Tyler High @ Marshall Week 1

cujoforlife

Old rivalry renewed  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who Will Win

This poll is closed to new votes

On 7/8/2022 at 6:55 PM, JTFAN99 said:

On paper this should be one of JT's best team in several yrs.  The def should overall be better. They return like 9 starters and added some big time players. Off return everybody and O-line is bigger this yr. Only ONE question mark...QB.  That could be the downfall of this team.  They don't have a qb for this class and the two they are counting on have no experience at the varsity level.  

All there yrs of elite qb's at JT and now they can't find one. Hopefully these guys work out.

Well we have to wait and see what the Qb is like. Im sure if the Holt was not hurt last season people would of said how good that team was. If the Qb this year is good or atleast manageable, they can be dangerous. If not ,then like then of last season, they will go as far as their limitations takes them and usually thats not far. 

On 7/15/2022 at 11:21 AM, CUJONATION83 said:

We're going to see. I just doubt he can have Marshall ready that soon, but you never know. Marshall will be facing a tough test in Tyler high. 

I don’t have a dog in the fight but I do know Alvarez will coach ‘‘em up and be very prepared with it being game 1.   JMO

On 7/15/2022 at 3:20 PM, NODAYSOFFTX said:

Honestly with the talent JT should has coming back this should be by a couple of scores. It would be a letdown if they lost..

If JT is loaded with returning players it’s going to be a tough game for Marshall to win BUT,  it will not be a blowout.   

2 hours ago, BlackShirtD said:

If JT is loaded with returning players it’s going to be a tough game for Marshall to win BUT,  it will not be a blowout.   

I still think Tyler is the favorite……but I think some are forgetting we also have 7 or 8 players returning on EACH side of the ball from an 8-4 team last year.  

We played 3 Div I teams last year.  We beat McKinney North.  We were only down 7 to New Caney (14-7) late in that game.  And we lost to a very good Longview team 14-0. 

I have no idea what to expect from our offense.  But it’s really not a DRASTIC change from what we’ve been doing.  The base formations are different, but the mix of run and pass is essentially the same. 

Defense should be pretty good. And I’m not 100% that Warren won’t be in Marshall when school starts. We shall see. 

I just want a close competitive game. Win or lose. I’m not expecting a blowout unless our offense stinks the place up…. Which is a distinct possibility.  But I’m not expecting it. 

3 hours ago, BlackShirtD said:

I would be shocked if this game is within 14 points. If we come out barley winning we are in trouble the rest of the way. Just my opinion 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

I still think Tyler is the favorite……but I think some are forgetting we also have 7 or 8 players returning on EACH side of the ball from an 8-4 team last year.  

We played 3 Div I teams last year.  We beat McKinney North.  We were only down 7 to New Caney (14-7) late in that game.  And we lost to a very good Longview team 14-0. 

Coach Alvarez is a top notch coach too.  I think it's going to be a close game. 

15 hours ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

I would be shocked if this game is within 14 points. If we come out barley winning we are in trouble the rest of the way. Just my opinion 

nah.  It's an old rivalry, They got a great coach and lots of players returning. I expect a close game. 

I don't think either teams season will be effected based on the outcome of the first game. Marshall could win or get blown out and still be a different team before playoffs. 

JT could lose or win a close one and still have a dang good season. Many things could go wrong this early. Teams improve the most between game 1 and 2. Most of time players are still being moved around and evaluated for different positions. 

I expect a hard fought battle with both teams coming out better because of it. I think later season version of Marshall could be very competitive in the D1 district. If they hit their potential.

On 7/16/2022 at 11:55 PM, NODAYSOFFTX said:

Given your horrendous record of picking games the last couple of years....you picking Tyler should give Mav fans a pretty good feeling 🤣

I KID....I KID.....

No doubt Tyler is the favorite.  They are a D-1 school that has almost 700 more students than us.

But I'm not sure I understand the predictions of a blowout.... we have 7-8 players back on each side of the line.  We were 8-4 last season.... 4 of those four losses were to teams that went AT LEAST three rounds deep in the playoffs.  All of them were playoff teams.

The only team that blew us out was Crosby....they whipped us good and proper.

I don't see how Tyler winning by only 1-2 scores is somehow directly correlated to a poor season for the Lions.

I need a wait and see for the Mav offense....but if it comes together...this game could be more competitive than some think.  We hung with 5A Div I teams last year....New Caney.... beat McNorth.... and didn't get run out of the stadium vs. Longview for a change.

43 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

and didn't get run out of the stadium vs. Longview for a change.

Y'all's defense was good that day, no doubt, but man alive...that was one of the worst games I have ever seen us play under John King. Granted not as bad as the game against McKinney North later in the year, that will be hard to top ever, but Allen did everything he could to give y'all that game.

1 hour ago, LoboFan07 said:

Y'all's defense was good that day, no doubt, but man alive...that was one of the worst games I have ever seen us play under John King. Granted not as bad as the game against McKinney North later in the year, that will be hard to top ever, but Allen did everything he could to give y'all that game.

If we would have an an ounce of offense that night… it might have been even closer.   But a sophomore QB getting only his second varsity start against a defense like Longview’s was too much to ask.

We we’re a completely different team after Olvera was made QB1.  When he went down later in the season… our struggles returned until he returned.

Luckily….Alvarez’s offense is less QB-centric than we’ve been… which is a good thing considering we seem to struggle keeping them healthy all season.  

So Slone doesn’t have to come out guns blazing… threading 50 yard bombs like they were trying to make him do last season.  He’s just got to be smart.   Short passes. Make your progressions. 

I think our defense… as long as the offense doesn’t stink the place up and have turnovers… can keep us close in most games.  

I could be wrong…… I’ve been wrong before…

But unless our offense just stinks the place up….I think it’s going to be close. 

Tyler is….and should be the favorite…no doubt. They are a Div I school that’s significantly bigger than us with a large core of returning players.

But we’ve played….and beaten Div I schools recently.  And we have a large core returning too.

Just boils down to how well the new systems are clicking in week 1. 

12 hours ago, RogerDorn said:

anxious to see how it plays out, I think it’ll be a good game. McFall will be a problem, but Marshall RB can be as well...both return a good amount on defense.

Tyler high has other players besides McFall, but you're right, he is THE guy 

• Like 1

On 7/28/2022 at 11:52 AM, TxBroadcaster said:

I will disagree there. 

Fair enough....let me rephrase.....

It appears that Alvarez's offense doesn't require a QB that can thread a needle from 40-50 yard out.  The guy doesn't have to be a 4 or 5 star QB to thrive.

Most of the film I've seen of his offenses has a QB that can complete shorter....manageable passes.  5, 10, 15 yards.  Sure....he will go long on Occassion.. but it's not bread and butter.  IMHO so many OC's and coaches try to force their QB's to be something they aren't.  And it leads to a lot of 3rd and longs... 4th and longs..... those long incompletions are wasted downs a lot of times.

Not relying on that long pass....and leaning on shorter passes.... and a perfect mix of running the ball between multiple backs and tight ends can be tough to stop for a lot of defenses.  Without a magician at QB.

Guess that's what I was trying to say.

That being said....I think the QB we have proved to us last year how much he could improve.  As a sophomore... he was pretty brutal in his first two games (New Caney and Longview).  But when he returned late in the season due to the starter going down.... he showed HUGE improvement.  We just needed to survive...and he was efficient to keep us from losing a district game.  He's worked his tail off this summer.   I think he will show big improvements this year too as a junior.