Tyler High @ Marshall Week 1

cujoforlife

Old rivalry renewed  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who Will Win

This poll is closed to new votes

JT has to be the favorite the way both team's off seasons have gone. Marshall learning an entire new system, with a new coaching staff. Lions have been clicking on in the spring with what they have returning, and returning to what Tyler probably should be. Hard to see the Mavs winning this, but who knows.

Not sure if Marshall will be able to keep up with the amount of athletes that JT will have on the field.

Derrick McFall himself is a huge difference maker....I'll take Tyler High by multiple possessions.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Not sure if Marshall will be able to keep up with the amount of athletes that JT will have on the field.

Derrick McFall himself is a huge difference maker....I'll take Tyler High by multiple possessions.

This coaching staff has seen this offense that Marshall will be running. Since it was at Ennis. Back when they were in the same district.

• Like 1

Absolutely no doubt in my mind Tyler should be the favorite in this game.

Just like last season.... defense SHOULD be Marshall's strength this year.   They kept us close in some games that we were clearly out-talented in (New Caney, Longview, Texas High). 

Our offense was difficult to watch at times last year.  It was consistently inconsistent.

I've said it multiple times..... the Mav defense dragged Marshall to victory last season kicking and screaming against the offense's will several times (MP, PT, Bryan Rudder).

But then....the offense would inexplicably have great offensive games like against McKinney North, Hallsville, Whitehouse... all blowout wins.  Made no sense.

If the defense can pick up where they left off.... they could keep this game competitive.

BUT....

How quickly this new offense gels will be key.

We will return JQ Davis at RB, who was arguably the #2 best back in the district last season.  He SHOULD be the #1 runner in 2022, but we will have to see.  He will be spelled by Bird in the backfield, giving Marshall a 1-2 punch in the backfield.  We had a couple of other guys last season that had some good totes that will be back as well.

The WR corps should be fun to watch this season if things come together well.   We have two guys that are 6'5" with pretty good hands.  Not to mention JQ had some great catches last year too.

WR's Jacori Smith and "Giko" McCoy will be keys along with JQ.  Those three guys accounted for about 1300 yards in receiving last season.  We will need them to pick up where they left off.

The big question mark headed into this season is the QB position.  We have three guys that have basically each getting an equal share of snaps during 7 on 7.

Slone Collier will be a junior this season.  He started two games last year (New Caney and Longview) and REALLY struggled as a sophomore.  We switched to a senior QB after that.

Then we lost our Sr QB late last season.... the staff made special packages for two different guys at QB.

Slone returned after the senior was injured and shared QB duties with Bird.  The staff made special packages for each and it really seemed to work.  Bird was more mobile.... Slone was more accurate with his arm.  Slone played in the last 2 district games and sporadically in the two playoff games.  He showed big improvement from September to November.

Slone is likely the starter..... but there is a chance he will share duties.  He has a cannon and can thread a needle.  But he isn't very mobile.  If he gets flushed out of the pocket....he struggles a lot.

Bird could be used at QB in some situations.  He's a great scrambler.  He can chunk it a mile...but he struggles with accuracy.

Zach Smith could also see some action at QB..... I think he is likely the #2 guy.  I think the staff wants Bird in the backfield with JQ.  Zach is mobile too....has a good arm.  But again...not at accurate with the arm.  I think he's a sophomore this season.  But don't quote me on that.

-------------

All this to say..... we have some really good talent returning from a team that went 2 rounds deep last year.  Defense SHOULD be pretty stingy.  Offense has some really good parts (RB, WR).

But there are question marks with QB and OL.

Who knows how smooth the transition to the hybrid Wing T Alvarez has had so much success with at Ennis and Cuero.  

If the transition is smooth and the QB comes around...we could be dangerous.

If things gel slowly.... the start of the season could be rough with Tyler, Longview, and Carthage as 3 of our first four games.

Even if we go (1-3) to start the season..... Im confident we will be competitive in district play.  We have a murder's row in non-district play.  All three teams will make us better.

Hoping for an exciting game....and a possible upset.

But..... as things stand now.... Tyler is the favorite.

----------

Fun Fact:  Tyler is Marshall's oldest football rival.  One year older than Longview.  MHS and Tyler first met in 1908.

I'll have more historical stuff when the game gets closer.

GO MAVS GO!

• Like 1

The key factor is how much can Alvarez implement in the first game. Tyler high has a new qb in this matchup as well. I like Tyler high mainly because our coaches have seen it, and it so happens that Terrell, Tyler high scrimmage the week before, runs the wing T as well. I think it's going to be a competitive game. 

I won't make any votes or predictions until I see our scrimmage vs Legacy.  

I do think our defense will be stingy enough to keep us in the game. We return the core of a defense that held Longview to 14 points while having NO offense to boot. 

I'm waiting to see if we will be able to score enough to even consider winning this game. It's been ugly the last 2 years on O. I'd imagine JA will keep it simple on our young Qbs by relying heavily on JQ and Bird in the backfield. If JT can consistently stop the early version of our running game,  it's theirs to lose. 

It will be interesting to see where our offense is at heading into this game. Most notably the oline. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think JT O and Mav D are both about equal on paper, with neither getting dominated. Thus the deciding factor being JT D vs Mav O. Will Marshall be able to execute an entire new system this early in the season? If so, will JTs defense be good enough to shut it down? 

If we see a clumsy, error prone, early rendition of a wing T, it's definitely JTs game to lose. If we see a physical Mav o-line that is able to create space for the 2 headed monster backfield, it could be a barnburner. Mav Qb needs to be able to just manage the game without much pressure.

5 hours ago, mav01 said:

I think JT O and Mav D are both about equal on paper, with neither getting dominated. Thus the deciding factor being JT D vs Mav O. Will Marshall be able to execute an entire new system this early in the season? If so, will JTs defense be good enough to shut it down? 

If we see a clumsy, error prone, early rendition of a wing T, it's definitely JTs game to lose. If we see a physical Mav o-line that is able to create space for the 2 headed monster backfield, it could be a barnburner. Mav Qb needs to be able to just manage the game without much pressure.

I have to agree with this. Like you said, can Marshall do enough on offense against Tyler high D. IMO, Tyler high has another advantage. Our coaches have seen this offense before from when Alvarez was at Ennis. TH still has plenty of coaches on the staff who coached against him. 

12 hours ago, CUJONATION83 said:

I have to agree with this. Like you said, can Marshall do enough on offense against Tyler high D. IMO, Tyler high has another advantage. Our coaches have seen this offense before from when Alvarez was at Ennis. TH still has plenty of coaches on the staff who coached against him. 

On paper this should be one of JT's best team in several yrs.  The def should overall be better. They return like 9 starters and added some big time players. Off return everybody and O-line is bigger this yr. Only ONE question mark...QB.  That could be the downfall of this team.  They don't have a qb for this class and the two they are counting on have no experience at the varsity level.  

All there yrs of elite qb's at JT and now they can't find one. Hopefully these guys work out.

1 hour ago, JTFAN99 said:

On paper this should be one of JT's best team in several yrs.  The def should overall be better. They return like 9 starters and added some big time players. Off return everybody and O-line is bigger this yr. Only ONE question mark...QB.  That could be the downfall of this team.  They don't have a qb for this class and the two they are counting on have no experience at the varsity level.  

All there yrs of elite qb's at JT and now they can't find one. Hopefully these guys work out.

Yep, but we will just have to hope for the best. Don't be surprised if JT runs alot more this year.