Minister claims 'Bible must give way' to same-sex 'marriage'

Monte1076

6 hours ago, Crawford said:

Obviously he's not a Christian and has no business being a minister. Just another wolf in sheep's clothing, except his is rainbow.

It is a prime example of why the U.S. has the separation of Church and State.  It wasn't to keep religion out of state run institutions, but to prevent the state from forming a National Church as the Church of Scotland and as well England both are.  He is only speaking for the Scottish Government and not for God.  

1 hour ago, DaveTV1 said:

It is a prime example of why the U.S. has the separation of Church and State.  It wasn't to keep religion out of state run institutions, but to prevent the state from forming a National Church as the Church of Scotland and as well England both are.  He is only speaking for the Scottish Government and not for God.  

I agree but a lot of people contradict themselves in this thought process.

1 hour ago, ctown81 said:

I agree but a lot of people contradict themselves in this thought process.

It is not if you understand what our Founding Fathers were writing.  They understood that religion was important to all citizens of the United States including themselves.  They also understood that people should be able to worship God wherever they chose including in Government buildings and schools.  It wasn't until later that their writings were misinterpreted, just as the 2nd Amendment is today.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

It is not if you understand what our Founding Fathers were writing.  They understood that religion was important to all citizens of the United States including themselves.  They also understood that people should be able to worship God wherever they chose including in Government buildings and schools.  It wasn't until later that their writings were misinterpreted, just as the 2nd Amendment is today.

What was exactly misinterpreted?

13 hours ago, ctown81 said:

What was exactly misinterpreted?

I suppose you didn't see what I wrote above.  Why do you think prayers have been held before any Government meeting for years ?  The separation of Church and State isn't even in the Constitution.  What the Constitution does state is "Congress shall establish no law respecting an establishment of religion".  Meaning a National religion will never be established by the Government as it was done in the U.K. and other countries.  Justices took the law too far in wiping out prayer and religion out of all Government property even though they still allow for prayers to be said before the opening of Government meetings, but not school or a football game of all things.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

I suppose you didn't see what I wrote above.  Why do you think prayers have been held before any Government meeting for years ?  The separation of Church and State isn't even in the Constitution.  What the Constitution does state is "Congress shall establish no law respecting an establishment of religion".  Meaning a National religion will never be established by the Government as it was done in the U.K. and other countries.  Justices took the law too far in wiping out prayer and religion out of all Government property even though they still allow for prayers to be said before the opening of Government meetings, but not school or a football game of all things.  

You left out " nor prohibiting the free exercise thereof"......

2 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

An amendment is a change in the constitution. "Freedom of religion" is freedom of religion. Why didn't they say freedom of practicing Christianity." Some founding fathers were in favor of being tolerant of all religions. Mainly Jefferson 

7 hours ago, ctown81 said:

An amendment is a change in the constitution. "Freedom of religion" is freedom of religion. Why didn't they say freedom of practicing Christianity." Some founding fathers were in favor of being tolerant of all religions. Mainly Jefferson 

At the time they wrote the Constitution, Christianity was the predominant religion being practiced in our nation.  I don't think they foresaw any other religion seriously challenging Christianity and establishing itself and they certainly didn't want our government sanctioning it ....

• Like 2

11 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

At the time they wrote the Constitution, Christianity was the predominant religion being practiced in our nation.  I don't think they foresaw any other religion seriously challenging Christianity and establishing itself and they certainly didn't want our government sanctioning it ....

The Constitution doesn't ban any religion, but states have.  

16 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

There were some founding Fathers who were very tolerant of Islam

46 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

The "establishment" clause, for one. Constantly.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion..."

actually HERE is the clause they try to forget......

" or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

11 hours ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

Evidence???

i need to cite American history?

Page 41 in Jefferson's autobiography called the "Autobiography of Thomas Jefferson". Written in 1821.

"The bill for establishing religious freedom, the principles of which had, to a certain degree, been enacted before, I had drawn in all the latitude of reason & right. it still met with opposition; but, with some mutilations in the preamble, it was finally past; and a singular proposition proved that it’s protection of opinion was meant to be universal. where the preamble declares that coercion is a departure from the plan of the holy author of our religion, an amendment was proposed, by inserting the words ‘Jesus Christ’ so that it should read ‘a departure from the plan of Jesus Christ, the holy author of our religion’ the insertion was rejected by a great majority, in proof that they meant to comprehend, within the mantle of it’s protection, the Jew and the Gentile, the Christian and Mahometan, the Hindoo and infidel of every denomination."

Yall have to remember this was post Reformation and Renaissance. The founders got their ideas from enlightenment thinkers who were not huge fans of Christianity due to the divine right of kings and their use of Jesus Christ to oppress the people. (that was king George's justification for what he was doing). They believed in God, but doubt most were Christians due to the landscape at the time.

2 minutes ago, ctown81 said:

i need to cite American history?

Page 41 in Jefferson's autobiography called the "Autobiography of Thomas Jefferson". Written in 1821.

"The bill for establishing religious freedom, the principles of which had, to a certain degree, been enacted before, I had drawn in all the latitude of reason & right. it still met with opposition; but, with some mutilations in the preamble, it was finally past; and a singular proposition proved that it’s protection of opinion was meant to be universal. where the preamble declares that coercion is a departure from the plan of the holy author of our religion, an amendment was proposed, by inserting the words ‘Jesus Christ’ so that it should read ‘a departure from the plan of Jesus Christ, the holy author of our religion’ the insertion was rejected by a great majority, in proof that they meant to comprehend, within the mantle of it’s protection, the Jew and the Gentile, the Christian and Mahometan, the Hindoo and infidel of every denomination."

Yall have to remember this was post Reformation and Renaissance. The founders got their ideas from enlightenment thinkers who were not huge fans of Christianity due to the divine right of kings and their use of Jesus Christ to oppress the people. (that was king George's justification for what he was doing). They believed in God, but doubt most were Christians due to the landscape at the time.

He was tolerant of ALL religions....notice he hadda list.....😂😂😂 nothing there to show an affinity for Islam.......

2 minutes ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

He was tolerant of ALL religions....notice he hadda list.....😂😂😂 nothing there to show an affinity for Islam.......

That was just the one I mentioned. Either way, they were tolerant. Just showing facts.

On 6/16/2022 at 6:48 AM, KirtFalcon said:

The Quran was a bestseller in the 18th Century. 

https://www.history.com/news/thomas-jefferson-quran-rashida-tlaib-keith-ellison