorant).

Y’all need to watch what these dudes do with a soccer ball.
The skills these guys possess exemplifies athleticism, stamina and working within the team.

I do understand where you’re coming from, because I used to feel the same way until the city folk in DFW learned me up on soccer.
Soccer is an awesome sport if you’d just give it a chance, and give yourself a chance to understand the game; you’ll quickly appreciate the players for their skill.

I watched plenty of Soccer, my step son was on the junior Olympic travel team. 
Boring until it went indoor, now that is exciting Soccer. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

I watched plenty of Soccer, my step son was on the junior Olympic travel team. 
Boring until it went indoor, now that is exciting Soccer. 

I love all soccer.

Played indoor soccer in DFW for over a decade until moving back to East Texas recently.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

The disdain in East Texas for soccer is silly (I used to act the same way, ignorant).

Y’all need to watch what these dudes do with a soccer ball.
The skills these guys possess exemplifies athleticism, stamina and working within the team.

I do understand where you’re coming from, because I used to feel the same way until the city folk in DFW learned me up on soccer.
Soccer is an awesome sport if you’d just give it a chance, and give yourself a chance to understand the game; you’ll quickly appreciate the players for their skill.

Yea, it ranks right up there with watching a stirred up fire ant mound for two hours .... :rofl:

Edited by KirtFalcon
yo mama
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/8/2022 at 4:56 PM, CUJONATION83 said:

Proposal 1 would really hurt small schools across the state. Freshman are needed at some schools to just fill out a roster in alot of sports. That one will NOT pass. Proposal 3 will cause conflicts as well. 4 is needed. 

What would be the conflict with 3?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, cujoforlife said:

What would be the conflict with 3?

Alot of small schools don't have the facilities to do soccer and football at the same time. On top of sharing kids between sports as well. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CUJONATION83 said:

Alot of small schools don't have the facilities to do soccer and football at the same time. On top of sharing kids between sports as well. 

Most small schools don’t have soccer to begin with. So I don’t see where the problem will be. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...