Tyler High @ Marshall Week 1

cujoforlife

Old rivalry renewed  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who Will Win

This poll is closed to new votes

47 minutes ago, mav01 said:

I'm sure he was saying that coming from a bigger school perspective. Overall, yes Gilmer CH is one of most intriguing games in the state. 

Marshall and JT has plenty of history together. One has always been bigger than the other. So I don't but into that talk about size differences. Marshall is not scared. The mavs are coming into that game expecting to win.

4 minutes ago, VonG said:

Marshall and JT has plenty of history together. One has always been bigger than the other. So I don't but into that talk about size differences. Marshall is not scared. The mavs are coming into that game expecting to win.

Yes we expect to play and compete with everyone on our schedule. We play Longview every year. Along with other bigger schools. I think Texas High is usually much bigger than Marshall as well. Usually teetering between big and small 5a. JT has a ton of athletes but Marshall will be very physical and limit the big plays. I'm sure McFall will get his but if we can limit, I think can make it interesting. 

Still have some kinks to get out but the offense played pretty well in the intrasquad scrimmage.  They get to practice against a stout D. Although many defensive studs play on offense this year. Alvarez is going to get the most out of his top guys. It's a big reason for keeping the conditioning up.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Some great people.  But most definitely homers for the teams they were calling.  It’s one of the joys of hometown radio.  No need to be unbiased. 

@Matt for Jax.  @RandyJohnson for PT.  The Hallsville guys are absolutely hysterical. Chase and his crew for Marshall.

Not really familiar with the MP and Nac crews…. But I’m sure it’s more of the same.  Wonder what will happen with WH since Bryan Houston is headed to Longview. 

@Mavchampthanks! Sometimes . . . when Jacksonville scores . . . my voice gets as high as a middle school girl. I have to hold my mic behind my back sometimes when a a call doesn't go our way. Sadly, it still comes across sometimes. :) There's no doubt who the home crews are pulling for. We're not ESPN, CBS, or NBC. Of course each crew is pulling for their team! Not sure what else people would expect, geez. I think the Gilmer guys are great! I worked with Bryan Houston for 6 years on JAX games. Total pro, Longview will be pleased. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, VonG said:

Generally speaking….. there can be a pretty big difference in numbers between a 5A Div I school and a 5A Div II school.  

Tyler…. on average…..has about 600 more than every school in our district except Texas High.   In most cases… that’s a pretty significant difference.

What works in our favor is that historically for the last few years Tyler’s football numbers have been abnormally low for a 5A Div I school, while Marshall’s is abnormally high for a 5A Div II school.   That closes the gap a bit. 

What can’t be over looked is the number of blue chip players Tyler has.  Marshall is a veteran team…. But we aren’t loaded with 4/5 star talent. JQ Davis at RB is about it.

This game….IMHO… comes down to two/three things:  

1.  How quickly the Mav offense gels.  Or how much they struggle. 
2.  Conditioning.  If Tyler isn’t in shape… Marshall will make them pay. Conditioning will not be an issue. 
3.  Can Holmes out-coach Alvarez or can Alvarez out-coach Holmes?  

I’m a self admitted Marshall homer. But I’m a realistic homer.  I still think Tyler is a favorite. But I won’t be shocked if this is a close game. 

Let’s go shock the world, baby. 

1 minute ago, Matt said:

@Mavchampsometimes . . . when Jacksonville scores . . . my voice gets as high as a middle school girl. I have to hold my mic behind my back sometimes when a a call doesn't go our way. Sadly, it still comes across sometimes. :) There's no doubt who the home crews are pulling for. We're not ESPN, CBS, or NBC. Of course each crew is pulling for their team! Not sure what else people would expect, geez. I think the Gilmer guys are great! I worked with Bryan Houston for 6 years on JAX games. Total pro, Longview will be pleased. 

I love the homerism of each broadcast. Even if I sometimes disagree with what is said. 

You do a first class broadcast.  I hope Jacksonville knows how lucky they are. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Generally speaking….. there can be a pretty big difference in numbers between a 5A Div I school and a 5A Div II school.  

Tyler…. on average…..has about 600 more than every school in our district except Texas High.   In most cases… that’s a pretty significant difference.

What works in our favor is that historically for the last few years Tyler’s football numbers have been abnormally low for a 5A Div I school, while Marshall’s is abnormally high for a 5A Div II school.   That closes the gap a bit. 

What can’t be over looked is the number of blue chip players Tyler has.  Marshall is a veteran team…. But we aren’t loaded with 4/5 star talent. JQ Davis at RB is about it.

This game….IMHO… comes down to two/three things:  

1.  How quickly the Mav offense gels.  Or how much they struggle. 
2.  Conditioning.  If Tyler isn’t in shape… Marshall will make them pay. Conditioning will not be an issue. 
3.  Can Holmes out-coach Alvarez or can Alvarez out-coach Holmes?  

I’m a self admitted Marshall homer. But I’m a realistic homer.  I still think Tyler is a favorite. But I won’t be shocked if this is a close game. 

Let’s go shock the world, baby. 

