Can we as a nation ?

BlahBlah

I went cloth shopping today for my two kids (stupid expensive growth spurts).  We went to several places.  Every store had their 4th of July displays out.  I was looking at all of them.  I noticed every single thing that was made in either China, Cambodia, and Vietnam.  Can we at least manufacture our own 4th of July patriotic them shirts, flags, pins, keychains, etc....

This should not be a political issue.  Should be common sense thing.  

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, BlahBlah said:

I went cloth shopping today for my two kids (stupid expensive growth spurts).  We went to several places.  Every store had their 4th of July displays out.  I was looking at all of them.  I noticed every single thing that was made in either China, Cambodia, and Vietnam.  Can we at least manufacture our own 4th of July patriotic them shirts, flags, pins, keychains, etc....

This should not be a political issue.  Should be common sense thing.  

Sure we can...but we wont...unless Americans will work for $0.75 an hour. The business community/USCoC/Wall St do not care about this country...beyond the profits that can be wrung from it. 80 years ago the US was the arsenal of democracy...now those factories are in Red China and the US mid-west is the rust belt. That is the problem with the "shareholder capitalism" we have practiced over the last 4 decades...it values nothing except money. How people that call themselves patriots and love to wrap themselves in the flag can support it just boggles my mind. Rant over lol.

• Roll Eyes 1

23 minutes ago, EnjoyLife said:

Sure we can...but we wont...unless Americans will work for $0.75 an hour. The business community/USCoC/Wall St do not care about this country...beyond the profits that can be wrung from it. 80 years ago the US was the arsenal of democracy...now those factories are in Red China and the US mid-west is the rust belt. That is the problem with the "shareholder capitalism" we have practiced over the last 4 decades...it values nothing except money. How people that call themselves patriots and love to wrap themselves in the flag can support it just boggles my mind. Rant over lol.

So you'll buy the $55 dollar shirt that's made in the states vs the $20 asain country one? 

2 hours ago, trashyhound said:

So you'll buy the $55 dollar shirt that's made in the states vs the $20 asain country one? 

Americans bought "Made in USA" for many generations. Of course, in those days "Made in USA" = high quality and long lasting...sadly that is no longer the case. For the most part items made domestically are no better than the imports...that is what happens when bean counters are in charge (cheapen the product to increase profits). On top of that $trillions that should have gone to workers in the form of wages and benefits have instead been funneled to investors...squeezing people to the point that they have little option except to buy products produced by exploited workers in Asian sweatshops.

Anyway...in answer to your actual question...yes...if that $55 shirt was a much higher quality product. Thing is...just because corporations moved production to low wage places does not mean Americans pay less...the companies just pocket the savings on labor. Why do you think corporate profits soared during the era of offshoring?

I'll disagree on one thing you said,  I still feel the majority of US made products are superior to cheap imports.  Much of my hunting gear and equipment/ tools are US made and far superior to most imports. (Germany excluded, those dudes can make some tools!) 

I agree in theory with your problem above,  but what is your solution?

Tariffs? Trump was crucified for them even though domestic production climbed when he did it.  

How do you level the playing field with countries that allow sweatshops? 

2 hours ago, trashyhound said:

I'll disagree on one thing you said,  I still feel the majority of US made products are superior to cheap imports.  Much of my hunting gear and equipment/ tools are US made and far superior to most imports. (Germany excluded, those dudes can make some tools!) 

As many of you know, I'm a guitarist. Now, I'd LOVE to go out and drop a few grand on a nice Stratocaster or a Martin Acoustic/Electric.

low end Fender American Stratocaster is $1,400. Could I spend that much on one? Sure.  But apparently Fender has gone down in quality (even the American-made ones) over the past few years.

low end Made In America Martin dreadnaught guitar is also $1,400.

low end American Made Taylor is around $1,700.

The two most expensive guitars I own are a Takamine GB7C (Takamine is a Japanese manufacturer), which I think I paid nearly $1,000 for, and a 2014 Gibson LPJ (Gibson is an American guitar manufacturer, but apparently their quality has dropped over the past few years) which was a 10th wedding anniversary gift from my wife, which I think cost around $900.

We also own a Martin Cowboy III, which we got at a Guitar Center sale. They were discontinuing the Cowboy III's, so we got a $1,000 guitar for $175.

That said, I also own a Yamaha bass guitar, and a Made In Mexico (MiM) Fender Telecaster.

Apparently, more and more musicians are being drawn to less expensive guitars. Many of them are likely made in other countries.

8 hours ago, trashyhound said:

Tariffs? Trump was crucified for them even though domestic production climbed when he did it.  

How do you level the playing field with countries that allow sweatshops? 

Trump was right imo when it came to trade...especially trade with Red China.

You can level the playing field with a global labor movement. The goal should be to raise the level of sweatshop workers...not ro bring American workers down to that level. Corporate America does not close a factory in Ohio and replace it with one in ?????? because those workers do a better job...they do it because they want low paid, powerless workers they can exploit to enrich themselves.

1 hour ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

No, commie.....unions did it all.....THEY are just as greedy.......maybe more......

We are in a NO win situation. 

Unions want too much money for something that is made by Americans, mainly automated these days--they have priced themselves out of the market. 

Corporations are run by people who want to make something at the cheapest price--even on "Shark Tank" those "American" investors are asking about the cost of a product and many times will work with people who will turn their products over to China to make them cheaper--so they can make a bigger profit. 

And to top it off, there are very few people left who can use a hammer and a nail to build something on their own. Know one wants to get dirty anymore. The only thing that I have to have help with is "engine" repair, and my father in law helps with that. I build my own fences, I mow my own yard, I plant my own stuff, I build furniture (outdoor only) haven't made but one thing that the wife has left inside. LOL. But she does love the frames I build for her artwork. And it sells, so she gets cheap labor on the frames. I rarely see a dime of it, unless she pays for dinner. :rofl: