Center @Tatum Week 1

Ijustwatch

Week 1  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/27/2022 at 12:30 AM

All 11 offensive starters learning a new offense is often times extremely tough in the first few games……..If the QB is used to running the offense and you have a lineman or two use to the offense, at least half the difficulty is gone………QB can get the skill guys lined up properly - which often times is confusing and leads to called timeouts that might be useful later. Linemen can help the others with assignments. 

51 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

All 11 offensive starters learning a new offense is often times extremely tough in the first few games……..If the QB is used to running the offense and you have a lineman or two use to the offense, at least half the difficulty is gone………QB can get the skill guys lined up properly - which often times is confusing and leads to called timeouts that might be useful later. Linemen can help the others with assignments. 

Tatum got Lance Welch also, he is a very big offensive lineman probably 6'3" 280 or more and has started at center for two years on varsity and one year on JV he fits very well into the triple option scheme and was a good pickup for Tatum. Lances dad is a coach on Keelings staff.  

3 hours ago, cotton84 said:

The biggest factor in changing from a spread system to a smash mouth offense like the flexbone is getting the kids to adapt the physicality that makes that system thrive. I’m not calling Tatum’s kids soft. It just takes time to implement the mentality of toughness that is required to reach the level of success that Waskom reached with it. How long? That all depends on the kids. 

3 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

The biggest factor in changing from a spread system to a smash mouth offense like the flexbone is getting the kids to adapt the physicality that makes that system thrive. I’m not calling Tatum’s kids soft. It just takes time to implement the mentality of toughness that is required to reach the level of success that Waskom reached with it. How long? That all depends on the kids. 

The "biggest factor" for this particular game is: "Will Tatum be ready to hold down Center skill players"? and "will Tatum be able to keep pace with their new offense should Center get loose". Center is loaded at every skill spot. 

19 minutes ago, 89Falcon said:

The "biggest factor" for this particular game is: "Will Tatum be ready to hold down Center skill players"? and "will Tatum be able to keep pace with their new offense should Center get loose". Center is loaded at every skill spot. 

I was speaking more in terms of Tatum’s long term success than the results of one game. As far as Center, you are correct. They are very similar to Timpson pre-Therwanger. Everyone knew they had the pieces for success. They just needed the right guy to put it all together. Is Meeks that guy for Center? I suppose this season will give us some answers. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

I was speaking more in terms of Tatum’s long term success than the results of one game. As far as Center, you are correct. They are very similar to Timpson pre-Therwanger. Everyone knew they had the pieces for success. They just needed the right guy to put it all together. Is Meeks that guy for Center? I suppose this season will give us some answers. 

You are correct one of the things in the triple option and you know this is the fullback gets hit almost on every play, either running the ball or the fake to the FB. Waskom had some good ones Benton, Amie, Reeves & now Hamilton. For the most part most of those played injury free except for Hamilton and he has been banged up some in the past. If Tatum can find a FB that can take the hit and take it to the house they will be in good shape. The FB handoff or fake holds a lot of people in place makes for a good outside game

3 hours ago, Wild74 said:

You are correct one of the things in the triple option and you know this is the fullback gets hit almost on every play, either running the ball or the fake to the FB. Waskom had some good ones Benton, Amie, Reeves & now Hamilton. For the most part most of those played injury free except for Hamilton and he has been banged up some in the past. If Tatum can find a FB that can take the hit and take it to the house they will be in good shape. The FB handoff or fake holds a lot of people in place makes for a good outside game

Not only that, in an offense like the flexbone or the Slot-T, every player on the field, including the QB, has to be a good blocker. I don’t mean willing to go throw a block to spring a guy. I mean dedicated to carrying out a blocking assignment on every snap except when he’s running the ball or throwing it. In addition, it will require a big change in attitude from the O-line. In a spread system, the O-line’s primary job is protection. Most running plays employ a zone blocking scheme. In this system, they go from being protectors to being aggressors. I remember several years ago hearing Andy Evans on the radio going into a playoff game with one of the Slot-T teams (Franklin if memory serves me correctly). He said “there’s no way we can prepare for them in a week. We can show their plays with the scout team, but there’s absolutely no way to simulate the level of physicality that they bring to the field.” I’m sure if you spoke to coaches who have faced Waskom in the last ten or so years, they would tell you something similar. That’s the transition that Tatum’s kids are about to undergo. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know it takes time for sure. If Tatum has Athletes then Tatum will be fine. Like I’ve said on here before the Job keeling and his Staff did at Waskom was a miracle. Probably one of the worst jobs in Texas when they took over in 2010. Three years later played in the semis. Then won back to back state championships. And have been real a few more times. They put that Town on the map. I wish the Stingers would have hired a soccer coach. Lol 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2022 at 1:48 PM, 89Falcon said:

Be sure to check back after the game. Center will not resemble last year's team returning 100% of skill players and nearly all linemen. 

By definition.....they will look almost exactly like last year lol. 

On 6/19/2022 at 11:49 AM, Wild74 said:

Tatum got Lance Welch also, he is a very big offensive lineman probably 6'3" 280 or more and has started at center for two years on varsity and one year on JV he fits very well into the triple option scheme and was a good pickup for Tatum. Lances dad is a coach on Keelings staff.  

We also have CJ Fite who will likely play both ways for Keeling. He's 6'2 280 and has 18 offers on the DL. Fite and Welch side by side are gonna blow some holes wide open. 

On 6/19/2022 at 2:38 PM, 89Falcon said:

Won't be anything we haven't seen before. But it's common knowledge that we are learning a new system and graduated 26 seniors. So the answer to your question is. I don't know, nobody knows. If you're looking for a game with bragging rights.....this one ain't it lol. We have a great coach coming in. Gotta let the man implement his culture and scheme. If we win, great......if not, "yall are loaded, ect, ect." We'll take it on the chin and keep moving. I could care less what our non-district record is this season......just hope we are ready by district. 

On 6/20/2022 at 6:54 AM, Ijustwatch said:

I know it takes time for sure. If Tatum has Athletes then Tatum will be fine. Like I’ve said on here before the Job keeling and his Staff did at Waskom was a miracle. Probably one of the worst jobs in Texas when they took over in 2010. Three years later played in the semis. Then won back to back state championships. And have been real a few more times. They put that Town on the map. I wish the Stingers would have hired a soccer coach. Lol 

We got a few athletes

On 6/14/2022 at 7:23 AM, GWBears01 said:

These games usually end around 63-62 😂 I’ll go with Tatum. 

C'mon now.....that was the previous 2 years. We beat them 68-26 last year lol. We averaged 10.2 yards per carry on them last year. Maybe Keeling can get Watson and the run game working on them. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2022 at 11:42 PM, Eagle8 said:

C'mon now.....that was the previous 2 years. We beat them 68-26 last year lol. We averaged 10.2 yards per carry on them last year. Maybe Keeling can get Watson and the run game working on them. 

Oh, the run game will be a machine!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 89Falcon said:

It will need to be. Looking forward to the shock and crying after this game. 

Shock? We graduated 26 seniors and we're learning a new system. Only shock that can come of this is if you let a smaller school under those conditions win. 

8 minutes ago, Eagle8 said:

Shock? We graduated 26 seniors and we're learning a new system. Only shock that can come of this is if you let a smaller school under those conditions win. 

Looking through the transcript of this thread, I dont see many who think Tatum can lose.