Tyler High @ Marshall Week 1

cujoforlife

Old rivalry renewed  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who Will Win

This poll is closed to new votes

No doubt Tyler should be the favorite. 

Too many question marks for Marshall with a new offense and a new QB.

Defense should be good enough to keep it close….. but if the offense is sloppy, messy, turnover prone or just flat out non existent, it could be ugly. 

But if the offense is just…. Efficient…. We could challenge and possibly steal one if the defense plays well. 

But until we see this new offense.  It’s hard to know what to expect. 

3 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

On paper this should be one of JT's best team in several yrs.  The def should overall be better. They return like 9 starters and added some big time players. Off return everybody and O-line is bigger this yr. Only ONE question mark...QB.  That could be the downfall of this team.  They don't have a qb for this class and the two they are counting on have no experience at the varsity level.  

All there yrs of elite qb's at JT and now they can't find one. Hopefully these guys work out.

Is Watkins going to be the starter ? 

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

No doubt Tyler should be the favorite. 

Too many question marks for Marshall with a new offense and a new QB.

Defense should be good enough to keep it close….. but if the offense is sloppy, messy, turnover prone or just flat out non existent, it could be ugly. 

But if the offense is just…. Efficient…. We could challenge and possibly steal one if the defense plays well. 

But until we see this new offense.  It’s hard to know what to expect. 

Have you seen this new at work?

11 hours ago, CUJONATION83 said:

Yep, but we will just have to hope for the best. Don't be surprised if JT runs alot more this year.

I don't mean to downplay things, maybe they have found a great qb. I'm just saying its really the biggest question mark for this team. 

On 7/8/2022 at 11:24 PM, cujoforlife said:

https://youtu.be/76QS1gK5NYA

this is the Ennis vs Canutillo game.

See....IMHO... this offense isn't as wild of a switch as some people think it is for us.  

Run based.... with a respectable passing game.  

This isn't the wing T Allen Wilson was running at Tyler in the 90's.  This is much more wide open....which is what Marshall has been doing for the last 20+ years.

The biggest difference is having the QB under center instead of in the shotgun.

That shot gun has always drove me absolutely wild when it would be 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1 and we would still be in a shotgun.... why????  Get under center and make the distance to the first down as short as possible.  Maddening.... but you see it at EVERY level of football......

I know the blocking schemes are different.  And the progressions for the QB are different with the Wing T......

But I'm thinking this isn't as wild a change as some are anticipating....... it's not like we were running a wild wide open west coast offense.  

This isn't JT (Wing T), Lake Highlands (Wishbone) and Plano (Option) offense of the 90's.... it's a hybrid.... 

I just hope we don't come out fumbling, tossing interceptions, and going backwards more than we are going forward.

We will get run out of the stadium if that happens.

It'll be interesting to see how much coaching can close the gap between the roster levels...

Because Tyler has a heavy,  dang near lopsided advantage in rosters....especially with Montana Warren gone.

I have no idea how Marshall will be able to slow down McFall, and block Tyler's defensive front. 

• Like 1

On 7/10/2022 at 1:04 PM, Mavchamp said:

See....IMHO... this offense isn't as wild of a switch as some people think it is for us.  

Run based.... with a respectable passing game.  

This isn't the wing T Allen Wilson was running at Tyler in the 90's.  This is much more wide open....which is what Marshall has been doing for the last 20+ years.

The biggest difference is having the QB under center instead of in the shotgun.

That shot gun has always drove me absolutely wild when it would be 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1 and we would still be in a shotgun.... why????  Get under center and make the distance to the first down as short as possible.  Maddening.... but you see it at EVERY level of football......

I know the blocking schemes are different.  And the progressions for the QB are different with the Wing T......

But I'm thinking this isn't as wild a change as some are anticipating....... it's not like we were running a wild wide open west coast offense.  

This isn't JT (Wing T), Lake Highlands (Wishbone) and Plano (Option) offense of the 90's.... it's a hybrid.... 

I just hope we don't come out fumbling, tossing interceptions, and going backwards more than we are going forward.

We will get run out of the stadium if that happens.

But people still get mad if you under center and you still don’t get it. Most of it has to do with old vs new. You hear it all the time in the stands. “Back in my day”…. They hate everything new until they start winning. Then all of a sudden it is okay. Then when they lose one or two games, then it’s this ….. coach doesn’t know what he is doing.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, cujoforlife said:

But people still get mad if you under center and you still don’t get it. Most of it has to do with old vs new. You hear it all the time in the stands. “Back in my day”…. They hate everything new until they start winning. Then all of a sudden it is okay. Then when they lose one or two games, then it’s this ….. coach doesn’t know what he is doing.

FACTS! Like I said, the new offense is going to take time, and I don't believe Marshall will be clicking until mid-season  

• Like 1

On 6/18/2022 at 8:34 AM, cujoforlife said:

This coaching staff has seen this offense that Marshall will be running. Since it was at Ennis. Back when they were in the same district.

His offense is not like it was at Ennis...a bunch of the same concepts but at Cuero he spread it out and threw way more. Cuero QB threw for like 2800 yards and like 28 tds. ..I am betting he does that in MArshall as well

There will most likely be a few errors and blunders that early in season. Can we at least play keep away ending in scores a few times? Obviously the defense will need to keep JT under 30 points or it won't matter.

The longer we sustain drives, the easier that will be. That will rest on the shoulders of the oline. JT cant live in Marshall's backfield or the errors could be too much to overcome.

2 hours ago, BlackShirtD said:

Man, I have to say Marshall and Alvarez win this one.   I think he will have them really prepared for this game.

We're going to see. I just doubt he can have Marshall ready that soon, but you never know. Marshall will be facing a tough test in Tyler high. 

If JT loses this game. Can we expect them to compete in 5a d1. Losing to Marshall is not a bad thing. But with all JT has coming back and Marshall learning a new system. I expect JT to win this by a few scores. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, VonG said:

If JT loses this game. Can we expect them to compete in 5a d1. Losing to Marshall is not a bad thing. But with all JT has coming back and Marshall learning a new system. I expect JT to win this by a few scores. 

EXACTLY 💯! Marshall is a SOLID program, but I see Tyler High as the favorite. 

1 hour ago, VonG said:

The hype on Cujo this season would no doubt take a massive downturn it JT doesn’t win this one going away imo. With Marshall still trying to find themselves under a new head coach and system, and with all that Cujo has returning, this should be on y’all win going away to be honest. Especially to compete in D1 this year.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BlackShirtD said:

Man, I have to say Marshall and Alvarez win this one.   I think he will have them really prepared for this game.

Honestly if we lost to you guys we have no chance. Nothing against Marshall personally. But we won’t make it the rest of the way with harder competition. 

• Like 1