I know this was with another school in Ennis, but Holmes is 3-1 against Alvarez and Tyler’s conditioning has been good with the new strength and conditioning coach Dan Eason, who came on 2 years ago I believe. I agree it will come down to Marshall's ability to execute on offense. 

5 minutes ago, CUJONATION83 said:

I know this was with another school in Ennis, but Holmes is 3-1 against Alvarez and Tyler’s conditioning has been good with the new strength and conditioning coach Dan Eason, who came on 2 years ago I believe. I agree it will come down to Marshall's ability to execute on offense. 

That was also with some very good Tyler teams in that span if I recall correctly. 

5 hours ago, CUJONATION83 said:

True and Tyler’s numbers are over 150 plus as of right now. This team is not too far from those imo.

Not saying they aren’t. I don’t know much about Tyler of late.  

But comparing a team that was 6-5 last year to teams that were in the quarterfinals or semifinals seems like a big jump.  

5 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

But comparing a team that was 6-5 last year to teams that were in the quarterfinals or semifinals seems like a big jump.  

If you knew tyler high circumstances after starting 5-2 last year it would be a no brainer to think of them on the same level.

5 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Until Tyler High fix the qb problem the out put will always be the same

12 hours ago, VonG said:

The total numbers of students at Tyler High and even Mt Pleasant are somewhat misleading. If you look at the demographics, you would see that Marshall and Tyler High are pretty much equal in terms of kids that come out for football. I would almost bet that Marshall usually has more kids than Tyler High in their football program. 

On 8/14/2022 at 9:36 PM, Mavchamp said:

Are you old enough to remember Smoaky calling REL games on KTBB?  Most definitely not unbiased.  The fact that he was so into REL winning is what made him great. 

And back in the day….. when KEZY was doing JT’s games…. Also not unbiased.  In fact… their booth guys loved the term “pisspoor” when they disagreed with an official’s call.

I have to disagree about Smoaky. I always thought he called the games down the middle, which is why he is the best high school guy I have ever heard.  I remember one time he went on TV and pick JT to beat Lee. 

23 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

The total numbers of students at Tyler High and even Mt Pleasant are somewhat misleading. If you look at the demographics, you would see that Marshall and Tyler High are pretty much equal in terms of kids that come out for football. I would almost bet that Marshall usually has more kids than Tyler High in their football program. 

Football has been running in the 150-180 range for the last 10 years or so.   Got down below 100 during the Abyss Years of ‘11 and ‘12.  Program lows in every respect of the imagination.  Thankful it was only 2 seasons.

Interested to see where MHS enrollment lands. It’s been ticking up 20-30 every year for the last 3-4 years.  Could top the 1500 mark for the first time in about 15 years.  

1 hour ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

If you knew tyler high circumstances after starting 5-2 last year it would be a no brainer to think of them on the same level.

I didn’t mean that as a slam against Tyler High.   It was more about who they share region II with that makes me skeptical about a qtr final or semifinal finish.  It’s loaded with teams that could be a major roadblock for the Lions. 

57 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

I have to disagree about Smoaky. I always thought he called the games down the middle, which is why he is the best high school guy I have ever heard.  I remember one time he went on TV and pick JT to beat Lee. 

Why did the other radio station close that air JT football?

2 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

I know. That's why I don’t buy into the d1 d2 classification when it comes to Marshall vs JT. They both are probably equal when it comes to football participation numbers. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cujoforlife said:

Why did the other radio station close that air JT football?

Im sure when the Blaze (102.9 fm) came on air, it was the beginning of the end. Then 107.3 fm change to old school r&b.  By this time, I heard KZEY was having some financial issues. I think like 2008 or so is when KZEY finally went off the air.  The owner Mr. Russell was quite a character. He owned several radio stations in the south, but I think he got sick and died like 5 years or so after he shut down KZEY.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Football has been running in the 150-180 range for the last 10 years or so.   Got down below 100 during the Abyss Years of ‘11 and ‘12.  Program lows in every respect of the imagination.  Thankful it was only 2 seasons.

Interested to see where MHS enrollment lands. It’s been ticking up 20-30 every year for the last 3-4 years.  Could top the 1500 mark for the first time in about 15 years.  

alot more kids than JT.  120-130 is JT high range. But I hear its higher this yr.

On 8/14/2022 at 3:05 PM, NODAYSOFFTX said:

How bad is it? Lol 

Gilmer can do no wrong and everybody else is holding personal fouling sideline warning wearing illegal cleats and wateva else they can come up with

And don't let Gilmer be winning...it's nauseating to listen to. Black flag this...black flag that...get off the gas🤨

• LOL! 4

4 hours ago, gtee2 said:

Gilmer can do no wrong and everybody else is holding personal fouling sideline warning wearing illegal cleats and wateva else they can come up with

And don't let Gilmer be winning...it's nauseating to listen to. Black flag this...black flag that...get off the gas🤨

🤣🤣🤣

9 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

Im sure when the Blaze (102.9 fm) came on air, it was the beginning of the end. Then 107.3 fm change to old school r&b.  By this time, I heard KZEY was having some financial issues. I think like 2008 or so is when KZEY finally went off the air.  The owner Mr. Russell was quite a character. He owned several radio stations in the south, but I think he got sick and died like 5 years or so after he shut down KZEY.

Oh okay.