Tyler High @ Marshall Week 1

cujoforlife

Old rivalry renewed  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who Will Win

This poll is closed to new votes

18 minutes ago, cujoforlife said:

Everyone else. 

cmon now..lufkin maybe. Marshall beat North last year and I promise they are better than the Forney team that’s played Texas High passed 2 years . Horn 2-7 last year, North 1-9 , west 3-7 . Marshall return 14/15 players...they aren’t a bad team

Even though it’s preseason, congrats Mavericks. It seemed as if those running backs are hard to bring down. They took it to TH. MM coach call a good game. Cut down on those penalty, and a little discipline y’all should have a heck of a season.

Tyler High, this is no surprise. Do your research and the 1st games, you will see this is nothing new under the sun.

It’s going to take the whole preseason to get things ready on offense. The defensive scheme was way to soft, needs to scrap.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cujo2016 said:

Even though it’s preseason, congrats Mavericks. It seemed as if those running backs are hard to bring down. They took it to TH. MM coach call a good game. Cut down on those penalty, and a little discipline y’all should have a heck of a season.

Tyler High, this is no surprise. Do your research and the 1st games, you will see this is nothing new under the sun.

It’s going to take the whole preseason to get things ready on offense. The defensive scheme was way to soft, needs to scrap.

Totally agree. Defense was abysmal, but credit Marshall. 

41 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

I'm shocked at this score. Wow.

Wasn’t as close as it looks.  Tyler got a late TD.

I felt Tyler was the favorite.  But I knew the possibility was there. 

We got a lot of work to do though.  We were messy in a lot of areas. 

Good luck to the Lions the rest of the way! Ill def be interested in how the game next week turns out.

I know the o-line and the rbs were the difference but i have to say how impressed i am with Collier Slone. He wasnt asked to win the game but he showed great control of the offense and made on time accurate throws when needed to move the chains. Much improved from last season and i think this is the perfect offense for him. We will probably need him and the wrs more next week. Im excited to watch his progression throughout the year.

Best of luck to Tyler the rest of the way.   I much preferred this game over a Houston (New Caney) or DFW (McNorth) teams like we’ve had recently.   As a history buff…. Gotta love playing old rivals. 

————————

Marshall played well in some areas. But we had some glaring issues that will have to improve if we plan to make any noise this year. 

1.  Our kicker was out.  Cost us 4 points in PATs.  We MUST be able to kick extra points. And we’ve gotta have someone that can punt.  Going for it on 4th down is dangerous. 

2. O-line was much improved in the running schemes. But the pass blocking was rough.  Had the QB scrambling.  NOT his forte. 

3. Consistency at QB. He made some really good throws. Made some not so good ones too.  1000 times better than this time last year. He isn’t tossing it up in desperation just to have it intercepted. He throws it away.  Big improvement.  He’s a junior.  He’s showing progress. 

4. Fumbled snaps. We’re consistent in this. No matter who the coach is.  We were lucky a few times. 

5.  Defensive penalties. I think we had 4 different 15 yard defensive flags. Maybe 5. Two of them directly lead to Tyler scores. 

6.  Secondary got torched a few times. Pass happy teams will eat our lunch if that continues.  Pine tree, Hallsville, Texas High, Whitehouse….. and Longview (if they choose to pass). 

Overall… gotta be pleased.  A win is a win.  Was fun.

On to Longview. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, The Real Mavfan said:

Good luck to the Lions the rest of the way! Ill def be interested in how the game next week turns out.

I know the o-line and the rbs were the difference but i have to say how impressed i am with Collier Slone. He wasnt asked to win the game but he showed great control of the offense and made on time accurate throws when needed to move the chains. Much improved from last season and i think this is the perfect offense for him. We will probably need him and the wrs more next week. Im excited to watch his progression throughout the year.

Agree 100%. 

Walking in new, only armed with some knowledge of Alvarez's reputation, I was pleasantly surprised.  Kudos to Coach and Staff!  He had the dudes ready to dude.  Fairly solid play on both sides of the ball.  Some (more than enough) game 1 high emotion type penalties and a muffed punt return, that all but handed JT a sixer, was what kept this game from being completely out of Lion reach!  All and all, impressive first outing for the Mavs.  Clean up the penalties, mental mistakes, and some better pass protection....season will look very promising.  Time will tell the tale.

Keep grinding Mavs!