Sinton(35-1) vs Argyle(35-3-1) for the Class 4A Baseball State Championship

regaleagle

13 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

This guy behind the plate is not consistent in his calls......and he's crazy about calling strikes waaay out of the strike zone on the corners......2 feet out.

2 feet seems excessive.  If it’s close, and you know the zone is wide, you better get a piece of the ball.  Or go down swinging.

41 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

Sinton is just on another level this year

Whether you believe it or not Sinton was on this same level last year. Thanks to a little good fortune and JD Thompson being on an even higher level, they came up short. We had zero business beating them. 

11 hours ago, ronstopable said:

Whether you believe it or not Sinton was on this same level last year. Thanks to a little good fortune and JD Thompson being on an even higher level, they came up short. We had zero business beating them. 

You are so right.  

Sinton’s Blake Mitchell is Named Texas Gatorade Player of the Year

Press Release

In its 37th year of honoring the nation’s best high school athletes, Gatorade today
announced Blake Mitchell of Sinton High School is the 2021-22 Gatorade Texas Baseball Player of the Year.  Mitchell is the first Gatorade Texas Baseball Player of the Year to be chosen from Sinton High School.

The award, which recognizes not only outstanding athletic excellence, but also high standards of academic achievement and exemplary character demonstrated on and off the field, distinguishes Mitchell as Texas’s best high school baseball player. Now a finalist for the prestigious Gatorade National Baseball Player of the Year award to be announced in June, Mitchell joins an elite alumni association of state award-winners in 12 sports, includingDerek Jeter (1991-92, Kalamazoo High School, Mich.), Jon Lester (2001-02, Bellarmine Preparatory School, Wash.), David Price (2003-04, Blackman High School, Tenn.), Clayton Kershaw (2005-06, Highland Park High School, Texas), Rick Porcello (2006-2007, Seaton Hall Preparatory School, N.J.) and Kris Bryant (2009-10, Bonanza
High School, Nev.).

Blake MitchellThe 6-foot-2, 200-pound junior catcher, shortstop and right-handed pitcher batted .449 with five home runs, 39 RBI and a 1.492 OPS through 35 games, leading the Pirates to the Class 4A regional finals, scheduled for June 4. The nation’s No. 4 prospect in the Class of 2023 as rated by the Prep Baseball Report and the ranked No. 6 in the country by Perfect Game, Mitchell also drew 28 walks and scored 37 runs. On the mound, he posted a 4-0 record with a 0.59 ERA along with 54 strikeouts and just seven walks in 23.2 innings, holding opposing hitters to a .100 batting average.

A member of the National Honor Society, Mitchell has volunteered locally delivering gifts to underprivileged youth during the holidays and has donated his time to an elementary school literacy-outreach program. “Blake Mitchell can do it all,” said Wade McDaniel, head coach at Roy Miller High School. “He pitches, he catches, he plays shortstop, he hits rockets from the left side and he possesses great power at the plate. He is by far the best player that I’ve seen in my 25 years coaching at the high school level.”

Mitchell has maintained a 4.43 GPA in the classroom. He has made a verbal commitment to play baseball on scholarship at Louisiana State University beginning in the fall of 2023.

The Gatorade Player of the Year program annually recognizes one winner in the District of Columbia and each of the 50 states that sanction high school football, girls volleyball, boys and girls cross country, boys and girls basketball, boys and girls soccer, baseball, softball, and boys and girls track & field, and awards one National Player of the Year in each sport. The selection process is administered by the Gatorade Player of the Year Selection Committee, which leverages experts including coaches, scouts, media and others as sources to help evaluate and determine the state winners in each sport.
Mitchell joins recent Gatorade Texas Baseball Players of the Year Jordan Lawlar (2020-21, Jesuit College Preparatory School of Dallas), Jared Kelley (2019-20, Refugio High School), Bobby Witt Jr. (2018-19, Colleyville Heritage High School), and Brett Baty (2017-18, Lake Travis High School), among the state’s list of former award winners.
Gatorade has a long-standing history of serving athlete communities and understands how sports instill valuable lifelong skills on and off the field. Through Gatorade’s “Play it Forward” platform, Mitchell has the opportunity to award a $1,000 grant to a local or national organization of their choosing that helps young athletes realize the benefits of playing sports. Mitchell is also eligible to submit a short video explaining why the organization they chose is deserving of one of twelve $10,000 spotlight grants, which will be announced throughout the year. To date, Gatorade Player of the Year winners’ grants have totaled more than $3.5 million across more than 1,300 organizations.

And just finished his junior year.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Congrats to the 2022 Sinton PIrates as Class 4A Baseball Champs.....and in particular to Blake Mitchell for all of his accolades this season.  Unfortunately my computer went down for the count right during the game.  Had to take it to the repair guy.  He fixed it for now, but I went ahead and got a new one now.  Need it to keep all my business deals loaded on it.  Anyways......it was a great season in Class 4A baseball this season......there were so many really good teams.  But I reckon Sinton was not only the best of the bunch in 4A, but maybe the best high school baseball team in all of Texas this season.  I'ma thinkin' the Pirates could've played Southlake Carroll straight up and maybe won for that Class 6A Championship this season......their team was loaded and very talented.

BTW......I had my son pick me out the right laptop at BestBuy for me.......I'm not a "gamer" or anything like that.  So I ended up with a new updated HP on sale for only $250 out the door.  It's not a whammer jammer like he uses, but for what I am able to do and use it for he says it should last me years.  I guess they have improved and come down in price now for this type.......I had one similar to this one last time and it was around $550 about 4yrs ago.